Moisture Vaporator 3D design

TazMan2000

Master Member
Difficult to find reference for a standard design, I elected to start off with the ANH version (even those varied). This one will be in scale with 3.75 inch figures, but should be able to be scaled up larger. I intend to put in LEDs on top of the 'chiller bars' (the 3 vertical tubes on the outside).

Vaporator4.JPG

Vaporator5.JPG

TazMan2000

When designing in 3D, even using dimensions of the parts, I find it difficult to realize the actual size in real life. The wiring will have to be thin to run through the bottom arms.

0FBE479B-1530-4795-8CE8-62FF0E816C07.jpeg5A7B961D-B3EE-43F5-8159-56CD7728C8CF.jpeg
A vane broke off. Greeblies will have to be added. No where near accurate but a quick and rewarding project. I always wanted one of these.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
As you say, these things were inconsistent in each movie, so you could always put that down to different model of vaporator or repairs done by the owner.

I love what you've done - it looks fantastic! I made a diorama scene for my son's figures and never quite got around to adding one of these, perhaps I should. Consider me inspired.

As you say, these things were inconsistent in each movie, so you could always put that down to different model of vaporator or repairs done by the owner.

I love what you've done - it looks fantastic! I made a diorama scene for my son's figures and never quite got around to adding one of these, perhaps I should. Consider me inspired.
Indeed, thousands of variations are possible with this kind of design (y)

Indeed, thousands of variations are possible with this kind of design (y)

moffeaton did a non-3d build that was just about perfect to the actual filming prop in ANH. Towards the top of the unit, there is a coil of wire going through supports. (It could be rings of tubing on the filming prop) Some are bend out of shape. I'm not certain if this was the intent, to make it look worn, or perhaps the hot Tunisian sun managed to disfigure them. Even in the Mandalorian, there are big changes.
To accommodate some things for 3D printing, you sacrifice accuracy.

TazMan2000

Wow those LEDs are bright. Guaranteed Anakin or Luke won't hit this in their speeder.
A quick coat of paint with no weathering. I'm thinking of making a small vignette with the abandoned treadwell droid.

TazMan2000

Attachments

• IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2617.JPG
    IMG_2617.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Wow those LEDs are bright. Guaranteed Anakin or Luke won't hit this in their speeder.
A quick coat of paint with no weathering. I'm thinking of making a small vignette with the abandoned treadwell droid.

TazMan2000
Lookin' good, Tazman2000! If you can find a space inside to wire-in a resistor across those LEDs, that would tame the brightness (if it bothers you) or maybe scuff the surface of them with fine sandpaper.

Thanks skiffy , I've tried scuffing up other clear lenses on red LEDs and it makes the light pink.

It actually doesn't bother me that much. The camera on my phone makes it look twice as bad as it really is.
It would be easy to put in another resistor though. I would have to make a large base to house the battery and switch. If the model was bigger, I could have made a removable panel in the large vented cubical part for the battery and disguise the switch as a greeblie.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Playground sand, but at this scale, the grains are too large. I tried to cover it in a mixture of water and Elmer's glue but it didn't help much. Baking soda perhaps would have been better, but there are issues with that as well.

TazMan2000
Did you try grinded coffee or grinded brick?

Did you try grinded coffee or grinded brick?

No. I'm thinking the coffee would attract ants, and since they wouldn't be able to sleep, they would keep returning. :lol:
I didn't have any ground brick on hand, but I may go to the home depot will a small pill bottle and pick up the remnants of spilled polymeric sand off of the floor.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back