McDonalds costumes?

Whooo.... Be very carful about that..

McD's protects their CR's like a lion with cubs. They are the quickest to sue, behind Coke, of any company I have ever seen. Do a search on 'Ol Mr. McDonald and look what people have to go through just to be one and you will see what I mean.

MickeyD's is touchy about anything, but if it's a comedy/parody/spoof I would think it legit. Now as for going after the people who make the costumes w/o license...

all I know is if mayor MCchesse isn't in it I will feel ripped off. :p
Seriously good luck sounds hilarious
I have made a few short comedies myself they are here on my site
My Webpage
mike

Originally posted by saber_holder@Jan 3 2006, 10:21 PM

I didn't realize McDonalds was that strict though... They wouldn't be able to do anything to it though since its a non-profit student film, right?

[snapback]1150046[/snapback]​

Not true. They can sue you and take everything even related to the project. Non-profit does not protect you from the law.

Positive. Infringement is infringement. Look it up if you donÂ’t believe me.

Example, Coke went after a frat at my college for "KA Adds Life" on t-shirts.

If it is satire you might get away with it...might. Weird Al does not pay for the rights to any of the music he does because it is considered satirical.
Technically you are profiting from using the likenesses, if it is a school project you get a grade right?
We run into this problem many times where I teach, though usually with music.

Originally posted by Brien@Jan 4 2006, 08:57 AM
If it is satire you might get away with it...might.  Weird Al does not pay for the rights to any of the music he does because it is considered satirical.
Technically you are profiting from using the likenesses, if it is a school project you get a grade right?
[snapback]1150295[/snapback]​

I think the line with satire is most corporations/people grin at it and move on. Dr. S is saying McDonald's vehemently defends what is their's and doesn't brook satire at their expense.

McDonald's is also going through a massive image re-creation right now, trying to set up a new, more health conscious image with their chicken selects and salads, I expect that the liklihood that they have licensed official costumes for their 1970's mascots is very slim. I imagine finding a Ronald McDonald knock off clown suit won't be as difficult as say a Grimmace or Hamburglar.

Good luck with your project, but know going in, that it may be very difficult to get professional costumes, you may have to create your own.

Originally posted by Brien@Jan 4 2006, 12:57 PM
If it is satire you might get away with it...might.  Weird Al does not pay for the rights to any of the music he does because it is considered satirical.
[snapback]1150295[/snapback]​

"Weird Al" does get written permission from the artists he parodies, though.

As for the costumes, I don't know of any sources out there. You may wish to call or write to McDonalds in Oak Brook, IL for their permission and to see if there are any entertainers with costumes in your area who would be willing to donate their time. Although, like Marvel, they (McD) probably keep the costumes then send them out to performers and have them sent back right after an event. Best of luck to you on your project.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/contact/contact_us.html

No Weird Al asks permision, and then gets permission for paroding the videos. He can still do them but he wants permission.
He asked Eminem permission to do teh video version of his parodie of that song...but didn't worry about the actual song itself.

That's what I was saying, he doesn't have to get permission. It's just something he does. Same would go for costumes as far as copyrights go. Satire is covered under fair use in copyright law.

Originally posted by Brien@Jan 5 2006, 12:46 PM
That's what I was saying, he doesn't have to get permission.  It's just something he does.  Same would go for costumes as far as copyrights go.  Satire is covered under fair use in copyright law.
[snapback]1151328[/snapback]​

No he absolutely does have to get permission. Other wise the song would be plachurism of the music, which is very actionable. For example, remember Vanilla Ice got sued for using the music to "Pressure?" Or Michael Jackson for sampling some band tune in the 1990's?

You will notice there are some people (prince) who he never does a tune to. Also, if you look at any of his albums, you will see due credit is given to the original writers of the songs.

This is not to say that someone simply chooses NOT to sue you, but that is very risky.

I stand corrected. Under fair use parody is covered as long as the thing itself is being parodied, not the copyrighted item being used to parody something else.

Depending on the nature of your short, you still may be covered. I would check with a lawyer or maybe ask at the Drive-thru at the Golden Arches.

The Man Show had a skit where Grimace freaked out and ate the Pillsbury Dough Boy. He was covered in blood and Colonel Sanders and Count Chocula came screaming out of the room.

Scott

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back