Merlin Models - IG-11 "Vengeance is Mine!" Resin Print (with Mando)

Very nice print of Mando! SLA does such a sweet job. Seems especially effective on figures.

Agreed! On big square chunky parts, it's really tough to get the prints perfect. But, the more odd-shaped and strange, the better they seem to print.

Speaking of prints, now that I have decided to go all-in on a full display I started printing this to add to my build and put into the display:

20210421_175428.jpg

20210421_191053.jpg

From some previous testing, I already know which chrome paint I will be using, Spaz Stix all the way.

However, I was not really impressed with their base coat, it seemed to stay tacky for a long time (which I 'think' may be related to the fact that is' a glossy paint).

So I am going to test 3 setups, Alcald and Spaz Stix base along with Alcald flat primer with a gloss coat and then the paint. I find that laying down a great gloss coat is a bit rough sometimes which is why I want to try out the primer/gloss combo.

20210421_190231.jpg

Also, speaking of paint, these showed up today :)

20210421_190852.jpg

I got these for an X-wing project and only when they arrived did I realize that I forgot to get Red... Oh well, I guess I have to get some more ;)

I also plan to get a full set for my PG Falcon and my 1/72 Slave 1.

Also, a word of caution in case you order these and they need to be shipped overseas. They 'spray' out due to pressure differences and the fact that they are sealed super tight and do not contain an 'inner seal'. So, when you open them, put a towel over them, including the thinner, learn from my mistakes :lol:

Finally getting back to this. I did not have a lot of blue, green, or brown paints and I really needed them for this build so I have been waiting for them to arrive.

Time to get some parts glued, filler putty applied, and a few layers of primer. I also learned my lesson last time and some of the more fragile parts I have printed a few of in case they break.

20210430_230941.jpg

20210430_230948.jpg

The clear winner is Gloss Black for the base coat. The Spaz Stix chrome has been a really good paint, but for my money, it has been a pretty terrible base coat. It stays tacky for a long time and is hard to get down with a real gloss. It may of course be my ability to put it down good and I always keep that in mind but I will move forward with the Alclad for my armor pieces.

20210501_211134.jpg

20210502_105315.jpg

For the speeder bike, I am going to try out the new Archive-X paints. I did have a bit of a mishap with this, I dropped it on my garage floor while putting the primer coat on... Seems like I am getting a lot of practice fixing things as I keep dropping stuff, nothing a bit of super glue and clear epoxy resin can't fix :)

20210501_193724.jpg

20210501_224920.jpg

Everything has been base coated, XF-79 (Linoleum Deck Brown for Mando and Alcald Stainless for IG-11).

I have not had a lot of experience painting with Brown. I ordered 4 separate brown colors thinking I would be able to use the different colors to get some tonal differences, well they all look almost exactly the same :)

Looks like I bought 4 of the same color, I will have to do some custom mixing to get any real difference.

I also have been pouring over reference images, watching the show, and looking at other people's paint jobs and I have concluded that Mando is about 100 different shades of everything... I decided to just take my best stab and go for it. His costume is deceptively complicated and it's a bit rough trying to figure out all the shades of blue, brown, grey, etc..

20210502_105332.jpg

20210502_105320.jpg

Last edited:
When you glue the head on and then realize that's going to make getting the cape on hard :lol:

Time to modify the cape...

Cape_1.PNG

Looking really good! I like your chrome solution. Good info to have for future reference.

Nice save on the cape. Getting good at splitting parts here (dropped, print volume restrictions, assembly sequence brain farts) and putting them back together. I can sypathyze to some degree. All part of your story creating the display and it's fun to follow along.

I've got that same Mandalorian I am working on now. Luckily i remembered seeing somewhere in the notes or something about not putting the head on until the cape is on
your solution actually is not too bad

I've got that same Mandalorian I am working on now. Luckily i remembered seeing somewhere in the notes or something about not putting the head on until the cape is on
your solution actually is not too bad

Nice! Yeah, its what I get for doing both speeders, another IG-11 and Mando all at the same time, too many things for me to track :)

Also the brown for the Mandalorian's clothing is a very hard color to nail down

I have been hand painting it with Vallejo Leather mixed with Black

Great printing I thought about a printer myself but thats when I become the printer, yep its called chocolate brown wit a touch of burgundy in it just experiment with these colors, Thanks for sharing super work will be watching this one,

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back