Millennium Chess Table(s) Finished

Rebelscum

Sr Member
After much more work than I really ever imagined, I have finished building my first Holochess Table and with some urging from Relicmaker, the only Steampunk Version I'll ever make, just because I had the wooden master for the top and needed something to do with it. Making poplar look good isn't something I'm anxious to do again.

As I ended up designing what I thought was the absolutely best replica possible, basically replicating every detail as close as possible and built to last, the cost is quite high for a completed replica, sorry to say.

Here's a video showing the basic demo mode, which is the audio and light pattern from the 50 seconds the game has in the first movie. The table is playing music from an internal flash drive and you can start the demo mode by pressing one of the 7 functional knobs. During the mode the audio plays and the lights repeat the pattern from the movie. After the demo, it goes back to the light pattern it was running, one of many, and returns to playing music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYfdj04bIs

Here's a 3D rotatable rendering of the table we used as part of the design process. http://rebelscum.com/2009/holochess-3d.pdf

Here are some photos.

chesstable01.jpg

chesstable02.jpg

chesstable03.jpg

chesstable04.jpg

chesstable05.jpg

chesstable06.jpg

chesstable07.jpg

chesstable08.jpg

chesstable09.jpg

chesstable10.jpg

chesstable11.jpg

And the Steampunk Version

Complete with Polished Brass Keys, Knobs and Lights (though they don't light up)

chesstable12.jpg

chesstable13.jpg

chesstable14.jpg

Last edited:
I'm speechless- those are beautiful !!

Is the color on the movie version a 2 tone silver, or does the color just look different due to the angle of the top sections ? Is it a 2 tone gunmetal ?

Awesome. Just stunning.

Really amazing work Phillip. Truly stunning. And to think, you're practically a junior member! LOL. Keep up the great work man. That table really raises the bar.

Is the color on the movie version a 2 tone silver, or does the color just look different due to the angle of the top sections ? Is it a 2 tone gunmetal ?

Having seen both in person I can answer this. It's one solid color, not two tone. I think the reflections are misleading you with the curved top reflecting the walls and ceiling.

The table really is amazing - lights, sounds and impeccable quality and detail.

Outstanding piece there Phil! No doubt a ton of work went into it but well worth it in the end.

The wood and brass version is exceptionally nice too!

best,
Tom

An absolutely exquisite piece of work mate. Every aspect brilliantly replicated and flawlessly crafted.

Warmest congratulations and many thanks for sharing!

Kudos! This is unreal. Your work is top notch and the RPF is a better place having you a member!

Someday, It might be cool to figure out a way to make clear pieces, maybe slightly stained their respective colors to give a sort of translucent hologram illusion. Maybe each piece could be lit from the inside as well.

Just dreaming out loud! Awesome job!

OUTSTANDING!

Be sure and let us know in this thread when it hits the junkyard so we don't miss it.

BrianM

"What a piece of junk!"

That is seriously above and beyond... I just had to throw a joke in there...

Chris L. will need one of these for his FSF... :love

Wow...

Drool...

Not a HUGE steampunk fan but I dont think anyone... EVEN a non SW fan could see that thing and not be taken back by how cool it is...

Wow!

(y)thumbsup

Last edited:
thanks for all the kind comments, makes the work worthwhile for sure.

To answer the paint question, it was after being unable to nail down an actual color match from the reference that I realized it must have been painted with a metallic auto paint, which looks different from different positions and in different light. That turned out better than I expected, which was nice to have happen.

I forgot to mention that I have not yet decided how to apply the black pinstripes to the control panels. I'm pretty sure they were just vinyl on the prop, but so far haven't been able to get comfortable with putting them on the table. I'd rather they were hand painted, so I may end up seeking somebody to do that for me.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back