Millennium Falcon crew 1/40th scale

ozzyguanche

Sr Member
Hi all

Moved my attempt at the 1/40th scale crew here to the General Modeling from the Studio Scale section. Didnt want to clog up the Studio scale area with a "non" studio scale replica thread. Even though the original idea was for these to be for a 32 inch scale Falcon.

Anyway Need some imput please.

Han is based on the size suggested by Cking which is

Han - 6' is 4.4cm at 1:40.
Leia - 5' 2" is 3.9cm at 1:40.
C-3PO - 5' 8" is 4.3cm at 1:40.
Chewie - What ever looks right sitting down.

I then made chewbacca compared to han.

I have given some more bulk to Chewie and tried to get his height right against han sitting down. Does he need more height to the crown of his head? Is he big enough?

Han, I have given constume detail, and worked his face and hair some more. Any suggestions on how to improve his face. Tried to give him a frown and larger nose. Not easy at this scale.

Photos.

DSC00415.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

I have made a scale cockpit to make sure they fit, and to use as a compariement against screne grabs. Here are a few pics seated.

DSC00422.jpg

And one with the extra ESB crew.

DSC00428.jpg

Thanks in advance

Ozzy

Looking good Ozzy. Regarding Chewie's height - I noticed that generally, Chewie's eyeline should be at approximately the same level as the top of Han's head if they're both sitting in the seats reasonably upright. (The classic ANH lobby card showing Han, Chewie, Luke and Obi-Wan in the cockpit demonstrates this perfectly). That's the reference pic I used when I asked the sculptor to make the adjustments to Chewie's height.

Look forward to seeing more progress.

Chris

Hi Ozzy,

Looks good! If you'd like Chewie's sculpted fur to have a smoother texture put a piece of plastic wrap over the clay/putty and then score your fur lines with the modeling tool. It keeps the clay from getting "crumbs" and rough lines.

Hi Weezer, thanks for the advice. I will try that with the last bits of hair I put on. I will have to find something a little smoother to use as a tool, as the pin and scalple I use will most likely cut the plastic. Before your advice I had done the following.

Chewie - Added utility belt, Added hair to lower body and arms. Some change to eye area.

Han - Re-did hair, nose, chin, brow, mouth, collar on jacket.

I may not touch the face's much more as I dont want to screw them up, and I dont think I am capable of getting the likeness any closer, other than maybe smoothing out the hair like weezer has suggested.

A few update pics.

DSC00493.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

And one for fun

DSC00495.jpg

PS: Am I going to have problems with casting these in one piece or should I remove arms etc?

Thanks

Ozzy

You're doing a bang up job. Don't mess around with it too much. Finish what you need to and walk away.

I would cast these in pieces. Like military figures are.

Big big, apologies,

I have done nothing since my last post. New job is taking it out of me. I have some time today, and will try and finish them.

Ozzy

Big big, apologies,

I have done nothing since my last post. New job is taking it out of me. I have some time today, and will try and finish them.

Ozzy

Dude, no apologies required.

We're all stoked and grateful that you are doing this at all.

Thanks for plugging away man. :)

Hi Ozzy,

no apologies necessary, I think all of us would rather live in our own little fantasy world. Unfortunatly, all of us have commitments and bills to pay. You are doing an excellent job! I love the fine detail. Will you be lighting up the display panels?

Take care,
Jason

Hi Guys,

Well I made a mould of the figures and tried my first casts. The first didnt come out that well. Arms and hands missing. I used a syringe to inject into the mould but it didnt get to the arms. I will have another go today. Any suggestions other ways to do it please chime in.

A few pics, including one painted up.

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00544.jpg

DSC00542.jpg

Regards

Ozzy

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back