Moonraker Shuttle; Take two

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by PHArchivist, Jun 19, 2006.

1. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Hi all...

This is a project I've taken on for a fellow stalwart Bond fan and RPF member. In fact he may be our resident Bond expert. And he has been patient as a saint as I plug away at the kit (while balacing other projects as well)...

This is another 1:72 scale shuttle kit, done ala the Moonraker birds from the film of the same name. For those of you who transverse both the Gen modeling forum and the Studio Scale forum, you may recall a thread I began exploring the scale of this kit and how it relates to the studio models. I believe we concluded that the 1:72 scale kit is about 10% - 20% smaller than the studio models.

This particular kit has been a bit of a challenge based on the kit itself. It has required a few more additional steps than the kit I completed for my own collection, ranging from sanding smooth some raised panel lines, to entirely rebuilding the vertical stabilizer. All the more reason why I appreciate the patience at hand. :)

Here are some progress shots. The base in these shots will be used for my own kit (the completed bird in the one shot included), where as the one I will supply with this build-up will have a notably smoother finish on the wood...

2. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Looking GREAT... I am sure that Bond fan will be one happy camper when he receives it. Lucky stiff.

3. PHArchivist

;)

I've got more pics ut they're all of the various stages of the vertical stabilizer re-build... Not sure how interesting they would be...

4. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(The Mantis @ Jun 19 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]1264106[/snapback]</div>

Gee.....can't imagine who that would be................. :p :rolleyes

5. PHArchivist

Started the second side of the vertical stabilizer today...

Its a process of building up layers of a sculptable filler over a styrene core, so I can create the correct shape and cross-section.

The stabilizer should be complete by the end of this up coming week. Once attached, then final assemble will begin (was set back due to the stabilizer work), then primer and paint work.

6. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Looking good Rob..

Is that the same 78/79 origonal kit I got?? It looks it.
    If it is, now you can see what I was talking about with stablizer on mine, I just decided to leave mine tough.

I still havn't finished mine yet, I got the orange stripe painted on it and I got the decals from Jbot waiting next to it, but other projects come up and I just don't finish it. :lol

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Lynn

7. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent. Darned excellent. B) :thumbsup

BTW "Moonraker" came out BEFORE the first actual space shuttle was launched. It's funny to look now on that sequence of one, two, three, four, HOW many shuttles going up in a row. :lol

In reality I don't think in 25 years we've ever had two shuttles on the pad simultaneously more than once or twice , much less rapid fire launces as seen in Moonraker. :unsure

Ah the magic of the movies. :lol

- k

8. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jun 20 2006, 02:00 AM) [snapback]1264279[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Lynn...

Yeah, in the nose-on shot (with Yoda's feet) you can make out the slight warp to the (ship's) left. Not only did it lean, but it had a minor little twist to it too. I tried boiling it to soften and straighten the styrene, but that was a miserable failure.

So I cut the shape out of 1/8 styene, ran a length of sprue along the styrene to build up the diamond-shaped cross-section. My initial plan was to bend thinner styrene over the sprue to make an outter shell, but opted to go with the filler. Its acutaly an Elmer's wood filler I've fallen in love with...

The pics above do not show the completed side -- it wasn't quite done yet (as it is now). Also, the beauty of it is how well the filler worked with the sprue "spine" to create the correct shape, and that is difficult to capture on camera.

9. PHArchivist

No major update today - just another layer on the vertical stabilizer. Will post updated ics of the stabilizer possibly tomorrow. FYI I may have to take down pics as I put new ones up...

10. Refit1701

Refit1701 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's looking great.

The molds for that kit are really showing their age now. It's been quite a number of years since I saw one of those kits that didn't have some sort of warping or fit problems. You're managing to overcome those problems.

11. PHArchivist

Thanks.

I believe I have the stabilizer done. A coat of primer is drying over night. One last check tomorrow for any deformatiopns or depressions, then time to move on with the project.

12. PHArchivist

Good progress this weekend... Wing assembly has been attached as well as the nacelles that sit either side of the vertical stabilizer. Will try to add a progress shot in the nex=xt day or two.

13. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Fantastic.

Jaws would approve. :D

[​IMG]

14. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 3 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]1273278[/snapback]</div>
    :lol

Added filler to the fuselage/wing join; will sand tomorrow after curing. Added a cool feature -- l locked in with epoxy putty a small plastic measuring cup inside the cargo bay just behind the cockpit. Here's why:

Even a stock out of the box build leaves the model very tail-heavy due to so much more plastic in the rear. Plus, the scratch-built vertical stabilizer is very heavy as well. With the cup, I wil add in lead shot to balance the ship since the mounting point is not at the center of gravity, but centered on the ship itself.

15. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Ah yes...weights and counterweights...

16. Boxster

Boxster Well-Known Member

Say guys. I got the Tamiya Space Shuttle kits hald done years ago.

I presumed the Moonraker shuttle is identical to any other space shuttles(?) So, anywhere I can get reference to make decals of the Tamiya?

Thanks.

B

17. PHArchivist

Finnessed the wing/fuselage joins today prepping for paint. Also annded some foam into some of the cavities for a more solid fill...

18. PHArchivist

Here is a progress shot from a couple of days ago showing the foam-filled fueslage and fixed cup with the lead counterweight. The slot in the rear will accept the tab on the scratch-built vertical stabilizer.

With the added weight, and the foam in the cavities, it really has a nice solid feel to the model.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  19. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ Beware of falling foam... :D

Nice.

20. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 14 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]1280332[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Bob. Its been slow going due to issues with the kit, but Dave's patience has been wonderful.

I really like the weight cup. I locked the small plastic measuring cup in place with Apoxie, so its locked in real solid. Being a cup, I can simply add more shot as I go. The rear stabilizer is considerably heaveier than the stock syrene part. The ship -- as seen in the photo -- is still slightly rear heavy, and with the stabilizer, it will be even more so heavy in the aft. So I'll be adding more shot tot he cup to compensate.

The mounting port on the bottom is also rock solid and the ship sits very secure on it, so balancing is not critical, but gravity over time has its gradual influence, just ask my mother-in-law. ;)

21. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    BWAH... :D

22. PHArchivist

Did the final balancing of the ship, so now I can close it up with the cargo bay doors. I have one installed, waiting on some foam to cure prior to adding the second.

At that point, should be timre to primer the ship.

23. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ Get busy, YO. :D

24. PHArchivist

Closed up the ship yesterday. Both cargo bay doors are now installed. Need to sand and finesse the mating seams, then primer the shuttle so to continue the "massaging" process.

25. PHArchivist

Continuing with finessing the fit issues. The cargo door fit was less than perfect, requiring a bit of sanding to mate flush with the adjacent surfaces of the fuselage. It is however molded in fairly thick styrene allowing enough material to work with.

26. PHArchivist

I went ahead and added some filler to compensate for fit issues. Will bew able to sand and primer tomorrow.

27. PHArchivist

I Mya have the last coat of primer down... Body is getting VERY smooth now... Here's a shot:

[​IMG]

28. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Home stretch.... ;)

29. PHArchivist

HUGE step accomplished today.

With some help from fellow builder and artisit extrodinaire, QuartZ, we got the vertical stabilizer mounted to the ship. Final sanding of the primer, then its color coats and detail painting.

30. PHArchivist

We have color. After much more time than I anticipated, I got the body "straight", and wet sanded with the first color coat aplied. Yea.

31. PHArchivist

Here's a progress pic...

One more coat of base coat tomorrow. Clear Flat Wednesday. Next is the black, then on to the orange.

[​IMG]

32. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Looking very good bud..

Lynn

33. PHArchivist

Another huge step accomplished over the weekend and today -- we now have a black and white shuttle. Well, its more BROWN and white, as it should be. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

35. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

Looking good. :thumbsup I really like the brown/black you used. I'd say you nailed the color of the original miniature. :)

Bill

36. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(kevoris @ Sep 22 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]1324550[/snapback]</div>

Cool. Glad you noticed. Its more noticeable in person. Its black with an overspray of burnt umber.

And for those nto as familair, kevoris is totally correct -- the original is not truly black; more a deep chocolate brown.

37. PHArchivist

I made a discovery today that will make this one all the more accurate...

See if you can tell a difference.

[​IMG]

38. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

It would be cheating for me to tell the difference but *, does that look good.

39. PHArchivist

Cool. So you can see compared to the screen-cap how the point of the band reaches farther up on the fuselage than on mine... The orange will also be a tad wider at the wing tips, as it should be.

40. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

Thats great. Now get that thing painted already. :lol

41. PHArchivist

Major step completed today. Note the color difference between this one and my own. Mine is darker; richer -- and wrong. This new one is Floquil Reefer Orange, as suggested by a respected studio scale modeler who has also worked in the industry. And it feels much more "right" than the orange I used on my own copy.

Trying to knock this baby out by early November so it can debut at a Bond premier fiesta. ;) Still have to mask off for the gray leading edge of the wings, plus the black bordering on the vertical stabilizer and the cockpit. And the gray nose. Then its on to detailing and weathering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also see how the angle of the black area under the cockpit is more aggressive on the current build than on the completed model. This also is more accurate to the original.

42. Clone-extra1

Clone-extra1 Well-Known Member

Looks great.

43. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

OK, now THIS is exciting.....I greatly appreciate the amount of care, control, and detail that is going into this.....LOVE the transformation.

44. PHArchivist

Got the nose cone, wing leading edges, and tail perimeter all masked and painted today. Pics later if desired.

45. Clone-extra1

Clone-extra1 Well-Known Member

Yes. Please Post pics.

46. PHArchivist

I'll post up a pic or two tonight or tomorrow. I still have to shoot a light coat of burnt umber over the black tail perimeter, and have a tad bit of massaging on the nose cone to do...

47. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

Its coming along nicely. You're really doing a great job on this, I'm sure that Dave will be very happy with the end result.

48. PHArchivist

More progress...

Need to do the rudder part on the other side, and the black around the cockpit, plus color the nose with some gun metal and do the "tiger shrimp" pattern on the wing leading edges, then painting is done.

After that it is ust panel lines, decals, and weathering -- the fun stuff. Well -- its ALL fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

49. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Hugo Drax would be proud..... Love the updates, really shows the evolution of this piece.

50. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

Very nice. You've inspired me, I'm gonna have to dig out the one I did as a kid and overhaul it. :p The burnt umber really nails the look, and I like the lighter orange you went with on this version. And with the orange angled up further on the doors and the higher black/brown on the sides of the cockpit, looks very screen acurate. Great job, can't wait to see more pics. ;) :thumbsup Is this one going to be Moonraker 5?