Moonraker Shuttle; Take two

Those two extra photos that you posted in the other thread were brand new to me when I saw them earlier. Thanks.

I was referring to the leading edge scallops on the left and right. The leading edge of the orbiters consist of 22 Reinforced Carbon-Carbon (RCC) panels as part of it's thermal protection system. They are numbered 1 to 22 front to aft.

I could try to load an image of the panel layouts later (have to go to work now) that is good reference for modelers to shade those panels correctly or even lightly scribe. Though you shouldn't scribe IMHO since even at 1/72 it would be out of scale. Remember, these panels are the leading edge of the orbiter's airfoil and are smooth in real life, almost seamless.

I believe they have their characteristic "tiger shrimp" weathering/shading due to maintenance swap-outs or direct replacements and what we are seeing should be the contrast between newer and older panels. Although, there's not really a ready material inventory of them and they're fairly expensive as all things are.

I only know a little more than the average bear because it was my graduate research project (the Columbia Accident) for my master's thesis. I do mean "just a little" more...

This is one of the better threads I've been able to participate in. Being able to see the evolution of your project from start to finish through timely updates is a rare thing in this hobby/business. Hope you keep us all in tune with all your projects this way.

I think you may have convinced me to do a true studio replica for the sole purpose of having a side by side collection with my notional Drax Orbiter and an accurate NASA Orbiter. That'd be a lot in 1/72, but I do have a few 1/100 Tamiya Orbiters sitting around :confused

Joe, that is fantastic info on the leading edge panels. More thhan I knew, and also useful for modeling the shuttle. I'm now curious if the filming model also had 22. On the first MR shuttle I did, I had to add one more gray panel where it meets the black near where the wing "blends" with the fuselage due to not accurately counting. I also seem to recall that I biffed the shading pattern on the gray panels -- I reversed the "light-to-dark" direction on mine. So that will be yet another subltle detail where Dave's will be more accuarte.

If you haven't yet, read through the entire thread that I linked above when you have time. Some great contributions from some great members here...

Light at the end of the tunnel.

Dave, we should talk in the next few days about the base... I'll get in touch before the end of the week

RCC-panels.jpg

See if this works.

Somebody order the shrimp...? ;)

Got one side done, other tomorrow (but I DID vote today.)... This will be blended just a tad more, plus some weathering elements/smudges added on...

Thoughts?

Nov7001.jpg

And MB, that patteren was perfect, and matches the ref pics pretty much right on.

Sill in the camera, actually.

And with respect to the recipient, I'll wait until he receives it and posts his own. I can email pics though. ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back