Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

if you hear someone making laser turret noises, that would be me.

PEW PEW-PEW PEW-P-PEW

***in monotone voice***Target that turret, Ah! ***EXPLOSION***

You all like it so far? I'm running into a problem as I approach the rear though. What I've got as reference shows TWO different studio scale Battlestar Galactica's, so I'm gonna need y'all's suggestions, especially if anyone here with me knows anything about the Galactica?

Last edited:
I'm running into a problem as I approach the rear though. What I've got as reference shows TWO different studio scale Battlestar Galactica's, so I'm gonna need y'all's suggestions, especially if anyone here with me knows anything about the Galactica?
Galactica 78 engine Detail.pngGalactica 78 Front Port Detail.pngGalactica 78 Top SB Detail.pngGalactica 78 Full Front Detail.png
Maybe these might help?

Last edited:
You all like it so far? I'm running into a problem as I approach the rear though. What I've got as reference shows TWO different studio scale Battlestar Galactica's, so I'm gonna need y'all's suggestions, especially if anyone here with me knows anything about the Galactica?
There was only 1 large Battlestar built for the 78-79 show. That is the one in the link I posted above. It definitely wasn't in the best of repair, at that time, but it is the real deal. The pictures Invar posted are of the restored miniature, right before it's auction.

Last edited:
Thank you, Analyzer-san. Looks like I am wasting another time. :notworthy:

Here is the Mother lode of studio model photos:

There was only 1 large Battlestar built for the 78-79 show. That is the one in the link I posted above. It definitely wasn't in the best of repair, at that time, but it is the real deal. The pictures Invar posted are of the restored miniature, right before it's auction.

According to the Modeler Magic site Kurt wrote

Now, it should be noted that these photos were taken by Chris Pappas directly after the Mark Bradley restoration was done. What this means is that while these photos are detailed, this is not accurate (part for part) to how it was originally seen on screen.

However, the good news is that the then owner of the Galactica Studio Filming Model (Gary Cannavo), before he sold it in 2017, had since spent thousands of dollars restoring this original filming model to it’s original specs… part for part! It is now in it’s original glory once again.

So if I understand correctly, the pictures INVAR posted are of the Galactica after the Gary Cannavo restoration work, which is the most acurate to the original filming model. If you are going for accuracy, use the Gary Cannavo pics from INVAR

The ones on the Modeler, Miniatures and Magic site edge10 posted are indeed a great resource, but as Kurt mentions, they are not as accurate part for part to the original

Of course in the end it is your model, so you can always pick which one you prefer regardless of accuracy when there are differences.

Last edited:
Following this build!

My sister gave me this kit as a gift last Christmas (best xmas gift evar--she found it on eBay for about $180), and I built it earlier this year. Bought the replacement bridge and nose piece, but otherwise, built OOB, which is good enough for my purposes. Looks great on my shelf, and satisfies long time wish to have a Galactica model.

Decals were awful, FYI. Had to paint some of the stripes.

Following this build!

My sister gave me this kit as a gift last Christmas (best xmas gift evar--she found it on eBay for about $180), and I built it earlier this year. Bought the replacement bridge and nose piece, but otherwise, built OOB, which is good enough for my purposes. Looks great on my shelf, and satisfies long time wish to have a Galactica model.

Yeah, I scanned the decals and touched them up. I also made the red much deeper in color and replaced the name plate lettering with accurate versions found here on the RPF.

Actually - I experimented with using Future as a softener, setting agent and clear coat for that build with those decals, and they worked great. Did not have to use any red paint and do any masking at all. The only paint on mine is the primer, base coat and the launch tubes. Everything else is decals. The softening and leveling capabilities of the Future enabled the decals to warp and affix well to non-flat surfaces as well.

After that experience, it is now standard for me to use Future/Pledge for any decal work. Have not been disappointed yet. Even super-thin decals that rip off the backing I have been able to piece together on the model with future and you would never know there was a break.

Actually - I experimented with using Future as a softener, setting agent and clear coat for that build with those decals, and they worked great. Did not have to use any red paint and do any masking at all. The only paint on mine is the primer, base coat and the launch tubes. Everything else is decals. The softening and leveling capabilities of the Future enabled the decals to warp and affix well to non-flat surfaces as well.

After that experience, it is now standard for me to use Future/Pledge for any decal work. Have not been disappointed yet. Even super-thin decals that rip off the backing I have been able to piece together on the model with future and you would never know there was a break.
I like using Future on my aircraft builds, but didn't for the Galactica. Not sure it would have helped much--many of the decals shattered when I barely touched them. :-(

I like using Future on my aircraft builds, but didn't for the Galactica. Not sure it would have helped much--many of the decals shattered when I barely touched them. :-(
Interesting. I did not have that problem with mine. I had decal problems with the Viper Mk I & II models, but not the Galactica. In fact here's a couple close-ups of the contour-leveling I was able to achieve with those decals on the model using Future/Pledge:

Side-Decalsport.jpgTop-Decals.jpg

Interesting. I did not have that problem with mine. I had decal problems with the Viper Mk I & II models, but not the Galactica. In fact here's a couple close-ups of the contour-leveling I was able to achieve with those decals on the model using Future/Pledge:

View attachment 1467604View attachment 1467603
Lol, that's too funny--your photos = the exact decals I had the most problems with. I kinda willed the dome decal into place, but it's still flattened on one side. Those nose stripes gave me fits, as I knew no amount of Microsol/set would get them to lie down across those irregular surfaces. I ended up masking and painting as best I could.

Here is the Mother lode of studio model photos:

Thank you! Yes, I've had those for quite some time. There's actually where some of the first discrepancies show up.

Again, Thank you. That's what I've always understood was there was just the one. Admittedly, I've never gotten deep into the Galactica because I've always considered a studio scale cost prohibitive. There's a whole buncha very expensive and hard to find kits on one, as most already know.

According to the Modeler Magic site Kurt wrote

Now, it should be noted that these photos were taken by Chris Pappas directly after the Mark Bradley restoration was done. What this means is that while these photos are detailed, this is not accurate (part for part) to how it was originally seen on screen.

However, the good news is that the then owner of the Galactica Studio Filming Model (Gary Cannavo), before he sold it in 2017, had since spent thousands of dollars restoring this original filming model to it’s original specs… part for part! It is now in it’s original glory once again.

So if I understand correctly, the pictures INVAR posted are of the Galactica after the Gary Cannavo restoration work, which is the most acurate to the original filming model. If you are going for accuracy, use the Gary Cannavo pics from INVAR

The ones on the Modeler, Miniatures and Magic site edge10 posted are indeed a great resource, but as Kurt mentions, they are not as accurate part for part to the original

Of course in the end it is your model, so you can always pick which one you prefer regardless of accuracy when there are differences.
Understood. Addressed later.

Following this build!

Yes sir, I consider that an excellent gift as well! Ok, it was that expensive a year ago??? Man.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back