Mcquarrie: Splinter of the Mind's Eye lightsaber

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
This is a version of Luke's lightsaber as painted by Ralph McQuarrie on the cover of the first Star Wars novel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye

I made it about ten years ago. I wish I still had it. :cry

mysplintersaber2_zpsm4fhjqmi.jpg

tumblr_lf0wyoWzF21qa0q13o1_r1_500.jpg

Last edited:
VERY cool! I remember reading that when I was young (many, MANY years ago). This is the first and only replica I've seen made of that saber. What happened to it?

On a related note, I have somewhere and greatly enjoyed not only that novel, but also Dark Horse's graphic novel adaptation of it that was done several years ago... I want to say it was done in the mid to late '90s. It has excellent art, well worth picking up if you enjoy the story. But, of course, the artist drew Luke using his REAL lightsaber (i.e. "his father's lightsaber") as seen in Episodes IV and V. ;)

Always loved how McQuarrie still sticks to his originial Vader concept despite it
being painted well after the production design was established.

On a related note, I have somewhere and greatly enjoyed not only that novel, but also Dark Horse's graphic novel adaptation of it that was done several years ago... I want to say it was done in the mid to late '90s. It has excellent art, well worth picking up if you enjoy the story. But, of course, the artist drew Luke using his REAL lightsaber (i.e. "his father's lightsaber") as seen in Episodes IV and V. ;)

I wasn't gaga about the book, but the comic was fantastic. Simply some of the best art I've seen (or at least a style that appeals to me).

Well, I know what I'm making for myself! Hell, I could even do several of them real quick once my Anakin run is finished. It's just two solid pieces. Would only take a week to bang out.

I glad it seems to inspire some of you.

I made the body starting with a 2" solid rod and lathed it down a little for smoothness. Then I just milled down two sided. Very easy. The emmiter size was based on a Luke or Obi, I forget which.

I loved that book as a kid. Of course, we didn't have many expanded universe stories going on other than the comics, so we took what we could get.

This was also written as a potential lower budget sequel to A New Hope, in case it was not that big of a success. Kind of interesting to imagine this book as the sequel that never was.

Alan Dean Foster also ghost wrote the A New Hope novelization in case folks didn't know.

I loved Splinter ever since it came out. It was the first EU novel and I enjoyed the story quite a bit.
Never saw any replica props from it till now. Very cool!

I had assumed that Splinter was written as a result of the success of Star Wars in the theater. I was surprised to read in "The Making of The Empire Strikes Back" that Foster met with Lucas to discuss the details of Splinter back in 1976 and the first manuscript was done only a couple months after the premier of Star Wars.

i wish the original pic worked, I;d love to see it.

I too want a squared lightsaber. I just started thinking about it in earnest in the last week or so after seeing a camera flash with a square top. I've never seen it for sale anywhere though.

speedgun_zps58283b43.jpg

I know Ahosoka's new set of lightsabers on Rbels are Katana like and squarish-- there's a few 3d printable sets of parts on shapeways.

i wish the original pic worked, I;d love to see it.

I too want a squared lightsaber. I just started thinking about it in earnest in the last week or so after seeing a camera flash with a square top. I've never seen it for sale anywhere though.

View attachment 580018

I know Ahosoka's new set of lightsabers on Rbels are Katana like and squarish-- there's a few 3d printable sets of parts on shapeways.

There was one of those on the bay a while back but the guy wanted like $250 or something crazy for it. : /

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back