Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (SUIT IS SEWN) 1 week challenge

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by richyrich818, Oct 24, 2011.

1. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

well , the title pretty much explains it all. thanks to the amazing Taylormacmanus, i can now start this...my first, costume project. the only thing is that halloween is only one week away, so let's see if i can complete this within that time. i just came across a printer here in los angeles who will get this printed to me in 2 days or less, so that's the first step. i'll be posting pictures as this develops. wish me luck guys!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. TaylorMcManus

TaylorMcManus Well-Known Member

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume 1 week challenge

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

3. ugameenough

ugameenough Active Member

cant wait to see what youve done or going to do. im doing my research now on it for my 12 year old. so good luck and hope to see more.

4. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

well i'm working on a quick muscle suit as we speak and i have to rearrange some pieces to slightly in the pattern to fit their machine, but will do that and it will go to print tomorrow, finished by wednesday, then probably getting sewn on wednesday or thursday. found a really decent way to make a muscle suit...pix coming soon.

5. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (MUSCLE SUIT UPDATE PIX) 1 week challen

ok soooo, my project got pushed back by a day when the bar i work at called me in to cover someone yesterday ,so i dropped off my file to be printed earlier today and they said it will be done tomorrow morning or this afternoon which is awesome. so i figured since all that's getting taken care of i should throw together this mucle suit. i'm a decently in shape guy, i'm just on the thin side, which is fine, but i want to look a bit beefier so i put my resources together and created a makeshift body suit.

the suit consists of these lil puppies. 'active shaping technology' pads from andrew christian. 10 bucks for a set of 2. but it ended up being 5 bucks since i know someone who works there.
    [​IMG]

i purchased an 11 dollar compression shirt (on clearance from 17 bucks) from target and stuffed some of the pads inside to play around with. oddly enough...it was EXACTLY the look i was going for. it enhanced my chest , biceps, triceps and calves. i think i'm gonna stick with the thermals i have as bottoms since they seemed to work just fine. what do you guys think?

arm before and after (this is with a thermal, it's now replaced by a compression shirt)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

calve before and after

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

full torso

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so far so good. i also purchased some green foam from joanns that i was going to use for the chest, but now i think i'm just going to use it to beef up my thighs a bit, since the pads did the trick for my chest. so far i'm more than pleased with this. so muscle suit was around 35-40 bucks total. not bad if you ask me. especially given my short timeframe :)

6. TaylorMcManus

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (MUSCLE SUIT UPDATE PIX) 1 week challen

Nice job for that muscle suit, it looks really good!

7. GF

GF Sr Member

Get some memory foam available at Walmart for $6 fo a 15" square piece, it has the perfect density for making foam muscles.

GFollano

8. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

thanks taylor!!! i can't wait to see how the final product looks when everything comes together.
    hmmmm i didn't know you could buy it as a stand alone item.....i'll have to pop in there tomorrow and check that out, maybe i'll use that for the thighs. thanks gf!

9. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

also, any ideas for zipper placements? the one seamstress that was up on this task of making this suit now can't do it...sooo...it looks like i'll be tackling this myself. which isn't half bad because it seems decently straight forward, and i was forced to buy a certain yardage from the printer, so i'll most likely have two suits printed instead of the one. feel free to shoot out ideas guys. thanks

10. TaylorMcManus

People usually do it from the armpit, down the side and under the belt (which the Miles suit doesn't have) up to the other armpit. But the easiest way would be just straight up the middle of the back, i might be resorting to doing that for my Spidey costume haha.

11. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I knew about the armpit/ back combo but with the absence of the belt I figured it would break up the continuity. So I guess a straight zipper would be best, especially if I'm doing it myself, it'll just be easier to navigate. Also, does anyone know if a regular sewing machine Will suffice for this?

12. Wallcrawler248

Wallcrawler248 Well-Known Member

I've got a symbiote Spidey suit which has the zipper placed from the armpit around the belt line and up the other side and it doesn't look to bad at all. Great work on the muscle suit by the way! Would love to see it underneath a regular Spidey suit as well as the miles morales version.

13. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

Thanks! I would love to have the zipper there but if I'm gonna be sewing this myself then down the back it is lol. Yeah I'm happy with the muscle suit. There was nothing on here that didn't cost 700 bucks or that didn't look like a body builder in its finished state. So I figured I'd throw something cheap and effective out there for someone who wants a more natural look vs. An overly big appearance

14. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

so there was a problem with the file when i rearranged the pieces to fit their printer..so i had to resubmit the fixed file this morning....aaaaand ...I JUST GOT THE CALL 2.5 HOURS LATER THAT IT'S DONE! this place is awesome! going to pick it up now. pictures shortly.

15. GF

GF Sr Member

Yes and when placed under a compression suit you can hardly tell even at 1" thick, it's best to bevel the edges or sew the edges of the foam so it's thinner around the extremeties so it will blend in and avoid seeing the definition lines, Regular foam doesn't give the same results it;s too dense, memorie foam is very very soft and comforms way better.

GFollano

16. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

aaaand the pattern is printed. for some odd reason....we can't figure it out...the shading and bricking didn't show up on the fabric, which isn't a big deal to me, so meh, whatever. but yeah, 3 hour turnaround, i'm happy. so now i'm off to my friend's cousin who says she can sew this thing up for me, wish me luck...pix to come as more gets completed.

[​IMG]

17. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

also....does anyone know what i can use to make the whites of the eyes? most people go for silver on here, but i need them to be white. any ideas are appreciated , thanks a lot guys!

18. TaylorMcManus

The bricks and the shading didn't show up? That's weird! Other than that, the print looks good! I can't wait to see it all sewn. For the eyes, I used a grease splatter screen and spray painted it white, it worked pretty good!

19. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Silly question but are those the crotch or butt pads? I googled it and there are couple options. Don't wanna get wrong ones as they do great job on the bicep area.

20. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If your printer works in CMYK it could just be the difference in the Blacks. Even if all the blacks look different in RGB, if the black levels are the same once converted to CMYK, that will flatten it.

It could also be that the printer doesn't have much range in the darker shades. So, if there wasn't enough contrast between the high and low tones, it might just appear to be flat.

...ORRRRR maybe your printer left off those layers. (If he had access to the PSDs)

Anyhoo, looking great, man! Can't wait to see this puppy all sewn up.

-Nick

21. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

Lol sorry I left that out. They're the butt pads.
    Thanks Nick! I'm with the seamstress right now and we are aabout to get started ssewing this up.

22. ugameenough

OMFG! DUDE U ROCK! and you fit the part lol is there any way we can talk. i really would like a printed pattern for my lil man. pleasssseeeee lol good work cant wait to see more.

23. ugameenough

btw have you thought of raised webbing? i know your tryin to beat the clock but i think it would look hot. even if you add them after the fact.

24. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

You should do a Frozone next. ;)

25. ironmanpreston

ironmanpreston Member

Which printing company did u use? Could u pm me the name so I could send them my batman muscle pattern to be printed.
    :).

26. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

actually before taylor graced me with this pattern i was thinking of getting a zentai suit and somehow getting the red parts all done in urethane, but didn't have the resources lol. this is gonna come out sick though, i know. eeeeeven though i made a mistake and cut the fingers before the seamstress got to it :lol so now i think i'm just going to have her sew up to the wrist and then use fabric glue, or witch stitching to do the fingers since it will bunch up in a sewing machine lol
    i have no idea what that is, but i'm always up for a challenge lol

pm sent !

27. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (PATTERN GETTING SEWN!!) 1 week challen

hey guys, does anyone have any back and side pictures of their hood? we're trying to figure out how the sides and backs of the hood connect, the webbing's a little weird in that area and i can't find any reference pix. also, is there any way to make the hood removeable? it's spandex and stretches , so should i just cut in the middle of the neck and stretch the bottom of the mask down to cover, or what? i realized i'm gonna have to be showing id..and partaking in drinks this weekend lol. i'm thinking i should have added an extra mask piece, but just need some ideas. thanks in advance!

28. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (PATTERN GETTING SEWN!!) 1 week challen

Is that one of Taylor McManus's prints?

29. TheNickFox

If you can wait until around 8PM when I get home from work, I can send you a great mask reference shot.

And generally you should print a second set of mask parts for a removable mask so you can choose how much the neck overlaps. If you just cut it your neck will most likely show through.

But for a party, no one should notice. :p

-Nick

30. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

Frozone, from the incredibles. You look to have the long proportions for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

yes, yes it is. we've been in an unofficial pm collaboration with this for a minute now lol. it started when i asked if anyone had thought of making the suit, and then he started the pattern, then i basically scavenged the earth to find a back reference shot, and then he finished it, now i'm executing it. lol. this may very well be the fastest spiderman suit made.

yes!! that would be awesome, i just came across a video so i think i have it now. what i'm going to do is just see how tight the suit fits on my neck when it's completed , and if there's some bunching, then i'll cut, hem and make the mask removeable. if not, then , well, i'll just figure something out lol

32. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

i've never seen that movie, but i really like that suit! * i wish halloween came more than once a year lol

33. ugameenough

hey rich.... what about thin vertical strips of velcro that follow the webbing on the neck to hold the mask in place if you so decide to make it removable. that way its less notable and way more comfortable. lol jus sayin.

34. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

you totally took the thought out of my mind. i know you're not supposed to use velcro on spandex because of the barbed side snagging ,but meh ,it's just a fun costume, and i'm going to need to drink, so i think i'm gonna do that

35. TheNickFox

As promised...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I got these from theRPF years ago, and forget who posted them. If these are yours, please take credit!

-Nick

36. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

nick, words cannot express how amazing you are lol thanks so much! i'm going over there to guide her and get this finished tonight!

37. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

sooo the costume is still getting sewn together but should be done by tonight, (the seamstress had some sewing machine issues), soooo while that's happening i decided to make the frames. i had to hand draw these since there were no templates for this style of frame, what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

these were just done with a sheet of foam i got for $.89 at michael's. i think they came out pretty decent for my first attempt. and if the red isn't deep enough i think i'm going to paint them. we'll see. also i got some white fabric today that i'm going to use for the actual eye itself.

38. Wallcrawler248

Wallcrawler248 Well-Known Member

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (EYE FRAMES DONE) 1 week challenge

Can't wait to see this Rich, checkin this thread 5 times a day lol!

39. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

Re: Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man costume (EYE FRAMES DONE) 1 week challenge

aww thanks man. i'm really working hard on this, it's my first time ever doing anything like this, and this time constraint is making it kinda fun lol.

40. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

hey guys, another quick question. what has been the best shoe for you guys? i've heard aqua shoes, kung fu shoes, i need to figure out with is going to be the best for the look that this costume has. thanks a lot :) it's almost done.

41. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any teaser shots bro?

42. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

unfortunately no, i was there supervising my friend's aunt who's sewing this and then i got sleepy, so i went home, but all that's left now are the sleeves to be sewn to the rest of the suit, and then it's completed, i'm off to buy some watershoes from kmart right now. *googles where he hell there's a kmart at in hollywood* lol

43. BobbyS95

BobbyS95 Well-Known Member

Even though I still don't like the idea of anyone wearing the Spidey costume but Peter, I have to say this looks really good.

44. rick hunter

rick hunter New Member

Can some one help me please, How can I take the sizes in the costume please...I have the pattern but I dont know how to make it, and some one have the black spiderman pattern and how much is the cost, Thanks

45. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I usually hate the spidey costume changes that seem to come once a month now in the comics - but the Ultimates spidey suit is an exception. I loved it when I first saw it - so did my son. I can't wait to see how this baby turns out.

46. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

Hey guys. Costume nearly done. Quick question. How the hell can I hide my ears? Lol they poke out a bit. Any ideas?

47. TaylorMcManus

A swim cap might work to hide the ears!

48. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

oooh ,good thinking taylor!!! so the costume is like 90% done. i'm waiting for the fingers to set right now, (remember i cut them on accident, so i'm just using a bit of fabric glue to do those) and i have to glue the aqua shoes (10 bucks at kmart) and frames on and then it'll be finished. let me tell you, this suit is TIGHT ....nothing left to the imagination :lol , but it looked awesome when i was trying it on! i just can't wait to finish this and post the pix for you guys to see! looks like i made my week goal! :)

49. richyrich818

richyrich818 Member

by the way, by tight, i mean TIGHT. i literally have to do a back bend to get it on me without tearing the stitching lol. but it makes it look that much more amazing when it's on! i'll post some pix of the costume off once one of these hands are done drying

50. TaylorMcManus

Haha nice! How tall are you? I had the file sized to fit someone 5'10" - 6'1", so maybe my sizing was a bit off, unless you're taller than 6'1".