Merlin Models - IG-11 "Vengeance is Mine!" Resin Print (with Mando)

Great printing I thought about a printer myself but thats when I become the printer, yep its called chocolate brown wit a touch of burgundy in it just experiment with these colors, Thanks for sharing super work will be watching this one,

Nice, thanks!

I decided it was finally time to get my machined Aluminum Beskar painted up a bit and knock back the shine. I gave it a coat of primer and then black Tamiya paint. Then I just sanded down the outside with 400 grit sandpaper to get the surface detail back.

20210503_231334.jpg

20210505_225414.jpg

All the parts have been printed, just need to get them primed up for painting. Also, Mando is getting pretty close. I pretty much finished him without any reference and just kind of did whatever I thought looked good. Once everything has cured I can get his chrome on.

20210506_002033.jpg

20210506_192049.jpg

A few weeks back when I got my first shipment of Archive-X paints I was pretty excited to test them out and I thought the speeder bike would be a great first test.

If you are thinking of using this (or if you have and want to add please do) here a few tips. This is not the best paint for your first go with an airbrush, they are MUCH, MUCH less forgiving than Tamiya or the Alcald lacquers which are both my primary paints. It's not until today did I realize how nice Tamiya paint is and how easy it goes on and cleans up...

This paint is a different animal. It's very, very hard to get the correct ratio in order to spray it yet not have it come out watery. I can tell the only way this goes on is in thing coats. I am used to just laying down one maybe two coats of the Tamiya, this paint is 5 or 6 or 7 to really get it on and cover everything. It also does not bush that well, at least in my experience so far, again, many coats.

However, if you are willing to put in the time they do lay down amazingly flat and smooth like nothing I have ever used. It will take some getting used to for sure but I wanted to share my experience so far, I am sure as I test and figure them out I will get more adept at their use.

20210506_191908.jpg

I swear, it's like someone does not want me to finish this build!!! First I drop it and shatter the side, now the front part did not glue in straight and so I tried to pull it out and the entire front pulled out. I had to use a bit of debonder to get the super glue off and of course, that stuff is a crazy paint stripper! Of course, this happened right after everything was dry brushed and had the first round of weathering in place...

I will get it (another one is printing now), but I am a bit frustrated right now :mad:

I need to stop using super glue for these. Even though I have some of the 'slower' reacting superglues, it cures in literally less than a second with PLA and these Resins. I am going to swap out to E6000 everywhere I can. I tried Gorilla Glue but it did not seem to bond well to resin.

20210506_205949.jpg

Bummer about the glue issues.

If it helps with alternative options I have been using Krazy Glue gel and it seems to be more forgiving time wise than the Loctite I also used. I have maybe 6-7 seconds of adjustment with PLA joins and then hold it in place for another 15-20 to let it set. Not sure how fast it reacts with resin. The bond is maybe not quite as strong as the more liquid and faster setting super glues but it works well enough for display models.

More practice with your new paints? :unsure: Not that I think you need it. The paint job looks great.

Didn't IG-11 wreak a couple storm troopers and one of their speeders? (Ranks as a best scene ever!)
So... new addition to the background of the display?

Bummer about the glue issues.

If it helps with alternative options I have been using Krazy Glue gel and it seems to be more forgiving time wise than the Loctite I also used. I have maybe 6-7 seconds of adjustment with PLA joins and then hold it in place for another 15-20 to let it set. Not sure how fast it reacts with resin. The bond is maybe not quite as strong as the more liquid and faster setting super glues but it works well enough for display models.

More practice with your new paints? :unsure: Not that I think you need it. The paint job looks great.

Didn't IG-11 wreak a couple storm troopers and one of their speeders? (Ranks as a best scene ever!)
So... new addition to the background of the display?

Yeah, once the swearing passes I just look at it as more practice with blending and painting :)

Nice, I will pick up some of that this weekend and give it a try. This brand I have just cures so fast, I have glued myself to several models already :)

Hum... a wrecked speeder bike, now that might be something to consider, good call!

Decided to break out my new Acrylics for a bit of a weathering pass. I will still end up finishing this off with an oil paint pass which in my opinion still gives the very best organic look to a build. I also have a few other washes I will apply once everything has been gloss-coated.

20210508_163856.jpg

20210508_170135.jpg

After the mist coat to tone it down just a bit:

20210508_174216.jpg

No way Gorilla glue will work with Resin (I know, 'cause the Wife learned new swear words:devil::p) Hagoth is right: gel crazy glue is much more forgiving. Looking good, btw...eager to see it all set-up!!

No way Gorilla glue will work with Resin (I know, 'cause the Wife learned new swear words:devil::p) Hagoth is right: gel crazy glue is much more forgiving. Looking good, btw...eager to see it all set-up!!

Thanks! I could not find the Krazy glue brand yet locally (only Loctite gel so far) so I may just order some. I did snag some Gorilla glue branded CA. It says it has a 10 second working time along with a brush applicator, seems much more forgiving so far and the brush option is nice.

After many, many, many different methods and testing I finally have a chrome I like. I will knock it back a bit but for now, it's nice and shiny :)

I took some liberty with his right leg armor but I am not going for any level of extreme accuracy.

20210512_000009.jpg

Getting pretty close, the chrome has been a bit of a journey. I have been fighting/testing different methods and top coates. Almost all of them really knock the chrome back a bit too much for me. It's also hard as the main body needs to be flat coated yet the chrome needs a gloss finish.

For a pure chrome look that is super shiny, I have really liked the results I get from Rust-Oleum, the issue is that you can't touch it and it's very delicate. I like the look of Spax Stix much better but in this case, with the base coat, I gave it the finish just was not where I wanted it.

I am going to print off some larger parts of the armor in order to do some testing for future projects. The other issue I had was that it's hard to weather the chrome as nothing sticks to it :)

Anyway, Mando is pretty much done now I am just working on all the different parts and wrapping up the weathering job on IG-11.

Enjoy!

20210512_223545.jpg

And a very nice display it turned out to be! Great job on this! The ability to turn liquid resin into something this cool, in the comfort of your own home (or shop) is just amazing to me.

Looks like there is room to move everything a little forward...
...and put a smashed speeder with a storm trooper laying across it in the back left corner. :lol: Not necessary but it would be a fitting addition.

And a very nice display it turned out to be! Great job on this! The ability to turn liquid resin into something this cool, in the comfort of your own home (or shop) is just amazing to me.

Looks like there is room to move everything a little forward...
...and put a smashed speeder with a storm trooper laying across it in the back left corner. :lol: Not necessary but it would be a fitting addition.

Boom :)

20210515_231207.jpg

And I agree, it's pretty amazing to have these options and there are so many amazing 3D artists creating incredible files for sure!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back