Metallic plastics?

juno

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm looking for styrene-style plastics that look like chrome -- only besides chrome I'd need blue chrome (?). I was thinking of formica, but I can't find anything like it. I've seen pictures, but they're from the 70s, and I can't even THINK of what it would be. I remember sheet mylar as a kid, but I don't even know if that's what it's called.

Any ideas? *Hopeful*

SG Merc

While not a synthetic material like styrene, I have seen some very nice aluminum which sounds like it would match your colour specifications. If a metal would do, then any craft store should stock thin gauge metal sheets (8x10" I think) that are easily formable.

I've looked at it myself, and have been impressed, but didn't have a use for it so I passed.

Again, it is a metal so wouldn't possess any properties of transparency etc.. Nice stuff though.

Trallis

well i don't know where to get any of it, but i recently went to a dinner where the plastic forks and knives all looked like chrome, but when you look close it is semi transparent plastic

brin

This might be something you can do...look for metallic placemats.
I saw some back before Christmas in different colors, and they looked very much like chrome.
I thought about getting some gold ones to work on a Wonder Woman costume.
-Brin

AnsonJames

Sr Member
I work in a college and a couple of years ago we bought some sheets of metallic Styrene for vac- forming.
It's really, really mirror-like in gold and chrome.
We could only manage very shallow forms before the metallic coating seperated from the Styrene though...

juno

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anson -- where did you get it -- I'm sure that that's what I need.

However, there are a lot of good suggestions here.

AnsonJames

Sr Member
Originally posted by juno@Jan 10 2006, 03:46 PM
Anson -- where did you get it -- I'm sure that that's what I need.

However, there are a lot of good suggestions here.
[snapback]1155214[/snapback]​
It came from a company called Central technology supplies here in Dublin however I've just looked in their 2004/2005 catalogue and it aint there no more...

I'd say it's still available though - if you can get it in Ireland it wouldn't be that hard to come by.

Anson

Edited for spelling