Mermaid tail?

goddessredd

First, hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, or if anyone can help me, but I figured it's worth a shot. :)

I want to make a mermaid tail. Not one of those crappy monofin-based ones covered in cloth, but a REAL mermaid tail, as much as I can do without like, a molding machine and a couple thousand dollar budget, lol. So, I have a general idea of what I want to do and how I want to do it, but I'd love input from professionals.
mermaidtail.jpg

So, here's a brief sketch of what I want to do. It sucks, I know, but my tablet doesn't want to cooperate, so I'll have to explain.

The big thing is the heels of the feet. I want to use neoprene (I figure a yard, a yard and a half should be enough based on my measurements) as the base. I figure like, a foam noodle or something could be a good filler, if I cannibalize it, for the space in between the heel and the calf, and then the bottom of the feet, lengthen it out with a core of some kind of mildly flexible piping, and attach the actual material for the blade of the tail. I figure a PVC sheet would be just thick enough and sturdy enough to not break, but flexible enough to be a good stand-in for a monofin, and less expensive. I do intend for this to be a useable mermaid tail, in that one can actually swim in it with some practice.

I have a few questions, though, aside from the obvious "am I on the right track?". Can you paint liquid latex on neoprene, will it stick or just peel off the way it does on skin? I don't want to cover the neoprene in cloth or spandex (ripples underwater), but I will if necessary. Also, could I use some kind of glue to attach the neoprene to itself to have it be seamless or should I just deal with the seam?

I'm really new to this, although a few years back I did make some rather cool looking strapless angel wings out of chicken wire, a really big screw, carboard, an elastic corset, cloth, feathers and hot glue. xD

I'd really appreciate any opinions or advice!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back