molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints

I've been using UFC35 (I think it's called) from House of Kolor. Goes through an airbrush easily and preserves the metallic shine almost perfectly. (Just be thorough with the cleanup afterward... and do wear a proper filtered breathing mask! Goggles too if you can.)
  • I tried some Spraymax 2k clear coat because I was nervous about running urethane through my airbrush. While it seems to be furable However its not really working and is disturbing the reflectivity and giving a cloudy look.
  • So for the sake of something reliable, I'm willing to take the plunge and try the UFC35. I see two thinners RU 310 and RU 311 and 312 do you have a preference? also there is a hardener KU 150 yes?
  • also, when painting do you feel the need to do a tack/mist coat first? I saw one on youtube and it seemed he was applying a wet coat right away. https://youtu.be/UV9a1QxEw0A?t=241
  • Lastly, you would only need to use the thinner reducer (RU 310/311/312) for the airbrush cleanup?
Thanks for sharing your experiences with this!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.16.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.16.39 PM.png
    738.7 KB · Views: 41
Recently I came across this stuff. The Chrome effect from the brush on paint is simply amazing. They make an airbrush version but I have not tried that

It is also pretty durable

Not my video, but demonstrates the effect nicely

In some ways, the brush painted one looks even more reflective as long as they are smaller pieces instead of large flat areas

Last edited:
Is that the AK9198 stuff?
Yeah, this stuff:

45644_rn.jpg

I bought a couple bottles and it's just like Molotow. Same thickness, same application- basecoat (gloss or not) doesn't really matter, low pressure, ONE THICK WET COAT, no misting like with Alclad, Aluma and so on. They have a ready-blended airbrush cleaner for it too, which is nice 'cause some of these special paints will granulize on contact with acetone, IPA or certain thinners.

So hard to find the make up of these things, at least there is a dedicated thinner cleaner with the AK Chrome, but then I'm not sure primer to use (I have bought their Extreme Primer), or what top coat to use.
Is it lacquer based, solvent, enamel?

So hard to find the make up of these things, at least there is a dedicated thinner cleaner with the AK Chrome, but then I'm not sure primer to use (I have bought their Extreme Primer), or what top coat to use.
Is it lacquer based, solvent, enamel?
I mostly use Citadel (Games Workshop) primers and they seem to work well. For topcoats I tend to use the 2-component automotive clear UFC35 from House of Kolor. (Urethane based, so it doesn't ruin the finish.)

Yeah, this stuff:

View attachment 1677722
I bought a couple bottles and it's just like Molotow. Same thickness, same application- basecoat (gloss or not) doesn't really matter, low pressure, ONE THICK WET COAT, no misting like with Alclad, Aluma and so on. They have a ready-blended airbrush cleaner for it too, which is nice 'cause some of these special paints will granulize on contact with acetone, IPA or certain thinners.

Is there any feedback yet on how well this stuff holds up and items that would be handled often? That's the Achilles heel of most of these paints.

Is there any feedback yet on how well this stuff holds up and items that would be handled often? That's the Achilles heel of most of these paints.
It’s more durable than the Alclad type, but that’s not saying much. For a regular display piece, sealing with a urethane based clear acrylic (like Vallejo) or Alclad’s Aqua Gloss Clear is OK but if it’s going to be handled a lot (on set or trooping) then a 2-component urethane clear is still a must.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back