Modifying a Rubies Mask

Can you post what you did in the Rubies mask to make the laser light up? Was this a custom design of your own, or does the Rubies one light up as manufactured (which will really surprise me if it is)?
Also it looks like you painted the original P1 bio before upgrading. Can you tell us what some of your magic was with painting it? Any special tips or tricks?

Thanks a bunch brah!!! I will definately use your tutorial!! but uuh one question. What site did you get your celtic bio mask?? I know theres a bunch of sites out there but i wanna get the one YOU got so I KNOW the mask mod WILL turn out right.

im probly gonna get stuck making my girl a costume so i gotta save money now...i may use this method for both to save some cash...will 40 dread locks be enough for mine and hers for a full head? 20 on each? or should i buy more? im going with bambooie's AVP set of 40....

im going to edit my rubies mask like your but buy some dreads i found i had a couple questions thought, what kind of bio did you use because i find em all over ebay for like 30$ but i heard they are the wrong size, and second do you know of anyway to make the actual face better like just replacing it altogether or what

Also it looks like you painted the original P1 bio before upgrading. Can you tell us what some of your magic was with painting it? Any special tips or tricks?

Nope...didnt paint the original bio at all.....thats the way it came. I never added any lights/lasers to it either.....never ended up using that bio at all...got the first good bio off e-bay and threw out the rubies one. LED's were added to teh 'good' P1 bio after I bought it, and it was already painted like that.

Thanks

Thanks a bunch brah!!! I will definately use your tutorial!! but uuh one question. What site did you get your celtic bio mask?? I know theres a bunch of sites out there but i wanna get the one YOU got so I KNOW the mask mod WILL turn out right.

Celtic Bio I got from here...its made by Steve Hird, they come up for sale every now and then..or you can just put a post out there asking if anyone has one for sale. Hope that helps!

im probly gonna get stuck making my girl a costume so i gotta save money now...i may use this method for both to save some cash...will 40 dread locks be enough for mine and hers for a full head? 20 on each? or should i buy more? im going with bambooie's AVP set of 40....

hmmm, putting bambooie dreds on a rubies mask? I dont know if anyone has ever tried that before! I dont know that I would reccomend that either..they are too good for a rubies mask in my opinion. And even if you do go ahead with it, I dont think 20 would be enough, you would need 35 minimum..and that might even be pushing it. I would just go with backer rods or something low budget..save some more money, and get a good mask to go with the bambooie dreds. Even of you go with a half mask, that would be better in my opinion.

im going to edit my rubies mask like your but buy some dreads i found i had a couple questions thought, what kind of bio did you use because i find em all over ebay for like 30$ but i heard they are the wrong size, and second do you know of anyway to make the actual face better like just replacing it altogether or what

no way to make the face better...thats why i cut it off. Getting a bio that fits it is a roll of the dice. I tried a few bios before I found ones that actually fit it properly....there is really no way to tell until you get the bio in your hands. The STeve Hird Celtic fits for sure....and so does Hez's Scar....thats all I know from my personal experience. Good luck!

When I modded my Rubies, I used a roll of foam tube from a hardware store (it's used to fill in cracks before plastering). I ended up using almost all of a 50-foot roll (I had about 5-6 feet left over at the end), and cut it into (does a quick count) 27 pieces.

Can you post what you did in the Rubies mask to make the laser light up? Was this a custom design of your own, or does the Rubies one light up as manufactured (which will really surprise me if it is)?

When I modded my Rubies mask, I poked three holes in the bio and inserted three red LEDs, and wired them up to a nine-volt battery that I velcro'd to the inside of the bio. Then I poked a hole in the outside of the laser housing and inserted a push-button switch and wired that in, so I could reach up and turn the lasersights on and off.

When I did mine I gave it a complete repaint as well as added different tusks.
DCFC0164.jpg

DCFC0165.jpg

DCFC0163.jpg

I never got around to putting in dreads.

When I did mine I gave it a complete repaint as well as added different tusks.

(slaps forehead) Now why didn't *I* think of that? I painted my skin specifically to match the mask, but modding the tusks is a great idea. Consider it stolen. :D

Not a problem. There is a bit of detail that you can pull out of that mask with a few color washes. Also replacing the tusks helps a bit.

Hi, I was just looking around for some cheap masks to mod, and I was wondering if the mask you're using is anything like http://totallycostumes.amazonwebstore.com/.../B000VLMZS8.htm ?
I've seen a lit that say "3/4 size" but i've also read on here the deluxe rubies mask is really huge?
Thanks!

No, that's doesn't look like it's the Rubies mask we are talking about. The Rubies mask we are talking about is this Deluxe one:

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Predator-Adult...e/dp/B000B8X16Q

It usually runs about $50-60.

The one you linked to looks like it has an open back (that's what the "3/4 size" means--it's not a full mask that completely covers your head). That would make it really hard to add dreads all the way around the mask. And since it doesn't look like it comes with a bio, you'd have to find one that fit--the bio that comes with the Rubies Deluxe mask isn't great, but it at least fits the mask.

No, that's doesn't look like it's the Rubies mask we are talking about. The Rubies mask we are talking about is this Deluxe one:

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Predator-Adult...e/dp/B000B8X16Q

It usually runs about $50-60.

The one you linked to looks like it has an open back (that's what the "3/4 size" means--it's not a full mask that completely covers your head). That would make it really hard to add dreads all the way around the mask. And since it doesn't look like it comes with a bio, you'd have to find one that fit--the bio that comes with the Rubies Deluxe mask isn't great, but it at least fits the mask.

Oh alright thanks! The bio thing wouldn't be a problem, i've actually been working on the base for one for a while now with paper mache and cardboard, then going to bondo and add the nice details once the form is looking all right :)
Just trying to figure out a good way to get a fairly inexpensive undermask thing going on! I might attempt what I have seen on here with what some people do with the body suits, sculpting it with foam and covering it with liquid latex to simulate the pred skin, perhaps that would worK?

Oh alright thanks! The bio thing wouldn't be a problem, i've actually been working on the base for one for a while now with paper mache and cardboard, then going to bondo and add the nice details once the form is looking all right :)
Just trying to figure out a good way to get a fairly inexpensive undermask thing going on! I might attempt what I have seen on here with what some people do with the body suits, sculpting it with foam and covering it with liquid latex to simulate the pred skin, perhaps that would worK?

I've been kicking around the idea of making my own bio mask too---I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

As far as making my own undermask, I just don't think my art skills are up for sculpting my own. I suppose I could just buy one from someone here, but in all honesty I find it more fun to tinker with the Rubies I have to modify it as much as I can. And maybe one day I will go ahead and give it a shot sculpting my own, and just hope that it doesn't turn out TOO awful.

For me, most of the fun of a suit comes in the making of it, not in the wearing of it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back