Moisture Vaporator 3D design

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

TazMan2000

Master Member
Difficult to find reference for a standard design, I elected to start off with the ANH version (even those varied). This one will be in scale with 3.75 inch figures, but should be able to be scaled up larger. I intend to put in LEDs on top of the 'chiller bars' (the 3 vertical tubes on the outside).

Vaporator4.JPG

Vaporator5.JPG

TazMan2000

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

TazMan2000

Master Member
When designing in 3D, even using dimensions of the parts, I find it difficult to realize the actual size in real life. The wiring will have to be thin to run through the bottom arms.

0FBE479B-1530-4795-8CE8-62FF0E816C07.jpeg 5A7B961D-B3EE-43F5-8159-56CD7728C8CF.jpeg
A vane broke off. Greeblies will have to be added. No where near accurate but a quick and rewarding project. I always wanted one of these.

TazMan2000

Last edited:

PB Props

As you say, these things were inconsistent in each movie, so you could always put that down to different model of vaporator or repairs done by the owner.

I love what you've done - it looks fantastic! I made a diorama scene for my son's figures and never quite got around to adding one of these, perhaps I should. Consider me inspired.

joberg

Master Member
As you say, these things were inconsistent in each movie, so you could always put that down to different model of vaporator or repairs done by the owner.

I love what you've done - it looks fantastic! I made a diorama scene for my son's figures and never quite got around to adding one of these, perhaps I should. Consider me inspired.
Indeed, thousands of variations are possible with this kind of design (y)

TazMan2000

Master Member
Indeed, thousands of variations are possible with this kind of design (y)

moffeaton did a non-3d build that was just about perfect to the actual filming prop in ANH. Towards the top of the unit, there is a coil of wire going through supports. (It could be rings of tubing on the filming prop) Some are bend out of shape. I'm not certain if this was the intent, to make it look worn, or perhaps the hot Tunisian sun managed to disfigure them. Even in the Mandalorian, there are big changes.
To accommodate some things for 3D printing, you sacrifice accuracy.

TazMan2000

TazMan2000

Master Member
Wow those LEDs are bright. Guaranteed Anakin or Luke won't hit this in their speeder.
A quick coat of paint with no weathering. I'm thinking of making a small vignette with the abandoned treadwell droid.

TazMan2000

Attachments

• IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2617.JPG
    IMG_2617.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

skiffy

Sr Member
Wow those LEDs are bright. Guaranteed Anakin or Luke won't hit this in their speeder.
A quick coat of paint with no weathering. I'm thinking of making a small vignette with the abandoned treadwell droid.

TazMan2000
Lookin' good, Tazman2000! If you can find a space inside to wire-in a resistor across those LEDs, that would tame the brightness (if it bothers you) or maybe scuff the surface of them with fine sandpaper.

TazMan2000

Master Member
Thanks skiffy , I've tried scuffing up other clear lenses on red LEDs and it makes the light pink.

It actually doesn't bother me that much. The camera on my phone makes it look twice as bad as it really is.
It would be easy to put in another resistor though. I would have to make a large base to house the battery and switch. If the model was bigger, I could have made a removable panel in the large vented cubical part for the battery and disguise the switch as a greeblie.

TazMan2000

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.