Metroid Prime 2: Echoes / Samus Light suit COMPLETED

MNCProps

Back again on an other foam armor project. 3rd one this year, I know I'm on the slow side :p

so starting up with all the reference picture I got to help me out (and might help other out). I also manage to get my hand on a 18 inch figurine pep file. It won't help a much on the build itself but more for details picture angle don't show. I'm still looking for the source for it before sharing it so be patience.
metroid-samus-light-suit-statue-by-first-4-figures-2.jpgmetroid-samus-light-suit-statue-by-first-4-figures-3.jpgmetroid-samus-light-suit-statue-by-first-4-figures-4.jpgmetroid-samus-light-suit-statue-by-first-4-figures-5.jpgmetroid-samus-light-suit-statue-by-first-4-figures-6.jpgmetroid-samus-light-suit-statue-by-first-4-figures-7.jpgmetroid-samus-light-suit-statue-by-first-4-figures-8.jpgmetroid-samus-light-suit-statue-by-first-4-figures-9.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes / Samus Light suit

Work have now begin since I have until October to complete the suit itself
Helmet is glued but still have some work to do (sanding shaping and gap filling)
DSC08238.JPG
I took a different approach from previous project in term of shoes/boots. I always I make a cover for real shoes but not this time. After my little experience with Garrus I found out that Foam is heavenly comfy for foot. So I decided to make some 100% foam shoes/boots and they are damn comfy. the soil is 1 inch tick plus an extra 1/4 inch for the details...... which I'm still wondering why I did them XD
DSC08283.JPG

Next step legs

That shoes looks fantastic... one of my dreams is to make this suit for my GF, but she give up of cosplaying ç.ç

Following this tread!

Wow, yeah those shoes look great! The helmet looks well on its way as well. I'm excited to see how this turns out!
Are you familiar with 3D modeling programs? I have the 3D model of the light suit from the actual game if you'd like it for reference.

Wow, yeah those shoes look great! The helmet looks well on its way as well. I'm excited to see how this turns out!
Are you familiar with 3D modeling programs? I have the 3D model of the light suit from the actual game if you'd like it for reference.
yes I'm used to work in 3d modeling but I haven't got any program install since 3d max 2008 XD. I would love to get my hand on that file, If you could import it as a .PDO or .OBJ I may be able to open it in pepakura to view it

in any case got a new update :p. I've finish the lower leg part. Can't say enough how happy I am to see that my partner did the trick to reduce seam to a minimum. Dishing the foam was the best way to reduce the seam to zero for the half sphere part. As for the cone shape, I've struggle a bit to make it fit because of some warping cause by the heat gun.
DSC08307.JPG

Next Step Upper leg, maybe more

Last edited:

New update I found new reference picture from different angle and saw details I couldn't see, mainly on the arms
section. Again I'll share those images for people who might need it
MF-PP0063-metroid-samus-light -suit-statue-007-800x800.jpgMF-PP0063-metroid-samus-light -suit-statue-005-800x800.jpgMF-PP0063-metroid-samus-light -suit-statue-004-800x800.jpgMF-PP0063-metroid-samus-light -suit-statue-002-800x800.jpgMF-PP0063-metroid-samus-light -suit-statue-006-800x800.jpg

which lead me to those weird half sphere that only appear on the forearm's suit. I also lay down the bicep shape and will add all the details tomorrow
DSC08323.JPG

upper leg are done and are only missing zippers
DSC08314.JPGDSC08316.JPG

all of this is leaving me with only the arm cannon, cod piece and abs before diving into the chest piece. As for the shoulder, since they are attach to the chest I'll need to wait at the very end.

for those of you who sent me message about what do I do to get clean line. I shared my secret here on that vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQXKs49CXxs

let the nightmare begin..... Green light on the chest piece, bare with me I will put my own artistic interpretation on those curve. just enough to make the chest a little bit enjoyable while building it
lower front layer including part of the abs plate done with under cut. I will replace the half sphere with plastic one but for now it make it easier to shape the rest around them.
DSC08326.JPG

collar and lower shoulder/neck piece done
DSC08336.JPGDSC08351.JPGDSC08352.JPG

for now it look weird I know but the rest will come soon this week
DSC08355.JPG

not much update for now. Life have been eating away most of my building time. but I did started on the under armor part. While shopping for supply with my father (he wanna start a suit of his own) , we've brainstorm on my undersuit tubing and finally hit the jackpot. Foam backer rod same size as I need, come in 30 ft pack, 6$
DSC08360.JPG
undersuit webbing.png

I cannot wrap my head around how you formed the groves in the shoulder piece! I don't see a seam so it must have been with undercuts but...how! I wish I could see the under side of it o.o Looks very nice!

I cannot wrap my head around how you formed the groves in the shoulder piece! I don't see a seam so it must have been with undercuts but...how!

yes it is undercut. I can't show the other side anymore since it cover with other piece but I can try to explain it. The lower part is made by scoring 2 parallel lines, next to those lines you cut a V shape and glue them. by pushing the central part the two scored line are gonna open. just fill that opening with glue and hold it until it dry.
WIN_20150904_013041.JPG

yes it is undercut. I can't show the other side anymore since it cover with other piece but I can try to explain it. The lower part is made by scoring 2 parallel lines, next to those lines you cut a V shape and glue them. by pushing the central part the two scored line are gonna open. just fill that opening with glue and hold it until it dry.
View attachment 524266
Wow thanks, that's a very nice and powerful technique. Thanks for explaining it!

experimenting is the key specially with undercut. As soon as you get the hang of it, you can do everything. That mask is probably the best example I can give you in term of undercut.
DSC08391.JPG

I've stared to paint all the parts that are finish since I'm using 2 color so I won't have any problem getting them right
DSC08404.JPG
abs, forearm and bicep armor are in the way

DSC08405.JPG
the abs are almost done just need a bit more sanding as you can see on that picture

DSC08409.JPG
biceps on the other hand just got started

that it for the progress update :p

The thigh are getting wet sanded and you can clearly see that one is smoother then the other. the right one have enough crater to make the moon jealous
DSC08421.JPG
DSC08423.JPG
DSC08424.JPG

can't think of anything better then seeing finish painted pieces
DSC08438.JPGDSC08440.JPG

DSC08445.JPGDSC08447.JPGDSC08448.JPG
starting to feel the pressure and going maybe too fast on some part for my own good. I didn't give enough time for that bicep to properly dry after wet sanding. After applying the last coat of paint... crack form on the front part. I decided to roll with it and made a blast hit on top of everything.
DSC08449.JPG

it appear I've never showed a single picture of the helmet progress let me fix that :p
there a couple of hours of wet sanding on that helmet but I can assure you it made out of foam

DSC08455.JPG
that helmet is driving me crazy..... I'm really close to start cutting corner and just make the neck seal out of fabric instead of a armor neck piece. we'll see, 7 day left before the con

The arm cannon is finish after an evening work on it
DSC08489.JPG
all of the undersuit "tubing" were glued and the suit itself got it first coat. Here a back shot where all the "tubing were the most painful to assemble and glued
DSC08510.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back