Mass Relay Model from Mass Effect - Molding the Master

aron42486

Edit: This has now become an actual build thread

Anyone ever attempt building a model of a Mass Relay from Mass Effect?

Relay.jpg

I'm considering this, maybe as a 3D print. Any Mass Effect fans interested?

I'm thinking 12" long x 5" tall x 2" wide. It would be nice if I could make the center rings glow and spin but that will have to be something for the future.

Thoughts? :thumbsup or :thumbsdown

Last edited:
Re: Mass Relay Model - Mass Effect

It's a great idea. ME design style isn't my cup of tea but as stargatey portal things go, it's not bad. I'm certain you'd get takers. The size you have in mind would make a nice desktop model and the form is sculptural enough you could pretend it's abstract art if the truth would get you jeered at by colleagues. :p

I think I might go ahead with this in a few weeks. I really need to finish the projects I currently have on the bench before trying to add more to it. In the meantime I'll keep working on the model.

I've never hollowed a model out for 3D printing before. I tried the shell modifier in 3DS max but it doesn't work correctly. I'll keep working on it and see if I can hollow it out correctly.

As soon as I do get a good hollowed model I'll go ahead and get it printed. As soon as I get something in hand I will put pictures up.

Last edited:

I like the looks of this. I still need to get the normandy kit that's out lol. At least if you got it 3d printed it would be simple (more or less) to make a mold of it and cast it.

I've never mold and cast anything before so this would be my first attempt. Would something this size be better slush cast and foam filled or cast solid?

The thin prongs would most likely be steel wire. The rings would definitely be solid and cast separately so that you could position them as you like.

As far as the desktop model goes, it could be posed vertical just like the conduit.

Finished the model up and got it ready for shapeways. Unfortunately all the game files are NOT designed with STL in mind. There were countless polygons that I had to delete and reattach to get rid of all the open edges and faces.

Here it is
Relay%252520Finished%2525201.jpg

Relay%252520Finished%2525202.jpg

Relay%252520Finished%2525203.jpg

Relay%252520Finished%2525204.jpg

Relay%252520Finished%2525205.jpg

The model looks really smoothed, but the sharp corners are there. I just didn't take the time to set up the rendering and colors.

Uploading to shapeways now to get a price quote. The model is currently 12" L x 3" H x 1" W. I may try and increase the size and see what the price difference is for say a 18" L x 4 1/2" H x 1 1/2" W version.

Anyone have a preference of 12" vs. 18"? Smaller version will be a cheaper price when it comes time to cast this.

Re: Mass Relay Model from Mass Effect - About to 3D print

338652.v0.s17.convert.large.jpg

Shapeways has approved my hollowed 12" version. I uploaded an 18" version but it is 6 times as expensive. I'm not sure if an error caused the 18" model to not be registered as hollow or not, but I will be checking into it tonight.

It might not be be an error though. I did just scale it up by 50%, and I know that doubling a length increases area times 4 and volume time 8. I'll keep playing around with it, maybe I'll try and thin the walls some more.

I think an 18" model would be my preference as long as I can make it a reasonable price for printing. I wanted to wait until I had the 3D print in hand before I posted a JY thread but I might go ahead and make one to gauge interest as this might affect the size I go with.

Last edited:

I still need to get the normandy kit that's out lol.

So, what are you waiting for ???? Send me a PM...molds and resin are waiting !

Also, aron... send me a PM if you'd like someone to mold and cast this sucker....or...if you would like some molding tips/support.

Thanks modelnutz, I'll keep you in mind if I run into any problems. I've been researching up a storm about molding and casting but I really won't know what info I need until I actually try it. :thumbsup

booksandcorsets, spinning rings would be very cool. But I do not have the technical know-how to design a gyroscope type thing. As it is now, the model will be static only. But I think if you mounted small RE magnets on the ring posts you could get rings the freely move by hand

As a huge ME fan, this is an intriguing project. As a guy who has a house crammed with stuff, the 12" version is plenty, especially given the cost differential. That said, it's not likely that I'll be buying so my point of view isn't very helpful....but as with most things, much depends on the bottom line. Either way, an interesting project I'll be following!

Thanks
Tib

Shapeways finished and shipped the print early. I received it today. Took pictures straight out of the package for everyone. I have a quarter next to it for scale reference. I also tried many different views and lighting options to highlight details.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

The lines look really sharp
005.JPG

006.JPG

A familiar game shot...:)
007.JPG

The pegs of the lower ring have been made slightly to large. This way each person will be able to sand them down and get a nice snug fit.
012.JPG

The game model was a bit faceted. I will be filling and sanding this smooth.
013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

019.JPG

I am excited to keep working on this.

I need to make a trip down to Orlando to pick up molding and casting supplies. In the meantime I will be doing some light cleaning of this print before I make my master.

This print is mostly hollow and stronger than I was expecting. I am now throwing around the idea of trying to cast this hollow so that lights may be wired up inside it to look more like in the game
Mass_Relay_Loading_Screen.png

I cannot make the center of the rings glow(unless I suspended a self contained light source within it. Due to how thin the rings are and me having no idea how to motorize a gimbal, there is very little chance of this ever having spinning rings. Although I am open to ideas.

Re: Mass Relay Model from Mass Effect - 3D print has arrived

Looking awesome so far! I'm very tempted to pick one of your kits up... will keep an eye on this thread in the meantime!

Had a meeting near Orlando yesterday which gave me a chance to swing by my local Smooth-On dealer. Got some advice and recommendations based on this project and some hopeful future projects as well.

I got MoldStar 30 as my rubber and Smooth-Cast 65D as my urethane. I should now have all the materials I need in order to cast a master, so I just need to find a few days to put towards it.

I have done some light sanding to the shapeways model to begin smoothing out facets. However, any heavy finishing will be done on the cast master. That way if I screw up, I will still have the shapeways print and the mold of the master.

Last edited:
That looks absolutely awesome! If you can get the insides wired and lit up I think it'll be fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

Had a meeting near Orlando yesterday which gave me a chance to swing by my local Smooth-On dealer. Got some advice and recommendations based on this project and some hopeful future projects as well.

I got MoldStar 30 as my rubber and Smooth-Cast 65D as my urethane. I should now have all the materials I need in order to cast a master, so I just need to find a few days to put towards it.

I have done some light sanding to the shapeways model to begin smoothing out facets. However, any heavy finishing will be done on the cast master. That way if I screw up, I will still have the shapeways print and the mold of the master.

Not really familiar with the ship, but thats a terrific design. Lemee know when your ready to sell. if possible I would love to get a kit of it.

It has been a few weeks since I've been able to work on this, halloween had me racing to finish my ironman helmet. This has my full attention again.

I goofed up the first mold and currently redoing it. I should have an update in a week or so and will let you guys know when I have finished casts ready for a run.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back