Monsters Inc Scream Canisters

The photo of Sulley and Mike is my set, that's my daughter. We set the pair up around each Halloween at the local school party for photos with the kids. They were originally made for the Toy R Us displays around the country. This particular one was bought off some one after they had broken Sully rather badly. (took a tumble down the stairs) I rebuilt the plastic skeleton frame inside. Mikey was in good shape, which is unusual as the eyes are usually cracked or broken on many. They are getting quite hard to find out there but occasionally a set will show up on eBay.

For those thinking about finding them, these are HUGE. Sulley has a tail in the bad that makes it all the more larger front to back. The figure is so large taking the seats out of my Honda Van and them trying to pop him in takes all of the space just to transport him. Mikey is locked to the steel base, you would have to rip apart the plastic belly of him to undo it. So if you are going to make a purchase of one, it almost absolutely has to be done on a local level. You would need about three refrigerator boxes otherwise to ship the complete set. A few Pixar collectors I know have driven halfway across the country to find and purchase them.

Last edited:
I am also a proud owner of this pair. I refinished the steel bases on them to new condition. :)

Drove to NY to pick them up in my truck. I'll never forget when I got back to town (it was lunchtime), so I pulled into a Mickey Ds parking lot. I had them (mostly) covered with a tarp and tied down, but parts of Sulley and Mike's hand were visible. A mother and her little girl parked right next to me and they were getting out about the same time, and the little girl pulled on her mom's hand and said "Mommy, there are MONSTERS in that car!" The mother all but ignored her, as the little girl tugged at her until finally she gave a casual glance over. She suddenly smiled and said "You're right! There ARE monsters in that car!" and smiled at me.

*Not trying to derail the thread! Those canisters ROCK and I'd love a couple for my display. (also would love to get/make the hardhat and clipboard, Tripoli)

Love it, the excecution is flawless!!

I have the same project in the 'to do' list but a way smaller scale! I think though it will always be one of these projects that will sit on the 'to do' list - geez its already been there for about 2 years!!

CGClone, no problem on the pic. Fuzzylover, how did you remove Mikey from the base to refinish it?

I've thought about making a full sized one, but it would take a lot of material. I've made a smaller version that's only 6.25" tall to put on my desk. I'll post some pictures when the molds are done. I also would like to play around with the colors and labels for the fun of it.

I was thinking of making two wooden forms and vac forming them. If you wanted to get really ambitious, you could even hamerform some aluminum sheets over the forms!

I was thinking of making two wooden forms and vac forming them. If you wanted to get really ambitious, you could even hamerform some aluminum sheets over the forms!

I would either start with some pvc pipe and start machining the larger parts from this or I would sculpt it out of foam then fiberglass it.

CGClone, no problem on the pic. Fuzzylover, how did you remove Mikey from the base to refinish it?

I didn't. I hand sanded the metal in areas that had started to roughen from wear/rust. Then, I actually used plastic bags and painter's tape and VERY carefully covered everything I didn't want sprayed. There was a beautiful blue color I picked up at either HD or Lowes to recolor it. (it's not 100% an exact match to the original paint, but I actually prefer it!). I also designed the Monsters Inc logo for the name plate in Illustrator, printed and laminated it for protection, and voila. Looks like it's minty fresh!

Well, if I can't find one of the Mike and/or Sullys to buy (or if the price is too high) maybe I could just make one that is the matching size to my canisters. I think I'd rather have a smaller Sully that's not made of fur anyway. My shop is a dusty place.

Thanks for the pointers about where to find the statues everyone. :)

And thanks for the compliments on the canisters. I can't take all the credit. My crew did a good job.

Hey FX,
I have a Mike and Sully here in Atlanta that could be purchased. PM me if you're serious about getting a pair.
Laffo.

That's cool I had the same idea after the purchaseof my Monster Inc. DVD, but never realized it, except for making screenshots - do you make also the relabeled laughter canister?

That's cool I had the same idea after the purchaseof my Monster Inc. DVD, but never realized it, except for making screenshots - do you make also the relabeled laughter canister?

I am planning to make an extra one into the Laugh Canister. After I saw the Monsters Inc show at the Magic Kingdom with the giant Laugh Canister I knew I needed to make one.

These canisters are great. With the laugh canister you saw, were the proportions different or was it just scaled up? In the movie the laugh cnister looks a little fatter.

Hi gogoyubari: No, I never made any canisters for sale, I just wanted to show off a little.

Hi CoryM: Thanks for the compliment. The laugh canisters in the show are fatter than the scream canisters.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back