Plastics and the use of Vaseline as a mold release

Plokman

Hey all,
I know I know been a long time, shop work has kinda been secondary if not completely last priority for a the last few months. Since July really, my stepmother (former at this point) has driven me and my dad to serious levels of stress. In my case caused me a relapse into PTSD Panic Attacks I had almost fully gotten through, and for my dad partly responsible for him having Minor somewhat controlled seizures where he falls. Then in November he tripped and had a concussion that freaked me out.

Now she is not welcome here (though we are still on great terms with her Daughter and Aunt who think of us as family, they kicked her out too but enough airing my family grievances) and I am almost fully over the Panic Attacks (Jan. 6 nearly rebooted that progress but it has been undone) and my dad while still occasionally having spells is not in as much stressful causing circumstances and has no damage from the head blow. Just needs to find the final key to the puzzle to stop the seizures for good is all.

But now I am feeling like getting my shop going strong and also good news I made a sell on Etsy, that has rekindled my drive. Anyway enough rambling I am getting ready to start making again starting with a few Resin props based on the Zelda Pendants of Virtue and I typically have followed The Crafsman of Steady Crafting as two part mold making of using Vaseline as a mold release, but then I found a slight snag based off the materials my Prototype/Master is made from.

The top of the prototype is made of plastic (A generic permanent marker tip sculpt to be exact) and I recently learned from BigClive.Com that Vaseline degrades plastics (up till now my prop masters have been Clay, wood, or a mix of PVA, cornstarch and luck) but I am going to be recycling some plastic for shaping and we all have Polystyrene sheets at times when we make things so my big question is will I damage any of my masters made from plastic using them in my mold making if I make sure to give them a proper wash with soapy water after the mold cures or should I use another mold release that reacts less with the plastic?

Hope you are all well and hope you get your vaccines very soon, we have a real game plan to stop this viral from keeping our Cons and shows on hold. Stay safe all of you!

(Hope mentioning the Vaccines doesn't equal being political because I won't on purpose, thank you for the time. Also sorry I went off on a tangent at the start, just felt like I would explain why I have been quiet for so long.)

When it comes to casting your original art, this is the point where you least want to cut corners or go cheap. I'd recommend an industry/hobby standard mold release spray. It's not prohibitively expensive, is quick and easy to use and is made for these kind of projects.

What mold material are you using? If it's silicone, you often don't need a mold release. However if it's urethane rubber, then absolutely use a mold release. I am a fan of spray-on mold releases by companies like Smooth-on or Stoner. I've used Vaseline too, but sometimes it can ad a texture if it builds up.

What mold material are you using? If it's silicone, you often don't need a mold release. However if it's urethane rubber, then absolutely use a mold release. I am a fan of spray-on mold releases by companies like Smooth-on or Stoner. I've used Vaseline too, but sometimes it can ad a texture if it builds up.
Well I am using silicone, though this kind does need a release for two part casting. Two layers of Silicone will bond without anything between them. I may just have to add a release spray to my kit just to be safe on the plastic.

If you do use Vaseline then you'll want to hit it with a hair dryer or other source of mild heat and it'll end up as smooth as glass. Definitely spread it thin as well.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back