Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

Alrighty y'all!

This update brings an answer I have told y'all I had a concern about for quite some time. I was thinking it would and I KNOW y'all woulda thought it was funny as hell if it had gone the way I figured it was. As I said, all these details are tiny. Very tiny in some cases as anyone with this kit knows. I have been concerned with whether or not primer would ruin some of this work, simply because of the itsy bitsy teentsy weensy tenitsy little small head of a pin parts.

I didn't tell y'all I had, what was suppose to be, an ace up my sleeve to help me prevent y'all from having that laugh. I picked up some "STYNYLREZ", gritted my tooth, loaded up the old Chinese air brush and squirted it towards this thing with my eyes closed 'cause I didn't want to see all the detail go away until I opened my eyes later. Slowly, I squinted and HEY!!! That went alright!!!

This was a mixture of 10ish parts STYNYLREZ GRAY and 1ish part Mr. Color 400 Leveling Thinner and it seems to have been an alright trial and error.

DSCN0461.jpg
DSCN0462.jpg
DSCN0463.jpg
DSCN0464.jpg
DSCN0466.jpg
DSCN0467.jpg

So far, after only about an hour curing time and no attempt to sand anything yet, I say STYNYLREZ is worth a try, if y'all been holding out.

Mr. Analyzer, this oughta push you even a little more! I think it looks just right and I have NO CONCERNS about the painting of any of it anymore.

Stynylrez is da bomb. 'Specially for those Bandai kits that no likie chemical hot solvents that crack da plastic.

Loving yer greeblie work. Makes me wish I had another Moebius kit instead of the one I built in 2015 out of the box without these details.

Loving yer greeblie work. Makes me wish I had another Moebius kit instead of the one I built in 2015 out of the box without these details.

Ok, pull up seat Mr. Invar. Practically every one of these can be done to a completed model. All I'm doing is adding to the model and haven't really changed the model itself, so let's git 'er done!

I couldn't think of what else I could do. Then again, I have a very tiny brain and I think very tiny thoughts, so I had NO CHANCE to come up with any big ideas.
LOL... Dude you had no other options. Same **** I'm facing with my new Galactica and the mpc Falcon. If the proportions are of you really have no other choice.

Good call and great work.

Alrighty y'all!

This update brings an answer I have told y'all I had a concern about for quite some time. I was thinking it would and I KNOW y'all woulda thought it was funny as hell if it had gone the way I figured it was. As I said, all these details are tiny. Very tiny in some cases as anyone with this kit knows. I have been concerned with whether or not primer would ruin some of this work, simply because of the itsy bitsy teentsy weensy tenitsy little small head of a pin parts.

I didn't tell y'all I had, what was suppose to be, an ace up my sleeve to help me prevent y'all from having that laugh. I picked up some "STYNYLREZ", gritted my tooth, loaded up the old Chinese air brush and squirted it towards this thing with my eyes closed 'cause I didn't want to see all the detail go away until I opened my eyes later. Slowly, I squinted and HEY!!! That went alright!!!

This was a mixture of 10ish parts STYNYLREZ GRAY and 1ish part Mr. Color 400 Leveling Thinner and it seems to have been an alright trial and error.

View attachment 1559965View attachment 1559966View attachment 1559967View attachment 1559968View attachment 1559969View attachment 1559970

So far, after only about an hour curing time and no attempt to sand anything yet, I say STYNYLREZ is worth a try, if y'all been holding out.

Mr. Analyzer, this oughta push you even a little more! I think it looks just right and I have NO CONCERNS about the painting of any of it anymore.
You Are Awesome Colin Mochrie GIF

LOL... Dude you had no other options. Same **** I'm facing with my new Galactica and the mpc Falcon. If the proportions are of you really have no other choice.

Good call and great work.

Thank you Mr. Larsen.

It does have to be done, no doubt about it, but as I said, it's the first thing on this that I would say wasn't quite what it should be on the size. Still not too bad when compared to the studio model. I don't think I've ever seen anyone make that JPS piece to add to theirs and without that, you wouldn't even notice.

It do look alright huh? I see one of my small pieces with a crack in it and I coulda done better with the scribing on those domes, but it was free hand this time, so I reckon I'll have to live with it. Or throw it away. First, burn it. Of course.

Last edited:
Well HELLO Mr. JPH! Ok, I gotsa axe. Is'n that Star Destroyer your's? Hmm? AND, which'n is'n it? I got one of them Zeevessders and I'm hoping that's what that is?

I'm gonna post this, but I am NOT just posting to keep posting the same things all over again and keep showin' y'all all the same things over and over. There is a point here.

Another hurdle with this would be, does it suck down tighter after it's cured and can you tape it?

Sucks down pretty good after only 12 hours and that SHOULD get even better. Y'all know what I mean by "suck down", right? What I'm talking about would be that it... I don't know how to describe it... shows the details a little better and appear thinner than it does just after painting? Anyway, it's doing just fine in my opinion.

DSCN0468.jpg

For this test, another important one "in my opinion", but will tape jerk all this off. Jerking off tape is bad and it's something that happens to us all and usually at the most in-opportune time, so, let's see what happens. I'm testing this a little too soon for my liking, but even this test should improve with more curing time. I mainly use "3M Blue Painters Tape" and "FROG" brand tape, mostly sticking to 3M Blue. FROG can grab pretty good and I don't use as much of it as 3M JUST because it's a good chance it'll pull paint off, but for this, given that I can always re-do all this at this stage, we gone stick some on here real good. Pull it off NOW if you gonna big boy.

DSCN0470.jpg

This pleases me. I don't get pleased easily and I often fight against things TRYING to please me, but this did it. For now. As we all know, this really don't mean much past a "test", because it's not important right now. Later, it'll pull half the model paint off on the last piece of tape I need to remove. Just physics.

DSCN0471.jpg

I smashed 'em down fairly good on both and run my finger over both several times as can be seen by the detail lumps showing through the tape. I eased both off like you're suppose to remove tape and smooshed it back on and YANKED it off. Both sticky sides are in the pictures. I got 'er zoomed in pretty good and y'all can see, not one speck. After only 12 hours of cure, these results are promising though, that's a fact.

Next, does it sand and does that sanded area feather. I deliberately splattered some primer on the inside of this just for this test, just for y'all. You're all welcome, don't mention it. Please. Really.

DSCN0469.jpg

Promising results here too which I know will improve with time. The primer, after about the first hour, wasn't sticky or tacky at all, but I did not try this until it had set for 12 hours. It sands easily too, another on the plus side and doesn't try to ball up or smear at all and to give it the most possible chance to go wrong, this was sanded with a 3M Scotchbrite. That woulda balled up a granite countertop, so this result will work.

DSCN0472.jpg

This concludes this test of the Battlestar Galactica Priming System. This was ONLY a test. You will now be returned to your normal programming, already in progress.

;)

I am loving the detail pics of the build, and yes, the primer makes them look even more awesome! You have been a serious inspiration to me to get my build (different subject, but from the same late-70's timeframe) back into gear, as I also have to get many of the original donor parts reduced down to much smaller sizes... or adequately fake the same look with other parts - so, *I* greatly appreciate seeing you do just! (y)
(y)(y)(y)

***Please read in John Cleese, Distressed letter to the BBC Voice***

Dear Mr Mudbug Consumer,

We are still actively enjoying this thread!

Why? I Dunno. Perhaps it has to do with enjoying watching someone actively chronicling their efforts and appreciating their hard work.

I am not working on a Star Destroyer or a Battlestar, but *am* working on other items which are not relevant to this thread, and I have no desire to steal your well-earned thunder.

Sincerely,

Brigadier Alistair Gordon, Lethevridge Stewart, Mrs.

PS- there is absolutely no cannibalism in the navy! Okay, just a little

***Please read in John Cleese, Distressed letter to the BBC Voice***

Dear Mr Mudbug Consumer,

We are still actively enjoying this thread!

Why? I Dunno. Perhaps it has to do with enjoying watching someone actively chronicling their efforts and appreciating their hard work.

I am not working on a Star Destroyer or a Battlestar, but *am* working on other items which are not relevant to this thread, and I have no desire to steal your well-earned thunder.

Sincerely,

Brigadier Alistair Gordon, Lethevridge Stewart, Mrs.

PS- there is absolutely no cannibalism in the navy! Okay, just a little
Just for the sake of argument: What would you say is the most tasty part of a human? Asking for a friend. ;)

Just for the sake of argument: What would you say is the most tasty part of a human? Asking for a friend. ;)

Quite clearly, their ability to roll with a joke or criticism.

All lightly basted in honey and spices, gently smoked to peels-off-the-fork perfection

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back