Maxim 08/15 Machine Gun WWI WIP

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by BornKilr, Feb 16, 2012.

1. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Continuing my trend of building classic gun props, I decided on a German Maxim gun from WWI and early WW2. I started this at the same time as the M76 SMG (http://www.therpf.com/f9/s-w-m76-machine-gun-scratchbuild-139054/) so when I got stuck on one, I could jump off to the other.
    This one is actually going to be part of a costume I'm working on for DragonCon. I'm working on a WWI era German vampire character inspired by the graphic novel, "Baltimore: The Plague Years" about a British soldier turned vampire hunter.
    As for the gun, it is actually a combination Maxim and Spandau, the airplane mounted version. I just thought the air-cooled shroud of the Spandau gave it a little more character. Well, so much for backstory, heres the WIP pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A few more a little further along
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And finished, basically. I'm probably going to do some weathering to it eventually.
    Still have to make the bipod and cloth ammo belt with better dummy rounds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And, as with most of my Con props, this one also doubles as a beer holder. Only holds 3,
    but better than none, I guess!
    [​IMG]

3. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

This project is right up my alley. That looks sweet!! And I like its alternate use!!! :thumbsup Now make the water cooled version and pipe ice water through it to keep the beer cold!! ;) Nice work, super clean lines with excellent craftsmanship.

4. Theww1guy

Theww1guy New Member

If you don't mind me asking, what materials did you use because this is stunning

5. made007

made007 Sr Member

Great progress, nice gun, im building an ak47

6. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Very nice work and inspiring. I'm doing a WWI Jager Pistol .32ACP at the moment.