MCL34N's Amazing Spidey- 1 Year Later (New Pics Bottom of 29)

Re: MCL34N's WIP Amazing Spidey Mask- Updated- Wearing the Mask (Pic Heavy)

Loving the WIP, keep the pictures coming. This is going to be fantastic!

Are you doing that whole honeycomb pattern by hand? I'm a little lost on the tracing board you've set up. Are you using the screen as a stencil and laying fabric paint over the whole piece or hand drawing each shape?

This is an amazing build! You are very creative and the honey comb effect looks very good and accurate. Keep up the work and progress pics.

I would also interested in seeing a tutorial on how you did the honey comb pattern.

I'd be curious to know a bit more about the process you're using for the honeycomb and the webbing.

What are you actually using for each? And how are they applied? Is that just an unstretched silk screen for the honeycomb or am I thinking the entirely wrong thing? And how are you giving your webs that recessed look?!

This looks incredible!

-Nick

I keep looking at the honeycomb pattern and I am too thick to get it. Please explain in words even I can understand...because this is a totally new concept and I feel like it could be used for so many things...like my Romulan costume!!!

Are you doing that whole honeycomb pattern by hand? I'm a little lost on the tracing board you've set up. Are you using the screen as a stencil and laying fabric paint over the whole piece or hand drawing each shape?

Agreed... Your post seems to hint that you are painting the honeycomb by hand. If that is true, how long did that take you?

Hats off either way, really fantastic work!

I too would like to know your process if you wouldn't mind :)

The output is simply phenomenal!

Easily one of my favorite spidey masks because it was made completely by hand.

Seriously impressed, and hoping for more info. Great techniques, man!

Thanks everyone! I'm blown away by the positive reaction! I suppose I should answer some of your questions...

First off, yes I just applied all of the brick pattern and webbing by hand using puff paint. The light table was to trace a piece of honeycomb mesh that I got from the fabric store. It did take several hours, but I look around this forum and see all of the hard work people put into sanding and bondoing their pep, and I realized a few hours of painting on fabric isn't so bad :D

As far as the recessed look goes, that comes down to two things. First, the honeycomb pattern was laid on as thick as the webbing, giving it a very even look. Second, you'll notice in the pics of the suit we have that around all of the webbing there is about 1 mil. of bright red. I imagine they designed it this way for some sort of practicality, maybe printing silicone on top of silicone wasn't working. It serves well as an optical illusion though, making it look like the webbing is recessed inside the fabric. Hope that helps!

As far as an update, I rushed the paint job on my lenses and frames and it came out pretty crappy, so I'm casting some new ones. Really glad I made those molds! Should have some pics of the finished mask in a day or two :D

You think you will attempt the whole suit? You're off to a pretty impressive start with that mask!

Maybe! Although I would probably get the suit printed first and then lay the brick down.

Hi! This is ****ing amazing! Do you think you could post the mask templates for sewing. It would make things a lot easier. I have to make something similar and trying it ur way with foil is just difficult. Thanks a lot:)))

Oh yes--regarding your templates...BRILLIANT!!

You mean you drew all those little circles of honeycomb by hand?

You're nuts. Dedicated, but nuts. How do control the puff paint? Can you get that fine a line right from the bottle?

You mean you drew all those little circles of honeycomb by hand?

You're nuts. Dedicated, but nuts. How do control the puff paint? Can you get that fine a line right from the bottle?

:lol:lol:lol haha yes I did feel a little crazy doing this. The end result made it worth while though.

As far as the puff paint goes, I couldn't find the right color of red so I ended up mixing my own and putting it in a more detailed applicator bottle. I've had a lot of experience with Spidey masks and puff paint. Here's a pic of a symbiote mask I made around the time the 3rd movie came out-

429533_906431367299_18812244_39021616_230410044_n.jpg

I actually had the idea to do the brick pattern by hand during this project, but decided against it. Finally I decided to give it a shot for this one and it wasn't too bad!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back