MC80 Liberty Questions

curiouslysophie

I’ve ordered one of the MC80 Liberty kits from Lexfrog on Etsy and I’m excited to build it! I am wondering if there is a good source of reference of the original to work from?

Also, where is the hangar located on this ship?

Thank you!

I’ve ordered one of the MC80 Liberty kits from Lexfrog on Etsy and I’m excited to build it! I am wondering if there is a good source of reference of the original to work from?

Also, where is the hangar located on this ship?

Thank you!
In terms of reference I haven't seen much. If you can get ahold of one, the chronicles books have good reference but I'm not sure if there's any on the MC80.

And I don't believe the MC80 has any visible hanger bays on the model. there are some "maintenance pits" on the bottom which I believe are lit. That's also where that one TIE fighter crashes into the ship in ROTJ if I remember correctly.

The hangar bay entrance is at the back of the wing root, or at least, it is according to Sculpting A Galaxy and my Anigrand kit. Not that I would take that last one as gospel mind you

The hangar bay entrance is at the back of the wing root, or at least, it is according to Sculpting A Galaxy and my Anigrand kit. Not that I would take that last one as gospel mind you
Hmmm I would be very surprised if they intended for a hanger to be there. The ship is relatively small in universe. Do you mean Home One by any chance?

According to theforce.net

Hangars & Docking Bays

All of the Calamarian warship designs examined in photographic detail possess internal hangars for the reception of shuttles and other support vehicles, and to fulfil the mothership role for wings of rebel starfighters.

On all three photographed designs the principal hangars are apertures on the flanks along the ship's midline. Liberty's hangars are near the bow. There are no hangars on the forward edges of the wings, although there are illuminated apertures outboard of the thrusters on the wings' trailing edges.

Hmmm I would be very surprised if they intended for a hanger to be there. The ship is relatively small in universe. Do you mean Home One by any chance?
No, not Home One
see this image:
1709076182439.png

I'm pretty sure that's an entrance to the hanger bay, but am happy to be corrected

I've never heard of that being a hangar. I don't think you'd want to fly into the wash from the engine to go in a hangar positioned there. I think it's detail as the wings were tacked on last minute (I think).

According to theforce.net
Oh yea in terms of canon, I know many ships are meant to have hangers but don't appear to. For instance the Neb-B is meant to have hanger bays but if we're gonna be honest the ship is far to small to fit any significant fighter complement.

No, not Home One
see this image:
View attachment 1794257

I'm pretty sure that's an entrance to the hanger bay, but am happy to be corrected
I would be very surprised to know that they meant that to be a hanger. Usually they make them pretty obvious as seen on the star destroyer and home one. Also it seems to just be some window detailing maybe, the colors match the little windows on the main hull. But hey if it is then it is, it really doesn't matter too much at the end of the day.

This image below is the closest thing I could find showing an MC80 with a hangar. This is from battlefront 2 and seems to be the answer from modern day star wars creatives to show where a hangar would be.
1709084684503.png

I think it's an entrance to the hangar, not the actual hangar itself. That other pic posted with the panels opened in the side is the main hangar bay. See how its location is close to the lit tube: Entrance.
I could be completely wrong though

Anyways something more on topic. This is the best reference I could find. Seems to be the filming model on display?

Thanks for the link!

As for the hangar I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet. I’m thinking up towards the bow would be a good spot for one.
I think it will be one of those things left for interpretation as there is none on the studio model.

Reminds me that I got to see a bunch of the models on display in Washington DC back in 1998. Don't have any better pics, other than this page my Mom scrapbooked for me.
1000014071.jpg

Seeing the pics from the link above, its funny how a lot of the panel lines and detail are just stencils they quickly painted over with different designs and colors. Up close you can completely tell, and probably because they were always so rushed to get it all done.
But on-screen, magic surely happens.

I wonder if they were going to light them, and never did?
Or some other reason?
This is my current computer background now.
How big would this window be on the model. (I know Home One was the MC80A, but, they're all basically about the same anyways)
Homeone.jpg

I know its just a bunch of kit drop tanks all over the surface but it really gives a great, organic feel to the design!
What a bunch of talented folks, they were (are?)!
R/ Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back