Maul saber at Borders!

Darth Detori

I stopped by Borders on my way home from work just to see if MAYBE they had the maul saber in- AND THEY DID.

They only have the half-maul, however when you buy two they become $90 each. Otherwise they're $100 each.

These things are so effin' sweet. I can't wait until tonight so I can go out and really get a good look at this thing swinging in the dark.

It seemed they managed to slim the FX sabers down even more than they already had. Putting it butt to butt with the ROTS Anakin and ESB Vader, this is definitely evident.

Another awesome feature is that the polycarbonate tubes are actually thicker. This means there's a lot less risk in killing an LED while fighting.

I've also heard a few people complaining about there being two covertech knobs when you combine it for the full maul- I just unscrewed one of them and tried cajoling the saber loose and it's still perfectly solid.

I gotta say, they really hit a home run with this one. Could is have used a different sound board than the Vader? Sure. A bit of scorching on the battle damaged end? Of course (however I intend to replicate that as a side-project, since the battle damaged ends are just end caps). But other than that, this is an amazing piece at an incredible price.

This is THE must-have Star Wars item of the year, without any doubt.

They didn't put a Maul-specific soundboard in there? That's a huge disappointment, imho. Maul's saber has one of the most distinctive sounds. :unsure

Originally posted by JediCarl@Apr 6 2006, 09:42 PM
They didn't put a Maul-specific soundboard in there? That's a huge disappointment, imho. Maul's saber has one of the most distinctive sounds.  :unsure
[snapback]1221260[/snapback]​

i never really noticed that... i'll have to pop in my EPI dvd and check it out...

NWJEDI
dave

I guess what I wanted to know is if you buy two, is it designed to put them together to make one double sided saber?

Originally posted by Funky Jedi@Apr 6 2006, 11:36 PM
I guess what I wanted to know is if you buy two, is it designed to put them together to make one double sided saber?
[snapback]1221357[/snapback]​

Yes they connect with the provided coupler.

trust me, if I had a camera this thread would be ALL pictures

I just went outside and did some swinging- yep these things are officially sweet. They're so easy to swing given somewhat reduced weight and the unobtrusive design of the saber.

All I'm wondering is how long it's going to be before one of us designs a coupler without the holes in it for display purposes.

Keep in mind, I don't have a set in hand yet, but I think the holes in the coupler have to be there for the sound to escape. I suppose you COULD find a way to fill the holes but if you do the sound would be very muffled.

So if you buy 2 saber halves (each with the coupler, granted), aren't you going to have a saber with 2 Covertecs? Does the "whole" saber sold as one have just the one Covertec?

Obi-Bob

Originally posted by Darth Detori@Apr 6 2006, 09:04 PM
I've also heard a few people complaining about there being two covertech knobs when you combine it for the full maul- I just unscrewed one of them and tried cajoling the saber loose and it's still perfectly solid.
[snapback]1221238[/snapback]​

As I recall, when they Anakin saber became available at Borders, wasn't there a way to do a store search to see which Borders was carrying them? Their web site doesn't have any info on it...

Detori, glad to hear you made it to Indy okay. I was wondering.

Keystone has em? Wonder if the Castleton location does.

Will definately have to check that out. Too bad we're closing on a house, so the credit cards are frozen in limbo... :(

T

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back