Mass Effect gun kits WIP

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by GeneralFROSTY, Apr 17, 2012.

1. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am currently working on a set of replica guns from the video game "Mass Effect 2" for a client.
    I have come to call these the "Mass Defect" guns because of the slopiness of the castings - a lot of work is going to be needed to repair all the holes, bubbles and gunked up resin and correct mishaped seams.

As not to overwhelm myself - the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, so I will be starting on the M3 Predator Pistol first and save the M9 Tempest Submachine Gun for my next round.

Here are some photos of the raw kit I will be working with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zanderwitaz

zanderwitaz Well-Known Member

jesus. I hope that was a trial pull that you got for free/near free.

3. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Holy Moly - good luck !

4. joeyiswhammo

joeyiswhammo New Member

would it be possible to sell the kit for someone to work on? if so i would be very interested in what looks like the m8 avenger rifle mold you have there, thanks.

5. GeneralFROSTY

Im doing these for a client they are not for sale.

6. darkchylde80

darkchylde80 Well-Known Member

Yikes that looks awful! But I am pleased its you doing these, they will both look awesome! Can't wait to see your progress :)

No, unfortunately these were paid for! But hey they are in the right hands now.

7. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

It's unfortunate that the kits require so much work. I wonder how the master was made? Judging by the lettering on the sides it looks like it may have been machined.

8. cosmic_x

cosmic_x Well-Known Member

I fel you man, i was also very dissapointed with that when I received, i thought it was my bad luck getting such sloppy casting.
    Dont want to spoil the fun, but be carefull with sanding, my copy has numerous airbubbles below the surface, it looks like a sponge undeneath.

Unfortunately my casting looks exactly like this, so its not a trial pull! As a matter of fact you can still purchase them in the JY.

9. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Practically solid resin. Plenty of material to work with anyway.

10. darkchylde80

I sent both the M3 and M9 tempest to GF so didn't actually see them, seeing these pics makes me realise how poor they really are! Though some were posting to say that the cast was great and clean, so I have no idea what went wrong. Bad last pulls from a dying mould maybe?

11. cosmic_x

Dont know mate, i bought mine last November, its exactly like this :(

12. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Most of the guns I've gotten out of the JY look like that sadly. Hopefully it's not as bad to fix as it looks.

13. zanderwitaz

yikes. Yes, I'm concerned because I ordered one a few days ago....

if its this bad, I'll probably just use it as reference and scratch build my own.

14. GeneralFROSTY

Yes, I've already discovered hidden air pockets in this thing - they are everywhere! I would venture to guess the person casting these may be working with a shot mold and is not taking the extra time to ensure a quality casting. In any case - this is getting a TON of TLC to get it ready for primer.

Fortunately, the resin is easy to cut through so it just a matter of taking the time with my Dremel cutting tools, files, sanding sticks and some hand sanding to get this as close to "up to snuff" as possible.
    Unfortunately, there are SO many defects with this kit, getting it to be virtually perfect is not going to happen - at least not without a better casting.

15. cosmic_x

I hope your thread will encourage me to continue with mine. I was so disapointed when I saw my gun but not intimidated. Though after i started working on this i lost the interest.
    Such a shame the design looks to be spot on.

Is the Tempest like this, or better?

16. GeneralFROSTY

The Tempest is pretty bad too. I havent taken pics of that one yet - I want to focus only on this as having both of them in front of me would overwhelm me visually.

All I can suggest at this point is to have a really good set of files to cut down a lot of those defects and have some bondo handy - you're going to need it!
    It's really an excecise in patience and working carefully. It won't come out perfect thanks to the massive defects in the casting, but you can work it so it will look presentable.

17. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Looks like the castings have glass spheres added to the resin to save on costs. I worked with this method a few years back, but gave it up, cause all the casting were very brittle and if handled, would break...

The draw back to the spheres is that there are a lot of air holes in the casting, cause the resin doesn't flow as well if its just liquid...

Going to be some work... Good Luck...

-Skyler101

18. GeneralFROSTY

Fortunately, the castings don't feel brittle, just poorly cast. The pictures speak for themselves. I'm no mirracle worker, but I will give these an honest effort to clean up for my client.
    Thank you all for the encouraging words - I need it!

19. Kommissar

Kommissar Well-Known Member

if you buy a raw cast, you should kind of expect this to be honest..
    if i buy a raw cast i estimate 1-2 hours to get everything ship shape,
    fill some bubbles, trim seams, and the like.
    a raw cast is a raw cast, its just a kit that you fix up imo.

i've bought kits off the junkyard, ebay, and legitimate storefront sites too, and i've gotten far worse casts to look spotless with a little work,

a few airbubbles and some seams to deal with are nothing when it comes to a kit,
    at least when i've had ones that are so over pulled and warped that a gun barrel is clearly slanting to one side.

seems like a very decent price for the fact its hollowed out for electronics, and retaining a lot of it's detail.
    some bondo or apoxie sculpt and it'll look picture perfect i'm sure.

20. zanderwitaz

Kommissar, I respect your work greatly. Ever since you got in contact with me on cosplay. com. But I dont think this is the norm of resin kits in the junkard. Still , with all of the bondo, sculpt, etc in the world wont fix the wonky barrel insert in the first picture, for example...I just hope the kits I provide dont end up like this.

21. cosmic_x

With all due respect, are you serious?

What you saying makes sense normally, but in this case this is way beyond normal. Obviously you didnt pay attention to the pics, or you havent seen this in person.

@zander, i hope you have better luck, let us know when you get yours

22. Strickler

Strickler Well-Known Member

Regardless of the quality of the casts I'm positive GF's work will make them turn out second to none.

23. cosmic_x

yes Im also sure about this and probably we should stop talking about the castings, 'nough said.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  24. GeneralFROSTY

It's Ok really. I got a message from my client asking if I could really pull this off and it honestly is just going to take a little more time in the trim and sand stage than most kits require.
    Seams and some bubbles are expected with garage kits, but this one has some serious problems which appear to stem from an overpulled mold and yes, that wonky barrel cannot be fixed but I've already made some good progress on cleaning this one up and will have some pictures to share come Monday evening.
    Everyones words of encouragement and support will really make the difference here so I really appreciate everyone who has chimed in.

25. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I think we've all had kits with some of these issues. I got one now that i've cut up to totally remake because of the air pockets. Just keep up the good work and i can't wait to see how they turn out.

26. GeneralFROSTY

I've been working on several projects at once as of late.
    Today, I devoted some more time to working with this.
    I got most of the gunky resin trimmed down and now have to tend with all that sponge-like holes all over the kit - the main concentration of this problem seams to be in the back of the gun.
    Below you will see some pics that show how I was able to re-shape the gun tips and also see the putty this thing needs.
    I started with a basic putty, sand and primer (primer to reveal where I was at) and then I did a re-putty.
    I will continue this process until I am confident I have gotten things as good as they can get before I start the actual paint process.
    I know it still looks very rough - bear with me while I continue work on this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. darkchylde80

Already I can see improvements, great job :)

28. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks tons better already, the casts looks pretty horrendous. Your doing these justice!

29. GeneralFROSTY

Thank you for the kind words.
    This is a work in progress and there is still a lot to do on this before I can start thinking about paint.
    I haven't even LOOKED at the submachine gun kit in a while. That's a good thing, I just don't want to overwhelm myself visually with all the defects that have to be corrected.

30. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Definately looking much better already

31. GeneralFROSTY

Worked on this a little more tonght but no exciting pics to share yet.
    Sanded down all those parts that were puttied, cleaned and put down a light primer coat only to discover It STILL needs more putty! I'm switching from the bondo to the Avery brand modeling putty to fill some of the bigger holes, then a total re-sand to smooth out as much as I can.
    At some point, I'm going to have to say enough is enough and start the painting process on this. A nice paint job will make this look really good despite the MASS DEFECTS...get it...Mass DEffects...haha....ok, I'm just tired...

32. zanderwitaz

Frosty, for the flat areas, Just cover it with thin styrene :)

GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  33. GeneralFROSTY

I thought about that actually, and I do have some styrene sheets in stock at the shop but I think I can do this within the price range I quoted my client without having to use some of my styrene. I've made some really good progress on cleaning this up. I think a really good paint job will make all the difference once I work out the kinks.

34. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man, it's a shame that these require so much work, but you're making some great progress on them.

I'm sure by the time you ship 'em out to your client they'll look amazing.

-Nick

35. GeneralFROSTY

Thank you for your support. I've actually grown to appreciate the challenge, although I still don't agree with how poorly these were casted.
    I'm working on some paint samples right now that are looking promising.

36. cosmic_x

Did you receive yours Zander?

@GF,

you are doing just fine mate, the barrels looks really round, how did you manage to clean them so nicely? I think I will have to cut mine and add some PVC tubes

37. zanderwitaz

I got mine today yeah. Its a little worse than the one in the pictures. It would be faster for me to scratch build one than to clean this up to spec. Not sure what im going to do with it :(

38. GeneralFROSTY

I carefully shaped the barrels using a cutting tool on my Dremmel, then did more shaping with sandpaper by hand.

39. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Oh wow, those are some nasty casts! Great job so far man!

40. NexusFX

lets see some paint yo!!

41. GeneralFROSTY

Coming soon, stay tuned!

42. thorssoli

thorssoli Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't understand why everyone's so bent out of shape over the flashing from the mold seams. They're mostly in areas that are heavily textured, so if you do even the slightest bit of work cleaning them up and spray on a coat of Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating (which is what I used on the prototype) you'll match the texture and never see any of the bubbles you're filling. Rustoleum has a similar product, but I forget what it's called off the top of my head.

The only area that needs any real fixing work is the back end above the grip. Since it's just flat, that should be pretty easy to fill and sand smooth. If you've spent more than two hours on prep work, you're overdoing it.

43. TK1625

TK1625 Well-Known Member

Agreed. :)

44. GeneralFROSTY

:rolleyes
    Started paint work. Got things masked off for silver but didn't get any further today as I'm juggling multiple projects at once right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

45. darkchylde80

:thumbsup Loving the progress!

46. NexusFX

lookin good frost!

47. zanderwitaz

Nice! keep going!

48. GeneralFROSTY

I should hopefully have this one done this coming week and can start work on the big gun. Thank you for the support!
    I also want to state that this thread was in no way intended to bash anyones work - it is meant to chronicle my build and paint.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  49. GeneralFROSTY

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/jimmy2step/201205
    06_174508.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

50. cosmic_x

looking good, specially the subtle weathering is very nice.

What have you done with the letters, I mean, you masked them and then cut them out based on how they are *raised* on the surface?