Merlin Models - IG-11 "Vengeance is Mine!" Resin Print (with Mando)

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This kit has been a lot of fun to print and build. I have really been able to dial in my resin printer thanks to some helpful members here in the forum over the last few months. This is one of my larger 'resin only' prints to date.

I am not going for any kind of accuracy, this is a build to give to one of my kiddos and I am using it as an opportunity to practice. When I get a larger printer I would like to scale this up from 1/12 to 1/6th but that is for another day.

This type of kit really shows where 3D printing shines, it's an amazing kit and has all the right details. The ability to test, re-print, scale up or down are all parts I really enjoy about this kind of build.

Here it is printed and ready to go. Other than the handlebars this bike comes out as one solid print. I could not fit the entire part on my printer so I cut off the back 1/6th or so and then just glued it back together. I must admit, it's one of my better putty jobs :)

20210408_204615.jpg

20210408_204609.jpg

I probably would have been done with the build by now but the arms keep snapping. I think I finally have a usable solution so I should wrap this up this week sometime.

Last edited:
Once I primed everything with Alclad, I painted the bike with a mixture of Tamiya Flat White and Deck Tan. I then painted the undercarriage of the bike with Nato Black followed by a bit of dry brushing.

IG is painted with Alclad Stainless Steel. I still have some work there once I get the latest round of arms primed and base coated.

I also used a few different shades of gray for the first weathering pass before I gloss coat it and really hit it with the rest of my arsenal.

20210412_132632.jpg

20210412_132642.jpg

20210412_132655.jpg

20210412_132551.jpg

20210412_132750.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding!
How do you find the alclad primer?

Cheers,
Josh

It works very well on these high detail resin prints. It does not fill in any detail and only takes a few light coats to really get good coverage. Both the Alcald and Tamiya paints go over it very well also. It's pretty much the only primer I use now if I am doing something that I can't really use a rattle can on, or even if I do use a spray can follow up with this to get the hard-to-reach areas.

It works very well on these high detail resin prints. It does not fill in any detail and only takes a few light coats to really get good coverage. Both the Alcald and Tamiya paints go over it very well also. It's pretty much the only primer I use now if I am doing something that I can't really use a rattle can on, or even if I do use a spray can follow up with this to get the hard-to-reach areas.
Good to know, thanks. Ive used a bit of Alclads metal finishes but nothing else from the range. I shall have to pick some up for as you say, those hard to reach places.
Cheers,
Josh

This is looking awesome! Great print, great splice job, great scene capture.

Thanks!

Painting all this detail work and dry brushing is taking way longer than I expected!

I have been agonizing over the color of 'the child' for a while and I wanted to use what I had on hand. I think while he does have a bit more a blue hue to him, this cockpit green from Tamiya isn't a bad match.

20210412_234846.jpg

20210412_234925.jpg

That is awesome!

Thanks!

I had a bit of a setback last night but I was able to get past it, once I also got past my frustrations... I don't know about you guys but I am into this hobby as a way to keep busy and relax and sometimes when things so south I get frustrated crazy quick. I ended up gluing him to the bike and he was sitting to one side and it did not allow me to put the foot controls on. I used super glue so I had to use some debonder to get him back off, let me tell you, that stuff eats putty, primer, and paint CRAZY fast.

Anyway, once I took a step back I just used it as an opportunity to fine-tune my repair skills I was able to get this project just about finished up. I am at the point where I am not 100% sure if I want/need to weather it anymore but I do have a few other washes I want to apply but I need to gloss coat it first. I also have a custom plaque on the way and a display case to put it in as it's pretty prone to breaking.

Seeing it in my display case now I can tell you I am a bit disappointed I already told my son I was making it for him :lol:

DSC02437.JPG

DSC02438.JPG

Since the one I built for my son turned out so good and it makes a great display in the case, I can't help but build one for me :)

I am also adding something to mine...

20210417_115749.jpg

Here we go :)

The main parts of Mando have been printed. I have a few separate copies of his armor shoulder areas so I can start doing some test painting on those to get the chrome look I want. I also don't have a lot of Blue and Brown paints so I have been looking at photos and watching some other videos on the colors that they used and I think I have a pretty good selection that will work on order.

20210418_112934.jpg

20210418_112954.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back