Moonraker Shuttle; Take two

PHArchivist

Master Member
Hi all...

This is a project I've taken on for a fellow stalwart Bond fan and RPF member. In fact he may be our resident Bond expert. And he has been patient as a saint as I plug away at the kit (while balacing other projects as well)...

This is another 1:72 scale shuttle kit, done ala the Moonraker birds from the film of the same name. For those of you who transverse both the Gen modeling forum and the Studio Scale forum, you may recall a thread I began exploring the scale of this kit and how it relates to the studio models. I believe we concluded that the 1:72 scale kit is about 10% - 20% smaller than the studio models.

This particular kit has been a bit of a challenge based on the kit itself. It has required a few more additional steps than the kit I completed for my own collection, ranging from sanding smooth some raised panel lines, to entirely rebuilding the vertical stabilizer. All the more reason why I appreciate the patience at hand. :)

Here are some progress shots. The base in these shots will be used for my own kit (the completed bird in the one shot included), where as the one I will supply with this build-up will have a notably smoother finish on the wood...

;)

I've got more pics ut they're all of the various stages of the vertical stabilizer re-build... Not sure how interesting they would be...

<div class='quotetop'>(The Mantis @ Jun 19 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]1264106[/snapback]</div>
Looking GREAT... I am sure that Bond fan will be one happy camper when he receives it. Lucky stiff.
[/b]

Gee.....can't imagine who that would be................. :p :rolleyes

Started the second side of the vertical stabilizer today...

Its a process of building up layers of a sculptable filler over a styrene core, so I can create the correct shape and cross-section.

The stabilizer should be complete by the end of this up coming week. Once attached, then final assemble will begin (was set back due to the stabilizer work), then primer and paint work.

Looking good Rob..

Is that the same 78/79 origonal kit I got?? It looks it.
If it is, now you can see what I was talking about with stablizer on mine, I just decided to leave mine tough.

I still havn't finished mine yet, I got the orange stripe painted on it and I got the decals from Jbot waiting next to it, but other projects come up and I just don't finish it. :lol

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Lynn

Excellent. Darned excellent. B) :thumbsup

BTW "Moonraker" came out BEFORE the first actual space shuttle was launched. It's funny to look now on that sequence of one, two, three, four, HOW many shuttles going up in a row. :lol

In reality I don't think in 25 years we've ever had two shuttles on the pad simultaneously more than once or twice , much less rapid fire launces as seen in Moonraker. :unsure

Ah the magic of the movies. :lol

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jun 20 2006, 02:00 AM) [snapback]1264279[/snapback]</div>
Looking good Rob..

Is that the same 78/79 origonal kit I got?? It looks it.
If it is, now you can see what I was talking about with stablizer on mine, I just decided to leave mine tough.

I still havn't finished mine yet, I got the orange stripe painted on it and I got the decals from Jbot waiting next to it, but other projects come up and I just don't finish it. :lol

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Lynn
[/b]

Thanks Lynn...

Yeah, in the nose-on shot (with Yoda's feet) you can make out the slight warp to the (ship's) left. Not only did it lean, but it had a minor little twist to it too. I tried boiling it to soften and straighten the styrene, but that was a miserable failure.

So I cut the shape out of 1/8 styene, ran a length of sprue along the styrene to build up the diamond-shaped cross-section. My initial plan was to bend thinner styrene over the sprue to make an outter shell, but opted to go with the filler. Its acutaly an Elmer's wood filler I've fallen in love with...

The pics above do not show the completed side -- it wasn't quite done yet (as it is now). Also, the beauty of it is how well the filler worked with the sprue "spine" to create the correct shape, and that is difficult to capture on camera.

No major update today - just another layer on the vertical stabilizer. Will post updated ics of the stabilizer possibly tomorrow. FYI I may have to take down pics as I put new ones up...

That's looking great.

The molds for that kit are really showing their age now. It's been quite a number of years since I saw one of those kits that didn't have some sort of warping or fit problems. You're managing to overcome those problems.

Thanks.

I believe I have the stabilizer done. A coat of primer is drying over night. One last check tomorrow for any deformatiopns or depressions, then time to move on with the project.

Good progress this weekend... Wing assembly has been attached as well as the nacelles that sit either side of the vertical stabilizer. Will try to add a progress shot in the nex=xt day or two.

Fantastic.

Jaws would approve. :D

jaws.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 3 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]1273278[/snapback]</div>
Fantastic.

Jaws would approve. :D

jaws.jpg

[/b]

:lol

Added filler to the fuselage/wing join; will sand tomorrow after curing. Added a cool feature -- l locked in with epoxy putty a small plastic measuring cup inside the cargo bay just behind the cockpit. Here's why:

Even a stock out of the box build leaves the model very tail-heavy due to so much more plastic in the rear. Plus, the scratch-built vertical stabilizer is very heavy as well. With the cup, I wil add in lead shot to balance the ship since the mounting point is not at the center of gravity, but centered on the ship itself.

Say guys. I got the Tamiya Space Shuttle kits hald done years ago.

I presumed the Moonraker shuttle is identical to any other space shuttles(?) So, anywhere I can get reference to make decals of the Tamiya?

Thanks.

B

Finnessed the wing/fuselage joins today prepping for paint. Also annded some foam into some of the cavities for a more solid fill...

Here is a progress shot from a couple of days ago showing the foam-filled fueslage and fixed cup with the lead counterweight. The slot in the rear will accept the tab on the scratch-built vertical stabilizer.

With the added weight, and the foam in the cavities, it really has a nice solid feel to the model.

Last edited:
<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 14 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]1280332[/snapback]</div>
^ Beware of falling foam... :D

Nice.
[/b]

Thanks Bob. Its been slow going due to issues with the kit, but Dave's patience has been wonderful.

I really like the weight cup. I locked the small plastic measuring cup in place with Apoxie, so its locked in real solid. Being a cup, I can simply add more shot as I go. The rear stabilizer is considerably heaveier than the stock syrene part. The ship -- as seen in the photo -- is still slightly rear heavy, and with the stabilizer, it will be even more so heavy in the aft. So I'll be adding more shot tot he cup to compensate.

The mounting port on the bottom is also rock solid and the ship sits very secure on it, so balancing is not critical, but gravity over time has its gradual influence, just ask my mother-in-law. ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back