Military Surplus in Star Wars Costumes: Go!

Karol

I am researching Star Wars costumes, and have a very good surplus connection. I've heard of military wool blankets being used for Jedi robes, and Mk2 talker helmets used as bases for customization. Please list off any other items that you are aware of that utilized real-world military clothing or gear. Thanks.

M19, M32, M38 Telescopes were used on E-11'a and DL-44 blasters.
I'm trying to see if Luke's ESB belt (and pouches) was also surplus military.

US Army half shelter = Boba Fett ROTJ/SE cape
Cdn Forces cold weather mukluks = Snowtrooper boots
Cdn Forces tank gauntlet gloves = Rebel pilot gauntlet gloves (I think?)
White military parade gloves, modified = Boba Fett gloves

i think there is a lot more. Check out Parts of Star Wars for a better inventory of what greeblies = which real life parts.

There is a very large number of items... Here are some from the top of my head:

* Boots worn by X-wing pilots, Rebel Fleet Troopers, TIE-fighter pilots and various Imperial crew were German "Knobelbecher" WWII-style jack boots, and West and East Germany continued to use these and variations for decades after the war.
* Boots worn by Han Solo and Imperial Officer were German WWII-era officer boots.
* Belt strap buckle use by X-wing/Snowspeeder pilots is used by the British military to this day.
* The "blood stripes" on Han Solos pants were US Overseas Service Bars from a roll. They were otherwise cut in shorter pieces:, one stripe equals six months of service overseas.
* The Rebel commandos on Endor in ROTJ wore lots of Army surplus: Swedish snow-jacket painted in camo, BDU pants painted camo, Vietnam-era US belt pouches, green canvas belt, canvas boots (not Israeli military but an older US type). The soft parts of the helmet were mostly a US flying helmet AN-H-15.
* Several pilots seen (mostly in the background) in ROTJ wore various soft flying helmets from the 1930s-50s.
* The Biker Scouts supposedly wore the same boots as the Rebel Commandos wore but covered.

There were several extras at Medal Ceremony in ANH that wore only British and US miilitary gear, but those garments were probably rented.

There is also military gear that people have thought were used, but which were actually copied in other materials:
* The X-wing/Snowspeeder pilot and TIE Fighter pilot helmets were cast from modified moulds of a APH-6 flying helmet, size large. Vacuuformed ABS.
* The Navy Talker helmet was copied in vacuuformed ABS, for use as Rebel Fleet Trooper helmets, Imperial Gunner helmets and Imperial Navy Trooper helmets with different parts on top.
* The pattern of British soft flying helmets were copied in simple off-white cotton twill and worn under Snowspeeder pilots' hard helmets.

Last edited:
M19, M32, M38 Telescopes were used on E-11'a and DL-44 blasters.
I'm trying to see if Luke's ESB belt (and pouches) was also surplus military.

At least the rectangular pouches on the ANH and ESB belt were standard Swiss gear

Markus

I have found and sold on a few Swedish leather ammo belts of a type that were worn by prequel-era Tuskens. I don't know the actual designation though.
Other military leather ammo belts were worn in the original trilogy. There were also ammo pouches worn by sandtroopers.

The straps on X-wing pilot chest boxes are Nato #7 green 1" wide cotton webbing.

I have found and sold on a few Swedish leather ammo belts of a type that were worn by prequel-era Tuskens. I don't know the actual designation though.
Other military leather ammo belts were worn in the original trilogy. There were also ammo pouches worn by sandtroopers.

The straps on X-wing pilot chest boxes are Nato #7 green 1" wide cotton webbing.

MP40 ammo pouches, different setups, leather and fabric versions on the ST.
The Tusken and Jawa banboliers and pouches were all british, swedish, german gear....

the list goes on and on...

Markus

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back