Matsuo Galactica Season 1 blaster build

jheilman

Sr Member
I recently decided to build a replica of the DL-44 Solo blaster from ANH. That lead me to kpax and deadbolt's amazing thread where they are replicating the most accurate new parts for this blaster.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/anh-hero-dl-44-discussion-118186/

So, I purchased a Denix and began accurizing it. Then...the wait. In the interim I had definitely been energized again toward prop replica firearms. I have several that have been waiting in boxes for years. So, time to build something else while deadbolt and kpax finalize their parts run. First up for me is a Matsuo Galactica blaster from nuBSG season 1.

I'm sure this kit is familiar to many here, but just in case, a short run-down. RPF member matsuo is an incredible manufacturer of replica firearms. His castings don't look like castings. They look like real firearms. Check out his forum for more info.

Matsucorp

Matt created a beautiful kit of the miniseries blaster from nuBSG. He then modified the kit to include the added details seen in season one of the show. Matt was constantly refining as more info came to light. For a time Matt dusted his molds with aluminum powder and also mixed the powder with the resin. While this shortened mold life, the end result was a resin casting with a paper-thin layer of real aluminum that shines up like real gun metal.

Matt later created a true clambshell version of his replica, but the license for the Galactica blaster was secured and Matt ceased production sometime in 2007.

matsuoblaster01.jpg

I purchased this kit second-hand from an RPF member years ago. I was thrilled that it was one of the rare versions with the aluminum treatment. It came with a casting of a Colt 357 to use as the interior. I opted to replace that with an airsoft for the trigger movement and revolving cylinder which does show through the opening in the side. The above pic is where I left the kit about 3 years ago. I hacked up the airsoft to make it fit. Chopped the barrel and hammer, sliced off a bit forward of the trigger guard and chopped up the frame in the grip area. This is roughly what it will look like when complete.

matsuoblaster02.jpg

I started back in on this kit a couple weeks ago.

My kit was missing a couple pieces. Matt was kind enough to ship me a pair of replacement safety switches. The hardware to attach the grips also needed replacing. I cut a bolt to the proper length and ground the head down to the proper size. Next I placed a nut snug on the bolt, chucked it in my drill and spun it on a file until round and small enough to fit in the grip like an escutcheon.

matsuoblaster03.jpg

Next step was to test fit the parts. The kit is designed to be held together by screws only. But, it was also designed to use the cast 357 and not my cheapo airsoft. I had to slice off the extractor rod to attach the lower body. The screw would have gone right through it and interfered with cylinder rotation.

matsuoblaster04.jpg

I next screwed on the top piece of the body and abruptly split out a plastic piece on the airsoft. I grabbed a scrap piece of oak molding and fashioned a sturdier replacement.

matsuoblaster05.jpg

Here's the first dry fit with the five main kit pieces screwed together to the airsoft.

matsuoblaster06.jpg

The final test fit revealed a spot where I was overzealous with the dremel. The kit required removal of a lot of material inside to allow the airsoft to fit and its cylinder to spin. At this particular spot on top I went too far and it will be noticeable. So, I fashioned a piece out of aluminum sheet to make up for the missing resin. Cut, ground and sanded to shape, it's seen here with a bit of JB Weld to cover the seam.

matsuoblaster07.jpg

The airsoft I used had two large lead weights in the grip area. I sliced the largest weight in two and will add it back into the gun during final assembly for needed heft.

matsuoblaster08.jpg

My plan for the resin gun all along was to polish up the aluminum coating, then hit it with a solid coat of flat black and then polish that up with fine steel wool. But, the airsoft is simply black plastic. To replicate the look I shot the airsoft with two coats of metalic silver and a single coat of flat black. Then I hit it with steel wool to add sheen to the paint and reveal some of the silver beneath. Here's the body of the airsoft after the steel wool.

matsuoblaster09.jpg

You may notice the barrel has only overspray on it. I totally forgot the barrel would show in the openings in the kit. I hit it with more flat black and steel wool later.

The trigger shroud (that's what I'm calling it) was the last piece to work on. It did not have a hole for screw attachment. I thought about simply super-gluing it in place, but, as someone else mentioned, it's nice to be able to disassemble this kit if the airsoft requires adjustment later. So, I drilled and beveled a hole in the shroud.

matsuoblaster10.jpg

Now the fun part. I polished all the pieces with steel wool to bring out the aluminum sheen. Next they were all painted with a solid coat of flat black. After sitting overnight, the pieces were again hit with steel wool. Working slowly, the steel wool smooths the paint and reveals the metallic finish underneath.

matsuoblaster11.jpg

matsuoblaster12.jpg

The one characteristic that always impressed me about matsuo's kits is how little they look like kits and how much they look like actual firearms.

matsuoblaster13.jpg

The business end looking good.

matsuoblaster14.jpg

The screw attachment holding the explosive round launcher isn't quite right. Even though I adjusted it a couple times, when the screw is tightened, the launcher isn't exactly in the right position. So, I've opted to forget the screw and add a coating of JB Weld to the launcher.

matsuoblaster15.jpg

I know this will prevent me from disassembling the kit later, but I feel it's worth the risk to have a tighter fit here. Clamped tight, the launcher will sit overnight and hopefully be secure.

matsuoblaster16.jpg

That's all for now. Only a couple items left to complete this beauty. After this, I may move on to matsuo's season 2 blaster. Also have Masterpiece Models' TOS Trek phaser and a nice Logan's Run DS pistol. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Looks great! I have one of these in my basement waiting to be built. I'll be sure to try out your weathering technique.

Sean

Thanks guys.

Grips have been given a coat of clear satin. Once thoroughly dry, I'll bolt everything up and add the safety switches. Then I need to get some decent photos in natural light.

Finally finished!

Grips came out nice. I buffed them out a bit to give them that hand-rubbed wood look. Added the weights, installed the safety switches and we're ready to hunt toasters. Just need some explosive rounds from the small arms locker.

matsuoblaster17.jpg

matsuoblaster18.jpg

matsuoblaster19.jpg

So I remember seeing ads for the Anovos Galactica blaster a long while ago. Made from the same molds as the original clambshells? Did those sell out? Or were they not released? Anyone here have one? Post pics if you do.

Damn that's a pretty blaster. Insanely jealous of anyone who was able to snag one. :cry

I don't know what came of Anovos's blaster offering, I'm not sure if it was ever released.

Thanks. I'm just happy to finally build it. Almost afraid to display it. Because it looks so much like a real gun, I can see neighbor kids telling their parents that I have a handgun right out in the open. Suddenly our house will be quieter after school. Maybe not a bad idea. :love

Just received an email from Anovos stating their Galactica blaster was canceled.

Anyone know why? Lack of interest? Licensing changes? Manufacturing issues? The prototype looked really sweet.

Man you did an excellent job on that.

Love the weathering and what you did to the grips1

Superb!!

WOW! You nailed it. The grips, the weathering. Just looks incredible. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Matt made some explosive rounds. The ones I got fit the season 2 gun. He was considering making smaller ones to fit the season 1. Just don't know if he has them.

I've got one of Matt's later blasters, built by the master. So it was great to see this one come together.

I had to laugh about the display issues. I've got a small armory set up in an extra room. It's all sci-fi stuff but keep the windows closed all the time regardless. "Joe average" had trouble distinguishing a hunk of plastic from a real weapon, is my experience.

Ted.

I've seen Matt's S2 explosive rounds. I also have one of the S2 guns waiting to be finished. Probably next on my list.

Initially, we thought the explosive rounds were metallic and some experimented with simply putting large, polished ball bearings in the launcher to simulate a loaded round. I have to admit, I like that look more than having the rounds simply be white.

AMAZING build-up sir, you are to be commended. It looks almost exactly like one of Matsuo's promo pics!

I also have one of Matsuo's Season 1 blasters picked up during an extremely limited run in I want to say '08 or '09. I think that 10 were offered on the DL and sold if memory serves.

Anyways - it wasn't a kit, and it was built and painted by the man himself, so I cant claim credit for the paintjob. It is, however, the pride of my collection - beating out some of the props that I have finished myself.

This is because I was lucky enough to get it signed by Tahmoh Penikett last year at Dragon Con. Aside from my Model 47A - this is the last prop that will ever leave my possession should times get tough.

That's sweet. And it's a newer version of the gun from Matsuo. Slightly different grips and the bit in front of the trigger includes a piece that is on the explosive round launcher on my gun. I can only assume he found more reference material and revised.

Saw one of these finished and for sale at Wonderfest and almost bought it. The finish was not good and it would have needed to be stripped and redone. Couldn't tell if it had the aluminum finish. But it was the version that matched your pics. Maybe I should have haggled for it. Oh well.

Yeah, I drooled over Matt's pics of his finished guns on the decking, so it was an obvious choice when shooting pix of my own.

And just noticed, your grips are different too. Again, I think your version is closer to the real deal. But, I still love my older Matsuo. I doubt I'll find anything better.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back