Sealing Metallic Powders

PlanetAlexander

I've done some cold casting recently and for what I've made, I'm hoping it can be used for cosplay. I casted with aluminum powder and buffed it pretty well with #0000 steel wool. However, there is always the concern that the powder might rub off after lots of handling.

What do you folks recommend to seal metallic powders with? Preferably non-airbrush based and available in Australia, but I'll take anything just to get an idea.
(Accidentally posted this in the replica costumes thread but it's in the right place now)

Anything that bites will likely alter the color or sheen. In reality that aluminum powder is part of the casting. What mesh was the metal powder? Off the shelf stuff sold by most material suppliers is 325 to 450 mesh. I use materials that are much finer than that with no issues.

Odds are thats 450 mesh.

Spray a sample and see what happens. You may get a different reaction from flat, satin, semi and gloss sprays. You will also need to find a sweet spot with application. Some sprays go on better in a couple thin coats where others in a couple thick coats applied one after the other. Its the learning curve. Weather and air temps come into play as well as the base casting material. It sounds all combobulated but again, the learning curve.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back