Mold Wall Clay

Bovine13

Im gearing up to remold the AVP backpack and I have all the materials here or on their way. Im just curious what you mold makers use for the mold wall clay. Im looking for cheap water based clay. I have been using just extra sculpting clay I have but this is a big piece to mold and I need to change my method. Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Bovine13

I usually get some rather cheap water-based clay from Michael's. I was using some Amaco air-dry clay, but I've found that it shrinks as it dries and doesn't stick well to my sculpt after it's all dried out. I've had better luck lately with Crayola air-dry clay, which is still cheap, but doesn't seem to shrink as much when it dries.

Another thing I've done to get a smooth mold wall is to use foam board or poster board for building the large, flat parts of my dividing wall, then filling in at the bottom with the cheap water-based clay. That way, I don't end up with a bumpy mold wall with projections that stick out. Of course, you still have to make sure that you have the dividing wall meet the sculpt pretty exactly.

What are you doing the sculpt from, and what is your mold material?

Personally i have used metal shims and WED clay, even both on the bubba mould, (dont ask ).

i will use wed from now on as ive got alittle better at handling it since ive been using it to sculpt with, and it does dry out VERY slowly.

its called "WHITE CLAY", a bit different then WED ..a bit cheaper ..we use it for all our clay wall or molding needs

Here is a link to a Texas Supplier for ya:

LINK

WOW...not a bad price at all.

Ya .its a cheap disposable clay. We save WED for sculpts. its a pretty good price, but I think I have suppliers in LA that beat it.. I gotta check.

out of curiosity, what is your master backpack made of? I only ask because of the silicones that you may need to remold may differ. For example ..if the master is made of fiberglass, you need to use a good TIN based silicone instead of platinum. Platinum doesnt like to cure over a fiberglass master ( or sulfur based clay too..for that matter). little things to know about the remolding process

Oddly enough WED is the cheapest clay i have found over here, mind you i kinda live in the middle of nowhere. It was a one horse town till some bugger shot the horse.

Perfect George...thanks. I have seen white clay at the local art supplies but the bulk I need would cost too much. Its a resin master. Im using SmoothOn Rebound25 and some thivex. I have some shell stuff from SmoothOn as well. Was gonna use it for the mother/support shell but, I had bad luck with it on my blade mold. They changed the formula it seemed and it came out ok but, its real greasy to the touch. Trying to decide on mother mold material. Id rather not run what I have.

have you considered making a 1630 urethane resin mother mold for the silicone? ..I think it would work well considering the size of the piece ..make it nice and light

have you considered making a 1630 urethane resin mother mold for the silicone? ..I think it would work well considering the size of the piece ..make it nice and light

Ill take any suggestions. If you think its good Ill roll with it. Im always down to try new materials.

cool. Rather then try and write out the process, here is a decent youtube video explaining it. I'd just replace what ever the product that they are using with 1630 resin and go from there.

YOUTUBE LINK

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back