Meet the Dragonfly class Hvy Tender: Agro

Ok, face is to big....to much of a wing thing going. the "scale" of the ship overall.....the front overpowers the back, the front reminds me of a megatron thing from transformers......nice shape overall though, just out of scale.......firefly class. I noticed an engine exhaust on the very end of the model that connects to nothing? Just an honest opinion, mine. and we all know about opinions.......

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmilingOtter @ Jan 9 2007, 10:27 PM) [snapback]1394097[/snapback]</div>
I would think that an orange hull would be a good thing in some cases. If you have an emergency in space, chances are you'd want to be as visible as possible.

Just like Galactica's "Blackbird," but in reverse.
[/b]

Egg-Zactly. In the story the neon orange paint is supposed to be for Emergancy Beacons, Flight Pattern Markers et al. - a huge over-order on a rim-world allows the neon orange Emer-Paint to be reeeeeally cheap. Thus the purechase by the Agro's ShipWright as an undercoat - his plan is to use the neon as 3 coats and then buy an expensive overcoat, but just use single coat of the 'good stuff'. Problem is - the crew of the Agro get into trouble or are recognized and have to dust-off in a BIG hurry. No time to finish the paint job...

Now, a smuggler wouldn't want to be visable - so much comedy ensues... or so my story will go. It is sorta weird combo of "Operation Petticoat" and "Warriors" come to think of it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roguemodeler @ Jan 9 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]1394144[/snapback]</div>
Ok, face is to big....to much of a wing thing going. the "scale" of the ship overall.....the front overpowers the back, the front reminds me of a megatron thing from transformers......nice shape overall though, just out of scale.......firefly class. I noticed an engine exhaust on the very end of the model that connects to nothing? Just an honest opinion, mine. and we all know about opinions.......
[/b]

No, questions and opinions are very welcome here. Thanks for both.

The front view pic makes the face real large. The length of the head is appox. 1/3 the entire length, so that does make it a tad large. I think the width and addition of wings and engines will help some.

WARNING: TECHNO-BABBLE FOLLOWS
The engine exhuast is connected to the three pylons that radiate off of the rings, ostensebly to route magnetic 'flow' directly to the final manifold/exhuast. The little dongle just fore of the exhuast -the antenna looking thing with 3 little arms around it- spins up and colasces a sphere of energy that is 'sucked' into the fore part of the exuast where the plasma is electromagnetically 'torqued' and explosivly flushes out of the exhuast.

Whew- I may just have to draw up a quicky diagram fer that.

Anyhoo, here are some more pics showing the eyepieces I am thinking of adding...

AgroES1.jpg

AgroES2.jpg

Nice.

Question though - What scale are you going for? I ask because the cockpit area looks like its set up to be a one man fighter type cockpit. If you're goinhg for that scale then its perfect. If you're going for something roughly the scale of serenity then you might wish to smoth out the area and make smaller individual windows in order to creater the illusion of scale for several prople to be sitting behind that glass. Just a suggestion - I really do like how its coming together. the added detail does break up the front so that its not so stealth fighterish ;)

Jedi Dade

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedi Dade @ Jan 12 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]1395835[/snapback]</div>
Nice.

Question though - What scale are you going for? I ask because the cockpit area looks like its set up to be a one man fighter type cockpit. If you're goinhg for that scale then its perfect. If you're going for something roughly the scale of serenity then you might wish to smoth out the area and make smaller individual windows in order to creater the illusion of scale for several prople to be sitting behind that glass. Just a suggestion - I really do like how its coming together. the added detail does break up the front so that its not so stealth fighterish ;)

Jedi Dade
[/b]

N-Scale or 1:160 and yer ab-so-lutely correct. I needed to add a deck separator. But first I had to find a clear piece to fix the lower triangle/diamond, in order to figure out my deck spacing. I found it in the form of a clear base in the shape of a star. The point will trim down nicely and add a little more dimension to the cockpit/bridge/captain's cabin window.

So, in other words, it come out to around 3 decks {from lower to upper:Cockpit, Bridge, Captain's Cabin} and I have gotten the 1/2 round stock on it to show the upper deck separation. Just need to trim-fit that clear diamond bit and maybe paint the window trim.

After that a few more adjustments... then - more pics soon.

Is it just me, or would it look cool with fold-able wings on the hull, for when it goes planet-side?

Looking great. Have been following this for a while... progress is really good. Depending on the type of ship you are making, I would definitely try to accentuate the "eyes" of the "head" with a different color - I think they are the exhaust intakes...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmilingOtter @ Jan 19 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]1400231[/snapback]</div>
I like that you've broken up the F-117 silhouette more. Those black doohickies - Cylon Raider engines?
[/b]

Got it in One. Yep an old broken classic Cylon Raider gave up it's engine cowlings so the Agro could have lateral manifolds.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Jan 20 2007, 11:33 AM)</div>
Is it just me, or would it look cool with fold-able wings on the hull, for when it goes planet-side?

Looking great. Have been following this for a while... progress is really good. Depending on the type of ship you are making, I would definitely try to accentuate the "eyes" of the "head" with a different color - I think they are the exhaust intakes...[/b]

Yep got wings, 4 of 'em w/engines. I just got them off so I can handle the model better. The pics of one wing and engine are earler in this thread.

Probably going to paint the 'eyes' with a metallic dark-ish green - dunno yet.

Now to Pics. Includes additions the cockpit window, using rod-stock {the white} to sharpen edges and define a 'grid' for either elementary sheilds or somesuch.

Still F-117-ish??? :p

Side view...
AgroNS.jpg

Looking down on the nose...
AgroN2.jpg

Looking really good. Really reminds me of our good ship Serenity, which is definately a good thing. I have to admit, though, I don't really like the look of the "eye pieces", the black exhaust things protruding from the sides of the "head". Reminds me of a Reaver ship too much.

Overall; brilliant job. Keep up the good work. I'll be following this thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kadajiroth @ Jan 23 2007, 06:51 AM) [snapback]1403038[/snapback]</div>
Looking really good. Really reminds me of our good ship Serenity, which is definately a good thing. I have to admit, though, I don't really like the look of the "eye pieces", the black exhaust things protruding from the sides of the "head". Reminds me of a Reaver ship too much.

Overall; brilliant job. Keep up the good work. I'll be following this thread.
[/b]

Thanks. I really can't wait to get all 4 wings and engines on to see the whole effect.

LOL, well the ship's name is 'Agro', which in Aussie-speak means being angry and aggressive.

Did some more work on the 'ribbing' on the face using triangle rod stock. I think it looks good, but want to do a bit more before I post any more pics.

BTW, are the pics TOO big?

When you talk about the "face"...it seems clear to me this thing is meant to look like a bird from the front. Did someone already say this?

That "stealth section" is the beak, and you can see the eyes clearly...the black "tufts" are up behind the eyes...she's an angry bird...and I woudn'a wanna run afoul o' her. :)

Are more of the ships in your 'verse gonna be thematic?

Will we learn more about your "Argo" nauts?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyxl @ Jan 24 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1403942[/snapback]</div>
When you talk about the "face"...it seems clear to me this thing is meant to look like a bird from the front. Did someone already say this?

That "stealth section" is the beak, and you can see the eyes clearly...the black "tufts" are up behind the eyes...she's an angry bird...and I woudn'a wanna run afoul o' her. :)

Are more of the ships in your 'verse gonna be thematic?

Will we learn more about your "Argo" nauts?
[/b]

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but YES. Looks sorta like an angry love-child of Gamera and Gaos birds...

Yep, some more so, others not so much. Heh, I'll see if I can find a space large enough and take a pic of ALL of my unfinished study ships.

Argo? ARgo?. There ain't no-un named Jason here-a-bouts ... It tiz AGro... :D

Agro-nauts ... heh, I DO sorta like that. And Yes again... If you folks are interested I'll post a bit about the crew.

Do you have plans to add ribbing to the rest of the ship? I'm thinking it might look a little odd to have it on one section and not another.

And pyxl - did you intentionally avoid making a pun? If it were me, I'd have commented on not wanting to run "afowl" of the ship. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmilingOtter @ Jan 24 2007, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1403989[/snapback]</div>
Do you have plans to add ribbing to the rest of the ship? I'm thinking it might look a little odd to have it on one section and not another.

And pyxl - did you intentionally avoid making a pun? If it were me, I'd have commented on not wanting to run "afowl" of the ship. ;)
[/b]

Durn it. I forgot to mention the "A-Fowl" missing pun.

Ribbing: Yep, but not a lot of it. Reason: I see the face working as a possible re-entry heat sheild. The triangle stock ribbing I see as wave-guides for electromagnetic energy to repulse and re-direct heat, micro-meteroites etc. Like a primitive sheild system.

Structural strength for re-entry is one of the reasons I made the neck sturdier than Serenity's. Actually the Agro is a third larger than Serenity, btw. I'll dig out one of my N-scale figures and put it on the ship to show scale.

As to the crew, I am lifting some of them {at least their archtypes} from Mr. Wheadon's Serenity Crew prototypes - The 'darker' crew of the Betty from "Alien Resurrection".

Agro Crew so far:
Captain - Cap'n eL or AKA Gunny. Represented by Michael Wincott {Elgyn from Alien Resurrection}
1st Officer/tech- Soloscuro, AKA So. Represented by Devon Aoki {Miho -"Sin City"} a feline based 'Thrope'.
Pilot- Korth, AKA Kor Represented by Martin Klebba {Marty-Pirates of the Caribbean"}
Gunsmith- Blaine. Represented by Ryan Reynolds {Monty-"Waiting" or Hannibal King-"Blade-Trinity"}
Shipwright-Marcus. Represented by John C. Miginley {Dr. Cox-"Scrubs"}
Electronics/Computers- Jim AKA Jimmy. Represented by Topher Grace {Eddie Brock-Spider Man 3}
CargoMaster- Dag AKA Tri-D. Represented by Joanie Laurer {Chyna Doll - WWF}
Priestess- Bekka. Represented by Rekha Sharma {Tory Foster-New BSG}

More to come and pics too.

Here is a pic of the incomplete N-Scale Transports and Cargo Haulers... not all of them 'tho - not enuff room.

There is a N-scale 56 foot rust red cargo container there in the foreground.

NScaleT.jpg

Have fun and pick away...

And yes, I am sure I have Adult ADD. :p

Looking good so far there Capn.

Few thoughts....

First, the color. I understand the use of the color in context to the overall backstory for your 'verse, but in the photos all of the details are completely washed out by the neon orange color. A grey primer or even as others have said, the part's original color would be better to start with while you're still adding pieces to the bird. You can always paint the ship with an orange at the end. Oh and i would second the notion of using an orange like safety orange rather than a neon orange...

Second the canopy/scale of the ship ratio. While the ribbing you added does add some more detailing to the exterior of the ship, following the same lines that the F-117 fuselage has done nothing to disguise the origins. This is even more evident in the canopy area. Also keeping the same canopy lines doesn't allude to the scale you've said you're shooting for.... It still looks like one big canopy, only now it's framing is more rough looking. Breaking up the profile of the forward section will help with this, as well as adding more separation between the two+ decks in the bridge section. I've done a VERY fast and rough version just to try and get across a little of what i'm talking about. You'll also notice that I greyscaled the image and it's a lot easier to see details on the nose section ....

Keep the updates coming..

Last edited:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ Feb 2 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]1410335[/snapback]</div>
what, am I a buzzkill or something? hehehe..
[/b]

LOL, no. I've been sick for a week and not really been on the comp or even working on much of anything.

Heh, more later - including a response to your comments.

But now - off to the bathroom...:eek:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Capn Rahn @ Feb 2 2007, 06:04 PM) [snapback]1410537[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ Feb 2 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]1410335[/snapback]
what, am I a buzzkill or something? hehehe..
[/b]

LOL, no. I've been sick for a week and not really been on the comp or even working on much of anything.

Heh, more later - including a response to your comments.

But now - off to the bathroom...:eek:
[/b][/quote]

Doh. No hurry there.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back