Megacon 2015 - Orlando

NormanF

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Recently I got an alert that the MegaCon app on my phone had an update. After the update I opened it to see if they had any info. Under 'Media & Comic Book Guests' I saw Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk, and Summer Glau. I'm wondering if they are trying to put together a Firefly panel.

I'm not sure.
Any of you available to get together sometime for prop and costumers to work together or discuss techniques and possibly going to movies. I'm in Bradenton and I haven't found anyone to work with here in FL.
interested?

message sent

- - - Updated - - -

just be warned. it was a freaking zoo last year. Arrive early. Get your times for photo shoots as soon as you can. DON'T TRY TO DRIVE THERE THAT DAY UNLESS YOU START EARLY.
it was fun but a mess last year.

message sent

- - - Updated - - -

just be warned. it was a freaking zoo last year. Arrive early. Get your times for photo shoots as soon as you can. DON'T TRY TO DRIVE THERE THAT DAY UNLESS YOU START EARLY.
it was fun but a mess last year.
Last year was a mess. It took me maybe half an hour to get there and around forty five minutes to park. I never did hear why it was in the smaller building last year. Because of that all the aisles between the booths were too narrow. About the time I was losing all my patience with the crowd I saw a booth selling "real swords". I was tempted to buy one and hack my way out. As dense as the crowds were the cops would never have been able to reach me.

Wifey & I will be there Friday - I'm debuting My Enterprise CPT Archer & She'll be in a hybrid Enterprise/TOS Jumpsuit/Skirt uniform as my security from the Columbia!

Last year was a perfect storm of conventions. Get there early or get stuck in the parking lot that is International Drive. Also, I hope they have security. I did not spend three hours waiting for the Walking Dead panel, but many people who did get screwed because people walking by just raced in. I know someone who was between 60-70 in line and she did NOT get in.

I hope they fix this issues.

GF and I decided to take a quick flight into Orlando to check it out. So I've heard people were grumpy about parking, but it shouldn't be an issue for us since our hotel is walking distance away. What other issues did people face last year? My main motivation for this con is to meet certain media guests. We may just bring one easy costume if anything.

GF and I decided to take a quick flight into Orlando to check it out. So I've heard people were grumpy about parking, but it shouldn't be an issue for us since our hotel is walking distance away. What other issues did people face last year? My main motivation for this con is to meet certain media guests. We may just bring one easy costume if anything.
Besides parking the big issue last year was they got stuck in a smaller building. Because of that the aisles between booths in the sales are were smaller so it was hard to move around. Especially when self absorbed people would stop and start having a meeting with their friends.

book hotel etc and got it dirt cheap(hotel mess up and got a discount). right beside the building its in. i will let you know what outfits i will be in. part issue atm and i dont want to post my build yet for it

What other issues? Waiting three hours for a Walking Dead panel and not getting in because no security, people wandering by stormed in.

We actually did a ton of research on the buildings last year after we'd been so frustrated with the convention center by the end of Friday. I may be wrong in my recollection, but I believe we figured out that the larger building (north/south) had MUCH bigger meeting halls for panels but a smaller showroom floor. While the west building had a massive showroom floor, but very small panel rooms.

I also believe MegaCon didn't book the convention center soon enough, and the north/south building was claimed by the cheerleading convention/competitions at the time. IF I recall the research I did at the time, correctly. This may all be mixed up, lol. I believe this year they announced they'd be doing it at the north/south building, which I understand as those panel rooms are MASSIVE. Also no escalators if I remember, which made a huge difference in funneling people inside to buy tickets. If you're choosing a day to take it easy or a single day to go, I don't recommend Saturday unless there's a panel you want to see.

For reference, here was a view from the second floor of the entrance TO the escalators to go downstairs to buy tickets of MegaCon 2014. On Saturday, around noon.

DSCN4177.JPG

I remember finding measurements and square footage of how big the showroom floor was for OCCC, but here's the north/south building from MegaCon 2013.

DSCN1430.JPG

And then here is the showroom floor from MegaCon 2014. I specifically remember having more floorspace to walk through.
DSCN4201.JPG

My Dad and I will be attending. I'm going to figure out what T-shirts to wear, but I will be having my RPF badge out. My Dad and I will be going down on Friday, where after we check into the hotel, we will be making our annual trip to Acme Superstore. Saturday and Sunday, we will be there. :)

Hey guys, I will be at Megacon next weekend. This is my first con, and my first time costuming.
Can somebody give me some tips and advice?

Do I come dressed up or should I bring my costume and change in the bathroom?
Where do I park?
What should I expect?

Im pretty excited!

Hey guys,
I'll be at megacon all three days, mostly in the R2 builders booth with my R2, but I'd love to meet up and talk shop with some other RPF guys.
Maybe we could organize an RPF meet up for dinner one of the day after the con, Shoot me a PM if interested! the more the merrier.

I'll be there! I just signed up to these forums. I founded Orlando Cosplay a few months ago and I'll be there with my people walking around. I live in Orlando, but got a hotel at the Hyatt because its more convenient for me. I would love to meet fellow Cosplayers and costumers though. There's so much I have to learn about costuming still

My Dad and I will be attending, for Saturday and Sunday (though we'll be getting down by Friday, though I don't know if we'll be attending or be able to make attending that first day or not). I'll let you guys know what shirts I'll be wearing when it comes closer to time and will be sporting my RPF ID badge. If you see me and the badge, feel free to say "Hello" or say "RPF" (or if you happen to know my face, just call out "CB2001") and let me know who you are. If I'm unable to hear you due to the noise at the convention, I apologize in advance.

Hey guys, I will be at Megacon next weekend. This is my first con, and my first time costuming.
Can somebody give me some tips and advice?

Do I come dressed up or should I bring my costume and change in the bathroom?
Where do I park?
What should I expect?

Im pretty excited!

Tip of Advice 1: bring a bottle of water. It tends to get really humid in the convention center.
Q1. It depends on where your hotel is, or how far you have to walk to the convention and the costume you are wearing. Some get ready in the parking lot, others get ready at the convention center or in their hotel rooms.
Q2. Parking depends on which building the convention is being held. There's a North/South Building and a West Building as well. Each building has a parking lot, and there are buses that shuttle people to and from the convention center, as well as some parking lots that do not have shuttles. You can check out the buildings and the parking lots on this map. Be mindful that the parking lots may also change due to becoming full, so get their early and pay attention to signs that point you in the direction of the parking lots: http://megaconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/OCCC-Transportation-Map_MEGACON-2015-copy.jpg
Q3. You should expect there to be a lot of people throughout each day, that its going to be quite humid inside and to be mindful of others while walking around. But also be mindful that it's meant to be a fun experience, so try to have fun as well.

Per experience, is it better to buy your tickets in advance, or just walk up day of? I've heard stories about the will call line being hours long and the ticket window line being non-existent. I've also experienced this first hand.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back