Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by maruska, Nov 24, 2012.

1. maruska

maruska Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I'm a long-time lurker with a long-time Falcon project sitting on the bench. Much of my approach for my Falcon thus has involved machining and 3D printing of parts that I either can't find or can't afford to kit bash from; I do a ton of CAD work in my job, so it's a natural extension of what I do.

I know there has been a ton of work amongst this forum's members identify and reconcile different versions of the Falcon - 5-foot, full-scale sets, 32" model, etc - and I think it would be cool to create a repository of CAD models that can be used to print parts as needed to recreate whatever Falcon you happen to be working on.

Below are some examples of some of the parts I've started working on. I'll probably be posting theses bits to GrabCAD for others to download and print at some point.

My goal is largely self serving, but I do plan to make my work freely available as open-source and if there are any CAD monkey's out there looking to collaborate, I'm happy to share the load.

I have more background process info and high-res images on my site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    J.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. maruska

Re: Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

The Captain's chairs are now on GrabCAD here.

It'll be a while before I get the Nav Comm chair up since they are still sketches...

Cheers,
    J.

3. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

This is a dream come true! :)

4. maruska

Cool.

I'm hoping there are other people that will want to get involved.

I'm also happy to CAD specific parts if people are looking for something hard to find. My goal is to have a complete model (a real one - not just rendered) at some point. But my goals are to do a model at a 32" scale, with some 5-foot detailing and a replica cockpit inside.

[​IMG]

5. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have the base chair for the Nav chairs. Let me know if I can help.

6. maruska

Stormy,

I just checked-out your thread! Very cool that you have the Sea Venom variant. I've had a heck of a time finding photos of that particular seat.

I might hit you up for some more detailed images with rulers in frame.

: )

7. maruska

Also - you can see some full length views of my model thus far here: Nav-Comm seats.

8. maruska

I’ve made available a base model of the main console. It will be a while before a fully detailed version is up, but thought I’d share what I have on GrabCAD.

[​IMG]

I am currently rebuilding parts of the Nav Comm chair based on some new information.

9. Simple

Simple Well-Known Member

Amazing! Thanks for sharing these models.

C

10. maruska

No worries. I hope to gain some interest amongst people who are smarter than me. So I invite feedback. It's a living thing, so it will change and grow.

J.

11. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Nice rendering, can't wait to see some pieces made.(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

12. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

VERY VERY cool idea. if we can actually get a hold of a real laser scanner we could scan real parts and add them to the repository... but I understand those scanners are still out of "normal" peoples price range (mine for sure) at 20k or more... But that will change over time.

Jedi Dade

13. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Awesome looking work. Keep it up.

Go with this system. It's what I used to make my Vader scans. If I'd gotten a stepper motor made I could have made scans in twice the resolution I worked with on the Vader project.

DAVID 3D Scanner

14. maruska

Or if you have an iPhone 123D Catch works pretty well. Can get a rough proportion of things and image maps.

Please! Please!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  15. maruska

[​IMG]

A little more refinement of the Nav-Comm seats. Still have quite a bit to work out on the back frame. The upper bits are pretty close, but the mid sections are populated with place holder levers and rods.

struschie likes this.
  16. maruska

[​IMG]

I still have some more work to do on the parts that aren't part of the Martin Baker frame (ahem, Tupperware lid), but I think I'm about as close to the MB Mk4 frame as I'm gonna get without one sitting in front of me.

The catapult tube and top cap have been updated. All the fiddly lever and linkage bits on the sides have been updated. The drogue gun has been resized to be more accurate. Most of the underlaying structure has been adjusted. I've recanted on my thoughts about the rubber banding on the seat pads - what I show seems to fit better against photo reference - a 1-inch band coupled with a 1/2" tube binding the seat frame.

Here is a 4k high res image of the chair so far...

... and I've had a few people ask for orthographic projections of my seat in progress.

[​IMG]

My daughter refers to the edge pattern on the the seat pads as the "Butterfly"; it's an artifact of the modeling technique I use to create soft pillowed forms, not unlike the natural surfacing techniques I've done on watches for Nike.

17. maruska

[​IMG]

Just a quick update before the weekend is over. Here are the control levers I’ll be using for the console. There will be extensions that run down into the dashboard, but these are the top bits anyway – the part that was also used on C-3PO’s knees.

This one has also been uploaded to GrabCAD.

Cheers,
    J.

18. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your models look great. I would love it if you could model the sidewalls of the falcon, specifically because I'm going to be doing a hasbro legacy conversion, and if I had a good 3d model of the sidewalls to work from in stl format I could print out some great upgrade parts to help with my model.

19. maruska

Eventually, I will be doing some of the exterior bits - at lest the ones I don't have in kit form, or that are out of my price-range to harvest. Also, since I'm doing a bit of a scale conversion from the 5 foot ANH falcon down to a more manageable 32" ESB scale and then including some of the full scale set elements, I'll need to model some of those parts anyway. I probably won't be doing full sidewalls as 3D, but if there are people out there that are willing to contribute, I'm happy to host parts from my site.

Currently, all my part files are uploaded to GrabCAD as STEP files (surface/solid hybrid AP214 format) so they are resolution independent. I'll eventually do STL conversions for my own project (and will probably post those too) but am keeping things as surface files so others have flexibility to modify and tweak for their own purposes.

J.

20. aero

aero New Member

hat's off to you

21. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

Very cool stuff. I would love to get some Rap-pro stuff for my SMT falcon, mainly a new cockpit interior, gunwells and a few other bits.

22. maruska

Does anyone know the width of the three bands at the seat/back junction?

My current model has them at 1" wide each, but they seem too fat.

I'm trying to wrap this up so I can post the model and there are a few nagging details.

J.

23. maruska

Hey Qrest,

I'm working on getting the nav comm seat finished-up to post soon.

The RepRap-Pro is an FDM type machine and I'll be doing some tests on an FDM over the holidays. I don't think FDM is the best choice for fine scale - I'll be doing the FDM tests at 1/6th, but eventually be building my ESB scale parts on an Eden/Objet printer and hope that the detail in the models holds.

J.

24. maruska

[​IMG]

Another update!

Sorry for the long hiatus - been traveling a lot and now I'm headed out to Korea tomorrow; and since it'll be a while before I get back to falconing, I thought I'd push this out before I go.

I uploaded the model to grabCad - but it's only mostly complete. All the appearance/exterior surfaces are there, but I'm still deciding how I actually want to "manufacture" it and how the parts will be broken-up - so that's still left to do; but I figured that since it "looks" done, I'd offer it up and let people render or modify or whatever to it.

I should note that I probably won't be doing the variant seen in the Main Hold, but this is a good foundation for such a seat.

IzzyMel, Supercruise and struschie like this.
  25. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Beautiful! :)

26. maruska

Been working on roughing-out the *-pit and access corridor. Feeling the full force of the "Ship of Riddles" effect now. I've been blissfully modeling away and everything has been working fine - until I got to trying to fit all of the access corridor into my exterior geometry. :facepalm

Here's a shot of my current compromised solution. Notice the difference in floor heights in the hall way and the cockpit...

[​IMG]

27. maruska

Thanks!

28. maruska

Here's a peek down the hallway - how ever wrong it may be...

[​IMG]

29. Stormy320

He's back!

Great stuff!

30. maruska

A little New Year's Eve noodling. The wife on the couch sewing, I next to her tweaking on the pilot seats. A little more "lived-in feeling" and, the upper quilting is more paunchy; like the photo reference I've seen.

[​IMG]

also; found this image while tooling around looking for reference. Were custom vans big in England in '77?

[​IMG]

31. maruska

TEST PRINTS!

[​IMG]

Low res, 1/6th scale model of the nav seat for CAD verification.

Missing the TRM and Drogue Chute greebles, and the plexi panel on the rear frame, but gives me an idea of what will work, detail-wise, on the high res miniatures.

:)

Vacformedhero likes this.
  32. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

awesome!!

33. LrdSatyr8

LrdSatyr8 Sr Member

I think this is an awesome idea! I would love to get involved on this... hell we may be able to create an entire kit just from printing. I've thought about something like this for awhile now. Have you talked to SteveStarkiller yet? He has done alot of work on a completely accurate falcon in 3D. Including the cockpit etc... he may be able to donate alot to this project as well. With this we all will be able to create our own 32" or 5 footer! I LOVE IT!

34. maruska

Yup! That's the plan - to have a fully printable kit at some point. I'd love to get other people involved in the modeling of parts. I'm happy to host parts on my site for people that have already made stuff.

SteveStarkiller and I have had quite a bit of dialog and comparing notes via PM.

Let me know if you want to contribute.

Cheers,
    J.

35. Cadeus

Cadeus Sr Member

:confused I keep seeing things like this and think.... WOW!!! I am looking forward to seeing your progress, as I am planning to build the uber-awesome 5' SS Millennium Falcon (some day in the very near future). I am planning to take a course or two in CAD or 3-D modeling in the immediate future, too. With 3-D printing, a whole new world of modeling has opened up, and I can't wait to be a part of it! :) I have mad respect for your skills! Thank-you for sharing.:popcorn

36. McGraph

McGraph Active Member

Hey it looks like we are of similar opinion on this I created a thread over in the ss forum without knowing about this one titled 3d scanned parts resource basically same thought line as you but i was thinking about scanning the parts in and cleaning them up. Also i wanted to thank you on your falcon drawing joewhite made a modified version for a cutting template and I'm planning to use it as the base model for my 32" falcon.

37. maruska

Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Oooo! Very cool! Do have any scan files yet? I'm happy to get in on clean-up duty!

Glad you used my drawings! I have the base plates cut for a 32-incher as well!

: )

38. maruska

Not quite related to my main project, but fun nonetheless. This is actually what started this whole crazy endeavor - I made this to go with the LEGO Star Destroyer. It's to scale for that model. It was easier than making a LEGO Star Destroyer to go with the LEGO UCS Millennium Falcon kit. STL Files available on GrabCAD!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. SteveStarkiller

SteveStarkiller Sr Member

ha, that's awesome!

40. maruska

Where have I been?

Sorry, my work and travel schedule have been nutty the past couple weeks. I know I have a pile of PM's that I need to respond to. I'll catch up when I get back from Korea (again!)

J.

41. dsp5500

dsp5500 Well-Known Member

Sick!!! I gotta check the general modeling section more. Well impressed:thumbsup

42. maruska

Been traveling a lot lately, but have kept chugging along. Been focusing on the main dashboard console for the cockpit. This includes building a library of common parts such as; the chicklet buttons, toggle switches, rocker switches, keycaps and so on. Hopefully this will make populating the sidewalls of the cockpit interior go a bit faster. Now for some eye candy…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    J.

43. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

That is so cool!

44. maruska

Greebling away!

Just a few more bits to add (mainly below the levers) and then it'll be up on grabCAD...

[​IMG]

Greeble can be used as a verb, right? As in to greeble?

J.

45. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Amazing looking work.

46. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

That is sick! Fantastic work!

47. maruska

Same model, but with some materials applied. Looks a bit naked without the pinstripes.

[​IMG]

48. maruska

Mmmmm... toggle switches. :)

[​IMG]

49. Stormy320

Very Cool.

What's next?

50. maruska

Millenium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Ha! You really want to see my to do list?

Now that I have a nice passel of parts, I can start populating the rear wall and side panels of the cockpit interior.

I still have some clean-up on the Nav Seat; and I want to rework the corridor to better resolve that riddle.

Beyond that, I've had some offers from other forum members to donate 3D scans of exterior kit parts that I can digitize and clean-up for printing.