Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (SUIT IS SEWN) 1 week challenge

well , the title pretty much explains it all. thanks to the amazing Taylormacmanus, i can now start this...my first, costume project. the only thing is that halloween is only one week away, so let's see if i can complete this within that time. i just came across a printer here in los angeles who will get this printed to me in 2 days or less, so that's the first step. i'll be posting pictures as this develops. wish me luck guys!

Last edited:
Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume 1 week challenge

cant wait to see what youve done or going to do. im doing my research now on it for my 12 year old. so good luck and hope to see more.

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume 1 week challenge

well i'm working on a quick muscle suit as we speak and i have to rearrange some pieces to slightly in the pattern to fit their machine, but will do that and it will go to print tomorrow, finished by wednesday, then probably getting sewn on wednesday or thursday. found a really decent way to make a muscle suit...pix coming soon.

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (MUSCLE SUIT UPDATE PIX) 1 week challen

ok soooo, my project got pushed back by a day when the bar i work at called me in to cover someone yesterday ,so i dropped off my file to be printed earlier today and they said it will be done tomorrow morning or this afternoon which is awesome. so i figured since all that's getting taken care of i should throw together this mucle suit. i'm a decently in shape guy, i'm just on the thin side, which is fine, but i want to look a bit beefier so i put my resources together and created a makeshift body suit.

the suit consists of these lil puppies. 'active shaping technology' pads from andrew christian. 10 bucks for a set of 2. but it ended up being 5 bucks since i know someone who works there.
IMAG1092.jpg

i purchased an 11 dollar compression shirt (on clearance from 17 bucks) from target and stuffed some of the pads inside to play around with. oddly enough...it was EXACTLY the look i was going for. it enhanced my chest , biceps, triceps and calves. i think i'm gonna stick with the thermals i have as bottoms since they seemed to work just fine. what do you guys think?

arm before and after (this is with a thermal, it's now replaced by a compression shirt)
IMAG1083-1.jpg

IMAG1084.jpg

calve before and after

IMAG1090.jpg

IMAG1091.jpg

full torso

IMAG1097.jpg

IMAG1096.jpg

so far so good. i also purchased some green foam from joanns that i was going to use for the chest, but now i think i'm just going to use it to beef up my thighs a bit, since the pads did the trick for my chest. so far i'm more than pleased with this. so muscle suit was around 35-40 bucks total. not bad if you ask me. especially given my short timeframe :)

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (MUSCLE SUIT UPDATE PIX) 1 week challen

Nice job for that muscle suit, it looks really good!

Get some memory foam available at Walmart for $6 fo a 15" square piece, it has the perfect density for making foam muscles.

GFollano

Nice job for that muscle suit, it looks really good!

thanks taylor!!! i can't wait to see how the final product looks when everything comes together.
Get some memory foam available at Walmart for $6 fo a 15" square piece, it has the perfect density for making foam muscles.

GFollano

hmmmm i didn't know you could buy it as a stand alone item.....i'll have to pop in there tomorrow and check that out, maybe i'll use that for the thighs. thanks gf!

also, any ideas for zipper placements? the one seamstress that was up on this task of making this suit now can't do it...sooo...it looks like i'll be tackling this myself. which isn't half bad because it seems decently straight forward, and i was forced to buy a certain yardage from the printer, so i'll most likely have two suits printed instead of the one. feel free to shoot out ideas guys. thanks

People usually do it from the armpit, down the side and under the belt (which the Miles suit doesn't have) up to the other armpit. But the easiest way would be just straight up the middle of the back, i might be resorting to doing that for my Spidey costume haha.

People usually do it from the armpit, down the side and under the belt (which the Miles suit doesn't have) up to the other armpit. But the easiest way would be just straight up the middle of the back, i might be resorting to doing that for my Spidey costume haha.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I knew about the armpit/ back combo but with the absence of the belt I figured it would break up the continuity. So I guess a straight zipper would be best, especially if I'm doing it myself, it'll just be easier to navigate. Also, does anyone know if a regular sewing machine Will suffice for this?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I knew about the armpit/ back combo but with the absence of the belt I figured it would break up the continuity. So I guess a straight zipper would be best, especially if I'm doing it myself, it'll just be easier to navigate. Also, does anyone know if a regular sewing machine Will suffice for this?

I've got a symbiote Spidey suit which has the zipper placed from the armpit around the belt line and up the other side and it doesn't look to bad at all. Great work on the muscle suit by the way! Would love to see it underneath a regular Spidey suit as well as the miles morales version.

I've got a symbiote Spidey suit which has the zipper placed from the armpit around the belt line and up the other side and it doesn't look to bad at all. Great work on the muscle suit by the way! Would love to see it underneath a regular Spidey suit as well as the miles morales version.

Thanks! I would love to have the zipper there but if I'm gonna be sewing this myself then down the back it is lol. Yeah I'm happy with the muscle suit. There was nothing on here that didn't cost 700 bucks or that didn't look like a body builder in its finished state. So I figured I'd throw something cheap and effective out there for someone who wants a more natural look vs. An overly big appearance

so there was a problem with the file when i rearranged the pieces to fit their printer..so i had to resubmit the fixed file this morning....aaaaand ...I JUST GOT THE CALL 2.5 HOURS LATER THAT IT'S DONE! this place is awesome! going to pick it up now. pictures shortly.

thanks taylor!!! i can't wait to see how the final product looks when everything comes together.

hmmmm i didn't know you could buy it as a stand alone item.....i'll have to pop in there tomorrow and check that out, maybe i'll use that for the thighs. thanks gf!

Yes and when placed under a compression suit you can hardly tell even at 1" thick, it's best to bevel the edges or sew the edges of the foam so it's thinner around the extremeties so it will blend in and avoid seeing the definition lines, Regular foam doesn't give the same results it;s too dense, memorie foam is very very soft and comforms way better.

GFollano

aaaand the pattern is printed. for some odd reason....we can't figure it out...the shading and bricking didn't show up on the fabric, which isn't a big deal to me, so meh, whatever. but yeah, 3 hour turnaround, i'm happy. so now i'm off to my friend's cousin who says she can sew this thing up for me, wish me luck...pix to come as more gets completed.

IMAG1100.jpg

also....does anyone know what i can use to make the whites of the eyes? most people go for silver on here, but i need them to be white. any ideas are appreciated , thanks a lot guys!

The bricks and the shading didn't show up? That's weird! Other than that, the print looks good! I can't wait to see it all sewn. For the eyes, I used a grease splatter screen and spray painted it white, it worked pretty good!

Silly question but are those the crotch or butt pads? I googled it and there are couple options. Don't wanna get wrong ones as they do great job on the bicep area.

for some odd reason....we can't figure it out...the shading and bricking didn't show up on the fabric

If your printer works in CMYK it could just be the difference in the Blacks. Even if all the blacks look different in RGB, if the black levels are the same once converted to CMYK, that will flatten it.

It could also be that the printer doesn't have much range in the darker shades. So, if there wasn't enough contrast between the high and low tones, it might just appear to be flat.

...ORRRRR maybe your printer left off those layers. (If he had access to the PSDs)

Anyhoo, looking great, man! Can't wait to see this puppy all sewn up.

-Nick

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back