Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

Standard old micro drill bits we always use. #80 is 0.0130", #79 is 0.0145" and 0.25MM is 0.01"? Should work I would think? Holes will be just a LITTLE big and I'll have to see. I have real GLASS fiber optics right now that is normally in a 12 strand wire, but this is only .010 according to the old Starret Caliper and being real glass it might get out of control on me, so I would like some of that plastic stuff.

I don't know where to find something that small, but this place is good:

It's hard to imagine you will be able to make a hole smaller than 0.25mm, but hey, you have done some amazing things, so far!

Mr. edge, you ever order from these folks or are you letting me be the guinea pig? Now, I AM NOT questioning your suggesting ability here at all.

Mr. edge, you ever order from these folks or are you letting me be the guinea pig? Now, I AM NOT questioning your suggesting ability here at all.

I've ordered from them. They use to be sell on the bay of e. I still have a few spools of 0.5mm.

1mm = 0.04 inch
2mm = 0.08 inch. The thickest aluminum you want to cold, hand-pound into shape.
3 mm = 0.125 or 1/8th inch

1mm = 0.04 inch
2mm = 0.08 inch. The thickest aluminum you want to cold, hand-pound into shape.
3 mm = 0.125 or 1/8th inch

Yes sir! I go by .040 styrene as 1MM all the time. My best Space:1999 modeling friend lives in England and he forces me to use metric and admit that I'm a wanker. Y'all ain't lived until you hear him cuss me in English.

Standard old micro drill bits we always use. #80 is 0.0130", #79 is 0.0145" and 0.25MM is 0.01"? Should work I would think? Holes will be just a LITTLE big and I'll have to see. I have real GLASS fiber optics right now that is normally in a 12 strand wire, but this is only .010 according to the old Starret Caliper and being real glass it might get out of control on me, so I would like some of that plastic stuff.
I use a #80 for .25 mm fiber

It is a nice fit
sometimes I also flare out the end of the fiber rather than cut it flat as well

I use a #80 for .25 mm fiber

It is a nice fit
sometimes I also flare out the end of the fiber rather than cut it flat as well

Well, well WELL! I thought you fell in a hole.

I do think whatever I do here, this needs to be kept as small as I can possibly do it. On this size, these windows would be itty-bitty.

But, Like Mama used to say, it's alright to be itty-bitty, a little home town or a big old city...

I am currently using the .25 mm for mine and it looks nice.

Seems to match the relative size of the points of light for the studio scale in relation to the size fibers they used

I also went with warm white instead of cool white for the window LED color

There are a few red spots here and there but instead of using a red LED I will just dip the end of the fiber in red ink

The engine I am going to use cool white as it gets just a touch of bluish

Not sure yet about the small red engine part in the upper middle. I might put a warm white behind there and glaze the clear over it with red

Red LEDs tend to look too overly saturated based on the way the studio model looked when lit up

Mr. Analyzer, I tried to quote you but it says "OPPS! A server error occured", so we'll skip the quote.

On your recommendation, I just ordered me some this ".25 mm" you seem to be so fond of. All I can do now is hope you ain't just seeing how far you can lead me without a rope.

And now for something completely different...

I have been speaking with a gentleman who wants to help duplicate some of this stuff y'all been witnessing and perhaps make an "upgrade kit" available to everyone who wants to do some of this to their Galactica without scratch building every piece? It would consist of a good amount of the model kit pieces I've been making, all in a shrunk down, easy to apply size and many could have a Galactica similar to what I've been doing? What I mean here is, many of the original model kits used on the original studio model, tinyed up to fit this kit.

Just like Mom used to make!

Do any of y'all think I should continue to talk about such a thing? He says he can do it.

Last edited:
I get the same error trying to quote a reply. Not just this thread, has been that way for a few hours

I would be interested in such a kit!

Of course price is the elephant in the room. What price range do you think a detail set might be?

This pricing would of course depend on how many pieces are going to be needed to create the upgrade kit. But i can confirm that it is a fun idea and would be excited to do this modeling as accurate as possible. To install the upgraded, all without the previous scratch building that has been done!

Well, here's where we're at in the discussion. The gentleman talking to me about this is on here. Him and I are in the very early stages of discussion and I have no idea what the price will be and I'm not exactly sure he fully understands what I'm after yet. From what I understand, it will have alot to do with how many pieces we get printed. I will probably need everyone interested in this's opinion so that we can get a pile of parts we can be proud of. I will be gathering all the needed information and details about what we want and he will draw us up the parts and print them for us. Now, he will depend on us for what pieces we want and we'll have to do our best to give him the most accurate DIMS possible. I believe this is his first leap into this particular endeavor, but he has done the design and printing part.

**==EDIT-- AND, as I was typing my reply, there's the gentleman himself. We'll see what we can work out and make all this just a little easier for ALL of us!

Last edited:
Everyone, don't take this as some kind of "set up all along" here to eventually sell y'all something. As I've gone along building on this, there are several of these pieces, as y'all all know, that seem to be repeated many times. What I have done is searched for someone willing to work with me and make up a bunch of these as resin printed pieces JUST so I don't have to keep making the same parts over and over as y'all have seen me doing. I don't look forward to the many "Leopold ladder" looking pieces I made on that engine section, and there are MANY all over the Galactica. There is no reason, since I definitely plan on finding out if this can be done, not to check. All I figured here was, several folks have shown interest in many of the little parts I've made? As I plan on this anyway, any of y'all that would want some of these too can certainly join in. This ain't like a whole buncha other "runs" I see people do. What WE'LL do is, once Mr. Goot figures out about all this, we'll see how many want it and we'll maybe divide up whatever the cost is? I'm not 100% sure how everybody would feel about that, but like Mr. Analyzer mentioned, a price too high will shoot this ALL in the foot. So far, it all seems do-able and Mr. Goot is working on it.

Also, it won't be something that we won't know about, and in fact, it may take a bit to get all together. I'll (we'll, hopefully, 'cause I'm gonna need y'all's help) figure out the DIMS he'll need for each piece we want made, he'll design it and show it to me. If everything looks right, he'll print a "TEST" part and send it to me (probably a couple at a time) made from some test plastic. Once it looks just like we want, our final pieces will be in printed resin, which I understand is far superior.

Again, this ain't some "get rich quick" scheme. I'm having some of this printed, some how, some way and anyone interested is more than welcome to be added to the "get some with me" pile.

This SHOULD work exactly the same to add to the Timeslip Creations garage kit since they are identical models?

Rob.

I hope you don't mind me sharing some pics of my Moebius Battlestar build.

5d51208bb19bdf32aab2fe5c74ec805e.jpg

8d7b2594aa5a26079ee1fbae98717cb2.jpg

1493e7af62625992d782d93e6b955d51.jpg

cheers

Dirk

Everyone, don't take this as some kind of "set up all along" here to eventually sell y'all something. As I've gone along building on this, there are several of these pieces, as y'all all know, that seem to be repeated many times. What I have done is searched for someone willing to work with me and make up a bunch of these as resin printed pieces JUST so I don't have to keep making the same parts over and over as y'all have seen me doing. I don't look forward to the many "Leopold ladder" looking pieces I made on that engine section, and there are MANY all over the Galactica. There is no reason, since I definitely plan on finding out if this can be done, not to check. All I figured here was, several folks have shown interest in many of the little parts I've made? As I plan on this anyway, any of y'all that would want some of these too can certainly join in. This ain't like a whole buncha other "runs" I see people do. What WE'LL do is, once Mr. Goot figures out about all this, we'll see how many want it and we'll maybe divide up whatever the cost is? I'm not 100% sure how everybody would feel about that, but like Mr. Analyzer mentioned, a price too high will shoot this ALL in the foot. So far, it all seems do-able and Mr. Goot is working on it.

Also, it won't be something that we won't know about, and in fact, it may take a bit to get all together. I'll (we'll, hopefully, 'cause I'm gonna need y'all's help) figure out the DIMS he'll need for each piece we want made, he'll design it and show it to me. If everything looks right, he'll print a "TEST" part and send it to me (probably a couple at a time) made from some test plastic. Once it looks just like we want, our final pieces will be in printed resin, which I understand is far superior.

Again, this ain't some "get rich quick" scheme. I'm having some of this printed, some how, some way and anyone interested is more than welcome to be added to the "get some with me" pile.

This SHOULD work exactly the same to add to the Timeslip Creations garage kit since they are identical models?

Rob.

I am looking forward to it as it seems some of parts would be really handy.

I have a Moebius kit which I kind of stalled on as I was torn between going all out detailing or building out of the box

I also have the old Revell/Monogram kit which would basically need the same parts (plus more)

I wonder if there might be one of two options?

the printed copies for those without a printer and the stls file for those with a printer?

I hope you don't mind me sharing some pics of my Moebius Battlestar build.

cheers

Dirk

No sir, I don't mind AT ALL Mr. Omnius! Post away. The more the merrier I say. A thing of beauty if ya' ask me. In fact, don't hesitate to not only post what you've done, but how you've done it. Whatever helps folks, I'm all in!

I am looking forward to it as it seems some of parts would be really handy.

I have a Moebius kit which I kind of stalled on as I was torn between going all out detailing or building out of the box

I also have the old Revell/Monogram kit which would basically need the same parts (plus more)

I wonder if there might be one of two options?

the printed copies for those without a printer and the stls file for those with a printer?

Since what I plan is simply a bunch of the real kit parts all in a tiny form, I can certainly see these being handy Mr. Analyzer. Hopefully, if this comes through, it would help you lean more toward the "all out" option, which is usually the better option to me. I don't see how there couldn't be two options, but I can't help much with what needs to be done to a Monogram. I don't have one, so I would imagine one of y'all with one could certainly lend all the help needed to do something on that kit too.

Yes, we have discussed just the STL files because I also have a friend with a resin printer that may help in this whole process and it was how Mr. Goot's and my conversation started. Since he's doing both parts at the moment, design and printing, any price he quotes me will be for both things, so STL's will be included.

As I was making these imitations, of course, for the placement after they were made, I was zoomed in pretty good on some of the reference I have been working with and noticed something... and here's where I need y'all to put on all the glasses you may own, magnifying glasses on top of those and then look through your magnifying light on your desk with these next couple pictures zoomed in as much as possible, like I do, and let me know some opinions here?

Here are the couple I'm able to use and the offending area is just below those Centurion covers:

Here's what I want y'all's opinions on. That area below those covers, to me, looks like it's open? If the consensus is that some of y'all see the same thing, I may do that to mine while I have the chance. The covers I added are just stuck on with some spit right now and will come off easily, but once I put my normal amount of 4 types of glue, heat and cold fusion, I won't be able to get them off.

If anyone feels like giving an opinion here, I would appreciate any and all!

Rob.

Mr. Analyzer, we were discussing this at post #222, if you recall? I thought maybe this discussed area was open under the Centurion parts?

Well, it is and that black area we discussed, I'm fairly certain it's the old stand-by part used ALOT back then...

Kool-Shade.

In fact, I know that's what the black area is and it is recessed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back