Microwaving

B

BlueSteel

Hey yall quick question:
I do foam builds but currently don't have a heat gun. I'm pretty much broke as it is so I was wondering if I could throw my foam pieces in the microwave to heat them up instead XD stupid, I know, but has anyone else tried this??

If you have a Harbor Freight store around you, a heat gun only cost about $12. They usually have a sale on it and they have coupons for 20% off.

Thx bro. Ya I'll probably just end up getting one. It's on my list for sure for my next project but I'm just so tired of meeting setbacks with my current build ;)

Yeah, I understand.

It's better to do things properly the first time than having to go back and correct yourself.

And I wouldn't recommend microwave. Can melt the foam. Not typical but possible. If you have a lamp that "could" work as a quick temp fix. Right around the bulb gets hot hot. But if buy a heat gun. After the sale and coupon at harbor frieght I paid 6 bucks.

Ah I gotcha :)
I was more curious not seriously considering shoving foam into my microwave XD

I had used microwave oven last week for some templates to bend.
It was important to adjust time.
But I recommend you to use a heatgun or hear dryer

I did see one tutorial where they used the heat from the stovetop, rather than the inside of the oven. You'd have to be really careful not to burn yourself doing that, though!

I'm concerned how readily accepting everyone using heat guns to heat the different kinds of foams used here, foam that was manufactured without the intention of it being heated. Who knows what kinds of fumes are being released during the heating and what you're inhaling?

I'm concerned how readily accepting everyone using heat guns to heat the different kinds of foams used here, foam that was manufactured without the intention of it being heated. Who knows what kinds of fumes are being released during the heating and what you're inhaling?

We are touched by your concern. Would you like to do some research, perhaps some controlled tests where you could measure and quantify potential hazards and return to us your findings? That would be lovely.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back