MILLENNIUM FALCON 5' REPLICA

All good...got the shell fully assembled and filled, and fixed onto a steel pole. There is another steel pole running across the docking rings which I have welded on to give lateral support

SAI4lvql.jpg
DqoGivPl.jpg
jOSJIAkl.jpg

I won't properly attach the mandibles until I've tackled the plating and greeblies

This build is looking amazing!. Came together really quick!. Amazes me what can be done with 3D printing, much admiration for you. I'm too 'old school' to go down this route haha.

Stu

This build is looking amazing!. Came together really quick!. Amazes me what can be done with 3D printing, much admiration for you. I'm too 'old school' to go down this route haha.

Stu

Thanks Stu. Your awesome build is one of the threads that inspired me to tackle the 5' MF. Old school will always be the best school!

Update time. I have modelled all the parts for the UPPER JAW...at least all the parts that I can find decent pics for and laid them out on a paper template for scale and position ref. Actually i have a couple more to do as there seems to be some variation in parts used

RYkjqyHl.jpg

6Z11ZGtl.jpg

Also modelled the GUN BAY/WINDOW;

U9UWP3El.jpg
u7JPqb1l.jpg

OK, another section modelled. U can get a crazy level of detail with resin printing these days and some of these parts are pretty intricate. There is no clue as to what some of the more unusual pieces were originally used for by just studying them in isolation. but there are some choice objects among them.
Does anyone know ; when they went to build the full size Falcon for ESB etc, did they use any of the full size tank/car/engine parts, to populate it, that they had taken from the miniature kits to make the original 5 footer?

LOWER DECK;

CHs5cEHl.jpg

fUQ3Z17l.jpg

Difficult to show the detail in photos with the grey resin but it should come out in the painting/weathering stages

I’ve been modeling both the ANH and ESB full scale falcons for years and I can say I don’t think they used any real life parts that would’ve constituted full scale donors. There are so many different scales it would be difficult but I’ve always like the idea.

There are blueprints detailing the edge of the mandible with scaled up measurements of some donor parts but they weren’t followed very closely.

The nearest thing is a replica of the big McLaren part on the top of the mandible, but it’s only present on the ANH full scale, gets totally omitted from the ESB. Other than that the Ferarri 312B part on the tips of the mandibles but again I don’t think it’s the right scale to be a 1:1 donor. Maybe one or two other bits but all just scaled up replicas

Otherwise mostly random junk!

Love your build, I’ve always dreamed of a printed 5’ but to be honest I’m glad you’re doing it so I don’t have to!

Last edited:
Cheers Steve...good to know. Strikes me as ironic somehow that Bandai produce the best PG Falcon, sourcing many of their own historic kits to do so.

Ok got the gun printed. Fully directional, of course

jEF3eu6l.jpg
vwcT2shl.jpg

There's a few minor greeblies to place on the gun emplacement but this section is done I think

Next to print are these Ferrari parts for the Top Jaw

screen4.png

screen5.png

tantalisingly similar...but not the same

wow!
nice work Geek1138!
How'd I overlook this thread,/
Your build is going really fast.
I dont know if Id have the patience to model all the greeblies for this bird.... you are going to have a hell of a parts library when you are done
enough to do any other original trilogy miniature if you wanted!

wow!
nice work Geek1138!
How'd I overlook this thread,/
Your build is going really fast.
I dont know if Id have the patience to model all the greeblies for this bird.... you are going to have a hell of a parts library when you are done
enough to do any other original trilogy miniature if you wanted!

Cheers dude...I actually never thought about it, but yeh, you're right, I could look into building some scaled up versions of other OT ships. Probably not the Star Destroyer though!

OK my eyes are starting to cross but I'm still working on those pesky greeblies. On the Port Mandible now. I have finally gained access to Studio Scale Modellers, kit scan resource, which is helping hugely with the accuracy, (although obviously not 100%). Being able to cross reference the parts with pix from threads and original model shots is invaluable.
Just wanted to say, also, that although this is a 5' SS replica, I am aware that it is a very different build from the traditional, authentic job of collecting and researching all the kits and I'D's, and the money, time and dedication that entails. Doing it exactly the way they did it originally...hats off to those guys for sure

Anyhoo, some more renders of parts modelled; I've corralled the pit parts together to print and drop in

screen9.png

screen10.png

Since you are going for an "all" 3D Printed bird,
Let me know if you could use a print out of these for the engine rings
This is the Virtual Kool Shade I modeled in 3D back in 2008, it was measured and derived from original 1970s era Kool shade.
The renders show a clean version of the Engine Ring grills but I plan to ad the bends and other damage (as in ANH) to the VKS grills
It has been adapted for 3D printing optimally around 25 microns resolution ( or less) Best with Polyjet Vero grey
VKS Ring_1.jpg VKS Ring_2.jpg Engine Grill Fit.jpg KS Parts2.jpg

OK, another section modelled. U can get a crazy level of detail with resin printing these days and some of these parts are pretty intricate. There is no clue as to what some of the more unusual pieces were originally used for by just studying them in isolation. but there are some choice objects among them.
Does anyone know ; when they went to build the full size Falcon for ESB etc, did they use any of the full size tank/car/engine parts, to populate it, that they had taken from the miniature kits to make the original 5 footer?

LOWER DECK;

View attachment 1071590

View attachment 1071591

Difficult to show the detail in photos with the grey resin but it should come out in the painting/weathering stages

You have convinced me to get a resin printer.
Awesome looking work!

Since you are going for an "all" 3D Printed bird,
Let me know if you could use a print out of these for the engine rings
This is the Virtual Kool Shade I modeled in 3D back in 2008, it was measured and derived from original 1970s era Kool shade.
The renders show a clean version of the Engine Ring grills but I plan to ad the bends and other damage (as in ANH) to the VKS grills
It has been adapted for 3D printing optimally around 25 microns resolution ( or less) Best with Polyjet Vero grey
View attachment 1076499 View attachment 1076501 View attachment 1076497 View attachment 1076498

Cheers dude, that would be awesome...was wondering how I was gonna tackle the Kool shade issue

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back