Moebius passed away

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by SKIN JOB 66, Mar 10, 2012.

1. SKIN JOB 66

SKIN JOB 66 Well-Known Member

Jean "Moebius" Giraud died today.

One week after Ralph McQuarrie, another sad day.

Fred

2. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Wow, rough week for great artists :(

3. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Is he the maker of Moebius models ???

4. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Thankfully no.

He was another great concept designer, worked on Alien, Willow, Masters of the Universe, and ALOT more.

His comic book stlye is probably the most influential out there, second only to Jack Kirby and/or Will Eisner.

On top of all that, his own personal art kicked absolute *.

Big loss.

5. bish

bish New Member

So sad to hear this, two greats gone.

6. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

7. Brinn 71

Brinn 71 Well-Known Member

We lost two great master artists this week. Rest in peace sir.... :(

8. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Rest in peace.

The art will live on forever.

9. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Amen to that.......such a sad time for loss....

Rich

10. Rotwang

Rotwang Sr Member

This is just terrible ... RIP

11. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

R.I.P. to a true visionary.

12. boodha

boodha Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very sad news. One of the greats. His Incal series is brilliant. Qu'il repose en paix.

13. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amen to that.

Rest in peace, sir.

14. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

:cry

Reposer en paix Moebius, Je t'aime.

I will always treasure your art.

15. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another visionary lost.... :(

16. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

What would Tron be without him? He was the one, who drew the circuitries on the suit

17. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Oh no.

This hits me more than any famous person death since Frank Zappa's... mainly because Moebius was still churning out incredible work that was still breaking new ground, work that was always one step ahead of that of the younger generations who are following him. As with Crumb, I was up till this moment eagerly anticipating his latest work, but now the flow has been bitterly cut off. I was feeling down today too, and then I saw this thread... **** IT!!

Ralph was older, I was prepared for it and I haven't been following his late career so much, but with Moebius I was complacently taking it for granted that he had another ten years left... and another ten books yet to draw...

Plus he always looked so vital and cool. He looked cooler in his late 60s than he did in his early 30s, so there was an illusion of immortality there too. It was like if he got cooler-looking the older he got, maybe he could even cheat death!!

He was a pioneer of sex and violence in comics, and clearly one of the most astonishing futurists of all time, but in later years there was this positive-mystical side to his work, which like Kubrick's 2001, was so good for the souls of 'mysticism'-hungry atheists such as myself, and it's the future development of this side of his work that we will now tragically have to live without. At times it was almost as if he were in touch with something... and I don't mean the wacko gurus he followed occasionally, lol... no, his work often appeared to be channelled from some benevolent higher dimension... It's strange, you probably couldn't put a hair between some of his 'cosmic' ideas and junk New Age cults and philosophies, but when expressed through his pen and his drawing hand those ideas become sublimely inviting, even to the most despairing cynic. In later years, he always advised artists not to dwell solely on the darkness, but to create serene light too - advice I have been unable to follow, but with the passing of this master I'm tempted to try, so sad is the new darker world we find ourselves in today.

Well, I'll shut up now and just let some serene light shine:

18. Isamu

Isamu Member

Jean Giraud Aka Moebius has "followed" me all my childhood with his works. I'm a fan of his comics and movies artworks ..

"Blueberry" and "L'incal" were my favorites ...

I'm really sad

Repose en paix .....

19. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is really a sad news. I love his work. His "MaƮtres du temps" ("The Masters of Time") is my absolutely favourite animated movie.

Rest in peace. :(

20. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Bummer.

Comic-Con will probably do a tribute to him.

21. terryr

terryr Sr Member

So, this thread is a Moebius rip.

[You know, mobius strip.]

He was a heavy influence in Heavy Metal magazine as well.

22. Carson Dyle

Carson Dyle Sr Member

Yeah, that was my first thought as well.

I've spent the last few days flipping through my McQuarrie books. Guess it's time to break out the Moebius.

Sigh.

RIP.

23. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

first rmq, now moebius, someone find out where syd mead is.

moebius you will be missed.

24. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

(For eulogy see me first post) It's strange though that given his titanic stature his works are increasingly unavailable in English. The last volume of the Aedena cycle, 'SRA' has never been made available to the English-speaking world, and other volumes are now out of print in English and have been for years.. I have 'Stel' and 'SRA' in French and it's doing my head in that I can't read them...visually they are among the most stunning things he's ever done...I can only conclude his business people felt there is now no market for them in the US and the UK.

Which is insane. Below are some pages from 'Stel'. For half the book a crew are stranded by their broken-down flyer in a desert, apparently arguing and bickering, then they witness...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  25. MrSinistar

MrSinistar Well-Known Member

Why didn't I hear this sooner?! Tron, Fifth Element, Alien...this guy basically created the worlds in all of my favorite movies. Truly, truly sad news. :(

26. augofett

augofett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He sketched the space suits for Alien, and the final design is really close to them.
    He also draw one Silver Surfer graphic novel that is a piece of art.

27. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Moebius was one of my inspirations in art school. Alien worlds that were truly alien; juxtapositions of the strange, whimsical and humorous... yes, he will be missed :(