Men in Black 3- 2012 Standard Issue (CANCELED)

You've presented what in the court system is called 'hear say', nothing more. That, is about as good as 'opinion'.

Tell ya what.... scratch my last post. It is rare for me to pull this card, but you are clearly just looking for a fight. Move along and don't post in here again. I don't have any more time to waste on your ignorance.

No it isn't because that is a "guilty until proven innocent" approach.

Out of curiosity, did you preorder their pistol?

Anyone who has paid money, gotten nothing for it, and waited 11 months with no word at all, has every right to feel ripped off.

Whether or not I personally ordered anything is immaterial to the issue.

Out of curiosity, do you have a personal of financial interest in SAT?

Anyone who has paid money, gotten nothing for it, and waited 11 months with no word at all, has every right to feel ripped off.

Whether or not I personally ordered anything is immaterial to the issue.

That is what I thought. Move along.

Tell ya what.... scratch my last post. It is rare for me to pull this card, but you are clearly just looking for a fight. Move along and don't post in here again. I don't have any more time to waste on your ignorance.

Don't pull the 'staff' card Art. It's beneath you. I have every right to voice my opinions on this or any other topic on this board. I have broken no rules, other than apparently annoying you.

- - - Updated - - -

That is what I thought. Move along.

you purposely avoided this question...
Out of curiosity, do you have a personal of financial interest in SAT?

why?

Wasn't like I didn't warn him. Whovian banned for the following threat via PM.

Whovian said:
Art.. you thread ban me or take ANY action, I go straight to management.

YOUR last chance.

I have no issue with those who are upset about what has happened with this run or the lack of communication from SAT, but let's keep the speculation of them ripping everyone off to a minimum.

Yes, I have read their website. Means pretty much nothing to anyone who has already ordered ans is still waiting for even the slightest sign of communication from them. Past performance doesn't guarantee future performance. 11 months without a peep, to anyone who spent that kind of money, is completely unacceptable. Period. The words 'ripped off' are currently completely valid and justified.

I've talked to these people too and I don't feel they deserve being labeled "RIPOFFS". I've seen people getting money returned including myself. I don't think they are villains, I think they just got into a business venture they weren't prepared for. I also wouldn't give up hope because if what I heard is true these might still be finished by another company with much more experience that can handle this type of business. It may take time for refunds but I feel everyone who paid up front will be made whole eventually....you really need to chill. Name calling isn't helping you....neither is attacking Art.

I've talked to these people too and I don't feel they deserve being labeled "RIPOFFS". I've seen people getting money returned including myself. I don't think they are villains, I think they just got into a business venture they weren't prepared for. I also wouldn't give up hope because if what I heard is true these might still be finished by another company with much more experience that can handle this type of business. It may take time for refunds but I feel everyone who paid up front will be made whole eventually....you really need to chill. Name calling isn't helping you.......not in this matter.

Nailed it! :thumbsup

Agent A, you are truly one smart guy !!!!!!!!!!!
I really do not think that I will ever get one penny back from SAT !

I'm sure that you will get your money back... the question is how long will it take?

As for the "store" part of the site being closed down.. I think that's a good thing not a bad thing (assuming the project has been canceled for a while). The only thing in the "store" section was the standard issue for sale. Maybe some took it as the whole website being taken down, but that is still up and running (though it doesn't make much of a difference really). I had checked just a few days ago and the "store" section was still up and running.. and seemingly still taking orders, so it would make sense and be good that they shut that part down rather than keep it open. I suppose that, along with this thread being marked "Canceled" makes it official. So hopefully those of you still waiting for your refunds will get your money back soon. I'm sure the "non-refundable deposit" only referred to, in the event a product was actually produced.

I don't think they ever had the intention of failing, or taking people's deposits or any plot like that, but I think attributing it all to "poor communication" is a bit of an understatement... Given those facts, something more fitting would probably be along the lines of a bad business plan, bad execution, non-existent communication, or just not caring about it and putting it at the tail end of the back burner. I realize they are a large and "reputable" company on the movie prop end of things, but by their own words, "We are very new to the retail end of things but look forward to continuing onto other licensed replicas in the near future." At the end of the day, it sounds more like they were -exploring the idea- rather than having a solid business venture into it given the success and resources available of the large and reputable parent company. Which is all completely fine on their end, nothing sinister about it, but people who invested their money into it for nearly a year are rightfully upset. Whether it was $100 or $600, that is money that has been sitting in the company's assets accounts, and meanwhile the opportunity cost and inflation has taken it's toll on those who pre-ordered by the time it is refunded. Add complete lack of communication with customers to the equation, and naturally you will have justifiably upset customers. In addition, you will have fans and prospective customers that spent a lot of time saving their money for the product which never came, and will also rightfully feel let very let down due to the complete lack of communication. If you're going to reach out to the public when you want their orders, ethical business practice would suggest that you also reach out to them and let them know when it hasn't worked out. Just IMHO.

One thing I should add.....I don't think most realize what a difference there is in a prop house making several prototypes (hero props) for a big movie and the process it takes to have those same props reproduced by a couple thousand and do it cost effectively so the average collector can afford one. Just sending their screen prop to a warehouse overseas and tell them to "make this" isn't as easy as it sounds. Mass producing something doesn't mean they can use the same methods and tooling it took for the prop house to make a few for the movie they contracted to. There's also adding features like light and sound maybe the screen used hero prop didn't have. Plus once a prototype replica is made it still might need refining and the company and studio has to approve it or it goes back for changes. There's the display case that has to be designed and made..the packaging, labels, paper work and plaque and perhaps getting someone of importance to sign the limited edition of plaques if that is offered. A lot to think about over just making a few props for a movie. Give these guys some slack.

One thing I should add.....I don't think most realize what a difference there is in a prop house making several prototypes (hero props) for a big movie and the process it takes to have those same props reproduced by a couple thousand and do it cost effectively so the average collector can afford one. Just sending their screen prop to a warehouse overseas and tell them to "make this" isn't as easy as it sounds. Mass producing something doesn't mean they can use the same methods and tooling it took for the prop house to make a few for the movie they contracted to. There's also adding features like light and sound maybe the screen used hero prop didn't have. Plus once a prototype replica is made it still might need refining and the company and studio has to approve it or it goes back for changes. There's the display case that has to be designed and made..the packaging, labels, paper work and plaque and perhaps getting someone of importance to sign the limited edition of plaques if that is offered. A lot to think about over just making a few props for a movie. Give these guys some slack.

That's wonderful insight, which many on these boards might find as common sense, but I don't see how that is relevant to a consumer? Why would it merit any slack? A business is a business. Yes there is a lot to think over, but that is why businesses have "business plans", and don't just "think a lot about it before making a few props for a movie." And that, "a lot of thinking about", that goes into business plans should be done prior to opening the business and taking orders. Granted, many businesses fail, but when a business fails to ever produce its "flagship product", there was something seriously wrong.

I read all of Art's responses to Whovian with the Architect's voice. It added another level to the amusement.

Does this thread have anywhere else to go? I don't think I've ever seen a topic reach as absolute of a conclusion as this.

i find it interesting that people make remarks defending this company..

from what i've read, here is how it boils down:

1) they advertised an upcoming product with a proposed "expected" delivery date
2) they took orders for this product and accepted people's money
3) close to a year passes with next to no updates
4) they announce the product is canceled
5) rather than IMMEDIATELY and AUTOMATICALLY refunding people's money, they ask you to fill out some kind of form
6) some people appear to have received the refund, some have not

if this situation happened with any other type of vendor, i believe that most people here would describe that vendor in less than flattering terms.

that said, why are people defending this company so vehemently?

i just don't get it.

i'll have to go re-read this board's guidelines on what can and can't be said about such deplorable business transactions so as not to risk being "banned" from this board.

if this situation happened with any other type of vendor, i believe that most people here would describe that vendor in less than flattering terms.

that said, why are people defending this company so vehemently?

i just don't get it.

i'll have to go re-read this board's guidelines on what can and can't be said about such deplorable business transactions so as not to risk being "banned" from this board.

Ted, I have yet to see anyone try to paint the way this situation was handled in a positive light. I believe we are all, more or less in agreement that it could have been handled much better. With that being said, there are a handful of us that know a little more about what happened and why and if there are any statements being made that might be construed as "defense" it is because of that additional information and understanding. Sometimes there is more going on than can be posted about on a public forum and there are also a lot of additional considerations that have to be taken into account. However, none of those change the fact that this project was a disaster, but, in terms of what you can and can't say, it is fine if you want to express your dismay at the situation and the way it was handled. It is quite another to make wild speculation and make posts that will only serve to create unnecessary fear and unease. If you need an example, look at the difference between Agent A's post and Whovian's posts.

That's wonderful insight, which many on these boards might find as common sense, but I don't see how that is relevant to a consumer? Why would it merit any slack? A business is a business. Yes there is a lot to think over, but that is why businesses have "business plans", and don't just "think a lot about it before making a few props for a movie." And that, "a lot of thinking about", that goes into business plans should be done prior to opening the business and taking orders. Granted, many businesses fail, but when a business fails to ever produce its "flagship product", there was something seriously wrong.

I guess you don't get the point. No ones making excuses for SAT. I think they screwed up big time and pissed off a lot of people. Sure, there has been people on this forum who have taken money upfront and no product and got banned. I feel this is a different case. They should have never taken on this project like this without doing more research about whats involved and what they were getting into. Their total lack of experience in the replica/collectible business cost them and most likely alienated future customers. I'm sure some won't agree and say this is no different.....I feel in my gut that it is. My previous post was just what I felt was an example of the difference between a movie prop house that just works for the film industry vs a Replica Prop manufacturing/distributing company. They should have allied with an experienced company already a veteran in the business who had a good track record of getting product out in a timely manner. They thought they could take this on themselves and got overwhelmed and way over their heads. I just don't believe they deliberately planned on screwing anyone and calling them crooks and villains isn't helping....I still feel they will redeem themselves.
Word on the Hollywood grapevine is....(and I do talk to many people in the industry).....that someone else may finish this run. I just can't say its definite until someone announces it definite. So right now its just gossip and "hear-say" and I really don't like gossip because I might be wrong too.
Its ok to be angry over this....I had a deposit on this too and I can't blame anyone for being angry. To be honest I myself didn't get angry...just disappointed. The money I had coming back to me, I just used it for something else.

Now a word to SAT if you are reading this or anyone else who has taken deposits.....I have a suggestion that might cool off most of your customers heads:

Get their money returned in a timely manner or give them choices of another product if you ordered it from a vendor. Plus keep a list of ALL depositors and vendors who pre-ordered and if this replica is continued and finished then send out emails or mails to all depositors and vendors (so they could inform their customers) and give them a limited time at first chance in line for the MIB3 gun....maybe a little discount for their inconvenience? Do the right thing. Your profits might not be as much on this one replica but Karma will pay you back in the longer run with future products. Just a suggestion and I'm sure not everyone will agree with me...just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Art Andrews -- appreciate the explanation.

i obviously am not privy to anything regarding "additional information and understanding" or "more going on than can be posted about on a public forum" or "additional considerations that have to be taken into account."

what i take into account is that an item was advertised for sale, beautiful pictures shown, people paid, no product delivered, almost no communication over a year's time, and deplorable delay on refund and process by which to get the refund.

and that said, i remain dismayed.

i hope those awaiting refunds get them promptly.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back