MK IV build complete and with Rescue!

Kolin86

Ok, so as much as I normally hate starting up new threads (this is actually my first thread for this board.) It's going to be easier for me to document my work here.

So this time last year I started my build on the Iron man suit. It was probably the biggest project I worked on. It took me nearly six months for a foam costume. I know right? I never worked with foam, pepakura and scalling before so it was a hell of a learning curve, but I had a fun time and everyone loved the costume.

Cept me. I constantly was trying to tweak it and make it better.

So recently I decided that I would start up a charity organization for visting hospitals in costume and decided that it would be the perfect reason to upgrade my suit and make it look better, for the kids... naturally.

One of the first things I wanted to take care of was the chest/back piece. Due to scalling it was far too short for me, being 6'2 versus Stealth's shorter stature, there was always a gap between the abs and the begining of the chest. I also never built the brace/collar plates, as I didn't think they were needed. Now looking at it I realize how important they are for making sure the chest and back are lined up properly.

Im now working on the shoulder bells as they were actually the first pieces I made and never got around to replacing them. Lots of mistakes were make and I know I can do a better job now.

The first two photos are of my old costume oh, in the first pic is also msleeper, an awesome poster on the board I got to hang out with some at D*C. The rest are progress pics of the new chest/back. I will be posting more pics as I progress in this.

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man MK IV build

Update.

So day before yesterday had a set back. I thought I unplugged my hot glue gun, which does not have an on/off switch, instead I unplugged my hot knife (which does, and was set to off,) and set my chest piece beside it. During the day, the can knocked the piece on top of the hot glue gun, ruining most of the chest area.

I've done major surgery to it, if you can tell where, congrats.

I've started mod podging the back and chest now, I'm up to 3 coats for the back and brace, and 2 coats for the chest. I've started sanding the high spots on the back now. Will be doing the same thing on the chest piece after the third coat as well.

Still need to fill in some gaps in the back and chest area as well. Will do this before primer.

Also have the shoulders nearly built, you can see the old one next to it.

Looking good so far man. Shame about the incident but such is the way. Have you thought about how to attach the shoulders so they don't lie so low? I have pics in my thread of how I get them to rest on top of the shoulder braces if it helps. Just scan through my thread and you should find them easy enough. The new pads look at a much better scale. I had the same thing when made mine, thought they were scaled right until I put them next to my torso. Thank fully I didn't complete one before checking.

Thanks Drack, and I'll def check it out. Your build is godly btw. I'm hoping in a few more builds I'll get somewhere near where you are. Either way it looks better than my last one and thats whats important to me.

So out of my thank you list, I have to add now docholiday as his paint app worked perfectly! Got the back painted up and its looking wonderful. Chest is going through paint now.

For some reason I can't seem to find gold paint in my area anymore. I've found like 20 perfect paints that would be suitable for the the gold used in IM3 and like burnt sienna, wtf.

Also, does anyone know where I can get mod podge in a spray can? I've searched like 20 places for that as well and can't find it. Would save me a lot of time in trying to get rid of brush strokes if i can just spray it on.

Edit post: Got the chest painted and attached to the back and brace. Now all I need to do is find gold...

Last edited:

Shoulders are now done. A nice old vs new set up as well. Still looking for the right gold to use. I used valspar gold on the old one and I liked it well enough. Can't seem to find anymore of it anywhere near me. Will have to look around the Miami area and see if I can't find some.

Here are the updated ab/cod area. I need to reshape a bit on the cod, as I feel its gotten about too far out. I'll bend it back with some heat and plying tonight.

And here is the ab/cod finished. I'm going to start sealing it tonight.

I tried the mod podge spray, and after two coats I noticed nothing in terms of seal, it just smelled like it was dipped in the most horrible version of febreeze ever "It doesn't smell good at all, it just sucks!"

I also think I need to move the top of the ab plate forward and inch or two to sit more flush with the chest piece. I'll get that done tonight.

Sadly this will be the last piece I get to finish before Mega this year. So my crappy legs will still be around. C'est la vie.

Cod is on the second coat of sealant, the gold is painted on the collar and back, and new arc reactor.

Now I just need to add another coat of sealant to the cod, paint the gold on the chest, paint the cod, wash and weather the areas a little bit and I'll be ok for Mega.

I'll start on the legs once I get back.

So I got the cod painted up and had the perfect chance for a field test. Comic book shop down the road was reopening and wanted people in costume! Got to try out the new shoulders, abs and chest for about 2 hours and hoorah, no failures.

I am noticing two things though:
1: The thighs are pulling down the cod piece, I will be correcting this by adding straps to rest on the shoulders.
2: The chest/back wants to torque itself backwards, nearly choking me, I will need a way to set it up so it stays the in its proper position. It doesn't really choke, but it does slide back, so I will need to figure out some way to fix this.

Wow, its been a while. I have been at work on the costume, just too busy to post anything.

So, I went up to Mega a few weeks back to do some more field tests. I was able to reinstall my speaker system into the new chest, and having the front of the chest entirely detachable is a godsend for breaks and breathing in general.

I also finally got in a red body suit. This help give a better look overall, to anyone thinking about getting one, do so.

I have also nearly finished up the new shins, and have added hip pods to the costume. I have new thighs, but well, I don't much care for them. I overshot alot of the cutting angles and now the sides of the knees are touching together. I will remake them this weekend. I added them into the pic so you can see the full scale of the suit. I'm happy with the new shape overall.

My first charity event will be on the 16th. And I've been asked by my local comic shop to show up for the midnite opening of IM3, so I'm super stoked about that.

So I finally got the shins painted, Still haven't rebuilt the thighs. As time is running out I may just run with the ones I have.... Not too happy with that but thats just the way it goes some times.

I did also build my Gf's Rescue shins and painted them however. So at least those are done. I'm not having to repaint all of her costume because of some paint malfunctions and user errors.

I also ran into some weird dusting on the clear coat. I find that I can buff it off but still, if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it.

Re: MK IV build now with stomping action!

Thanks. I kept it all one scale so they all line up right. I think the best way is to measure the sun piece correctly and go from there.

Nice work on the suit sir, you have a lot of talent. I am supposed to get my mega stomp Monday. I will be at my wife's school Tuesday, so the sound effects should go over well with the kids.

Nice work on the suit sir, you have a lot of talent. I am supposed to get my mega stomp Monday. I will be at my wife's school Tuesday, so the sound effects should go over well with the kids.

Awesome, I went to do a charity event today and it went over pretty well with everyone.

I'm uploading pics to show the group and the new updates to the costume. I'm going to be rebuilding the arms and the helmet next, after that I think I'm done.

I'm going to be trying to get those done before May for the IM3 premier. The local comic shop is asking me to show up at midnight for it, and well, who am I to say no?

Re: MK IV build First charity event up!

My friend just edited one of the pics from before. Thought I'd throw it up here.

Tonight I will start working on the forarms and my GF's Rescue pieces. I've also attached a pic of her costume pieces as well.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back