Merlin Models AT-At build and mods

Rather than remaking the legs, wouldn't it be easier to cut the top part of the legs down just above the knee joint? Then the knees and feet would align with the MR version?
That would be possible but I expect you would have to add some internal bracing to strengthen the joint.

The Merlin Models AT-AT may not 100% but it's close enough for me.

Ever since I first saw them on screen I thought these machines were incredible and I always wanted a model that was detailed, articulated and BIG. Merlin Models has been the only one to make my dream come true and I knew when I first saw their model I just HAD to have it. And when I first saw it in person (BIG shout out to Peter Lawrence) it was even more impressive than I imagined. I found it hard to believe it could all fit in such a small box.

Suffice to say I love it and am so grateful to Ethan and Justin for filling the void with a great product.

In saying that though I have been picking up some kit parts from vintage kits that ILM used on the AT-AT and decided to take some pics of them to compare them to the AT-AT kit.

View attachment 1715804View attachment 1715805View attachment 1715806View attachment 1715807View attachment 1715808View attachment 1715809View attachment 1715810View attachment 1715811View attachment 1715812
Like the choices. Considered swapping the Harrier engines for the real thing, but the knock on effect of the Merlin facsimiles being smaller wasn't worth the re engineering. Andy Is raiding the Leopold for the accurate universal greeblie. On the chin gun is that early release 1/35th Tamiya StuG III as a replacement barrel?

Like the choices. Considered swapping the Harrier engines for the real thing, but the knock on effect of the Merlin facsimiles being smaller wasn't worth the re engineering. Andy Is raiding the Leopold for the accurate universal greeblie. On the chin gun is that early release 1/35th Tamiya StuG III as a replacement barrel?
Yes that is the Tamiya StuG III barrel. I also found that the CMK StuG III from the 90s is in fact a repop of the vintage Tamiya kit.

With the universal greeblie it can be found in the Morser Karl as well and there's about 10 per kit, perhaps more so I've got spares

So, once again my updates have become a little sparse. Ive been at it a few more days now and the assemblies are taking shape. Ive worked the detailing in perspex throughout as best i can by etching relief into the surface to emulate the grooves etc. Im now at the stage of making the smaller details from as many real kits and screw heads as i can
IMG_5493.jpeg

I did a fair bit of work on the feet, but not in shortening the "top hat" extended part. I decided that to drop those by the 4mm or so needed was going to be a lot of work making a jig for my lathe to hold the feet, then turning the tops off along the seam line, recessing the bottom half and reassembling. In reality they do look considerably taller than the Master replicas version, so the eye sees that as a large discrepancy. But the MR feet are actually a little short in height for this particular hero model, so i am willing to go a little over height on those when compared to MR. Should they become a nuisance in future they can be addressed then.
I did drill out the main support hole through the feet and fitted 6.5mm ferrules through them with a nice interference fit. They were shortened considerably to get the end caps to fit the horseshoes nicely and the whole assembly is now nice and tight yet moveable.
IMG_5585.jpeg

I also changed the brass tube diameters in the pistons to a more in keeping set with fatter look and thinner walls
IMG_5597.jpeg

I've cut off the ends of the outer guns to match the reference, butchered another 20mm flak gun and am just waiting for the chin guns donor kits to arrive.

IMG_5622.jpeg

so the main body assembly is now together. It needed some fudging on the rear end to get the parts to line up and some filler, but thats nothing unusual to me. There is a little 5mm or so difference in the overall length of the main chassis and the alignment points on the body, but as its all hidden away under the rear end im doubting it will even be noticed.

Back to the legs, it was on with the greeblies, on with the cut down button head allen screws, more sanding and primer, this time in white. Assembling once again and striking a pose to check it out. OOH its clean and bright in white !.
Im thinking it needs a fair battle battering next. :)
IMG_5699.jpeg

IMG_5702.jpeg

Next up is the base coat colour then the main weathering. Ill post some of the painting on here as i go. The main painting guide will be done on video which i'll post on here as well. Happy modelling everyone

Im just waiting on a delivery for a couple of Stug kits, then im well on the way to getting this painted. It's so nice to have a model i can just move and lock into position. It's a new feeling to me, even after all these years, i've never had a model which feels like it should, if you know what i mean. I am obviously dreaming, as i've never had the pleasure of operating a stop motion AT-AT, (im guessing less people have done that than travelled to the moon), but i presume it would be something similar to the feel of this. I am soooo tempted to cut the legs off my MR version and make a set for myself. Ill resist that temptation for as long as i can LOL. :)

Hi folks, back again.
Thanks for all the great messages, they keep me going :) .
Just a quick update on the AT-AT. Ive put a vid together showing some of the mods and how i've handled the build so far. Ive just finished the base coat and im now starting the guns and the weathering. I'll update here on those bits in the next few days. Cheers everyone.

Any chance of a project run on the perspex legs? I have a Merlin kit I haven’t started yet and I’m interested in the increased accuracy and stability. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words on here , and youtube :).
Well, i wasn't planning on selling these as a kit, but i guess if you fancied a set i can cut some out for you. There will be little details missing like the Universal greebly, and a couple of other kit parts. It is a tricky build, with quite a few real screws (some complete, others cut down) and fiddly details to work with. but that never stopped me before LOL.

I will think ahead and iron out any potential issues for the modeller from the design. If you fancy a set, i guess i can do it for you !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back