Mass Effect Cerberus Trooper foam armor *WIP* Now with PAINT!

Beer_Money_Props

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Annnnnd DONE!

avajezad.jpg

Update!

Painting is nearly complete and strapping/final weathering is happening!

gady3u3e.jpg

Still have boots to finish, but I can finally see the finish line!

Thanks to Darhood for uploading these for anyone interested in building your own Trooper armor out of foam.
Files can be found here cerberus trooper armor foam files - Download - 4shared - Elvis Dunkly

Or on this awesome Mass Effect thread here
Mass Effect Pepakura File Archive. (Check For Regular Updates) - Page 5

***Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming****

Seems like everyone has a Shepard armor, and since I've never been one to follow the crowd, I decided to try my hand at something I've only seen started once on here before (and to my knowledge, hasn't been finished...Please correct me if I'm wrong).

The Cerberus Trooper.

9466243589_3e1af8e05b_c.jpg

This is my very first time working with 3D modeling manipulation, Pepakura, foam building (other than the occasional craft doo-dad), and clay sculpting. I've always had a knack for picking up things easily, and my head already disassembles everything into smaller workable parts even when it probably shouldn't. I'm taking on quite a bit, but I'm completely up to the challenge and the more I do, the more I want to do.

I'll be churning out the armor in standard foam (floor mats and foamies of various sizes), using hot glue and CA, depending on what's being bonded and how much flexibility I need in the part being glued. Here's my "work-bench" and some supplies...

9469025748_76efe484cc_c.jpg

I decided to try my hand at fabrication just from visual context using a game extrapolated multidimentional view of the Trooper. I decided to start on the forearm bracers since they looked like there was multiple bends, curves, and joints to practice on, and it would only end up wasting a sheet of the floormat if I screwed it up royally...Turns out, I made 2 before succombing to doing it the way everyone seems to be doing it, mostly because I have ZERO experiance working with this stuff, and because I could just feel my wallet getting lighter with every piece I cut and then subsequently threw away for either not fitting properly, or because I made a cut that looked like I had experianced a seizure half way through. My first two attempts at scratch building with no real blueprints other than some that I had hand drawn and scaled with a rule and compass looked a little something like this...

The first attempt in the background, the second up front...

9469025260_eef56b693f_c.jpg

Yeah, pretty much how you'd expect it to look when you don't bother to research how hard it is to work with this stuff without a modicum of help from a better trained mentor or the notion that if I just keep throwing money and new tools at this, I'll magically gain the knowledge of having done this for years in an instant...Except, no...that never works that way.

Time to face up to the fact that we all need to learn and no one is just awesome at this from day one. Off to the Youtubes!

Last edited:
Re: Cerberus Trooper foam armor build by a first timer...WIP

I've never worked with a 3D program before, so I grabbed the freeware program that the Pepakura website suggested played the nicest with it, Metasequoia. It's not exactly user friendly right out of the box, but after playing around with it for a few hours, I learned enough to do what I needed it for on this project. I'm learning more as I go, and I'm sure there's a better, less highly involved way of doing this (hint hint, please tell me there's a better, easier way!!!Pretty please with extra rainbow sprinkles on top!!!), but once I get started with something, I tend to stick with it till I've figured it out or someone points me in a better direction (see *hint hint above).

I found a rough modeled 3D structure via the intertubez and started tearing into it...Or more to the point, deconstructing someone's hard work into chucks I could then manipulate into even smaller chuncks via Pepakura...

9466315539_1ca8db917d_c.jpg

I'm sure there's a better way of doing this, but as the thread states...I'm pretty much a complete n00b at this. I'm going to do it the way it makes sense to me, and just attempt to do my best...

After tearing out the parts I didn't want, I ended up with something that looked like a buildable piece. I then threw it into Pepakura Designer and started the process of unfolding (again, without any real idea how to do that, but I love a good challange and I can already think in 3D, so how tough can it be?).After a lot of trial and error, I finally figured out how to break it down into pieces that would "fold" back into something that looked at least somewhat like the original.

I sorted out the pieces, made them fit on to the proper sized sheets of 110lb cardstock, and then cut it all out and taped it back together. Transferred it onto my foam and started the process of cutting it all back out....again. After a little trial and error (and a few dozen T-pins) I decided to make it permenant...

9466242195_cfee2bc980_c.jpg

It's not what I want by any stretch and the scale is a bit off, but I now see where I can improve on the design and make it look right. This gives me hope! I don't suck at armor building after all!!! WHOOT!!!!

After that little boost to my childishly fragile when-it-comes-to-myself-and-what-I-do ego, I got a little more ambitions. Time to drag out the biggest piece of the build...The torso. If this doesn't work out, I'm dropping out of this game and going back to licking electrical sockets for fun.

A little more manipulation of the 3D file, some scaling and adjusting of the parts, and I ended up with this...

9466315701_d619b0a203_c.jpg

Which I promptly turned into this...

9469022848_92c15e366d_c.jpg 9469023702_48e00b1d7d_c.jpg 9466241537_e71a52a5de_c.jpg

HOLY CRAP! Not only does it look similar to the original model, it actually FITS! ERHMEHGERD!

Which brings us up to today.

I'm building out the bottom half of the chest armor, including the cod piece. this is what it looks like as a realllllly rough starting point to give you an idea of how I build. I still need to glue it together, shape it a little more, and give it the ab detail, but I will be adding all those bits with smaller width foamies. I'm approaching this like a Lego model. Build a good base, then build on top of it. I hate how much dust this stuff kicks up as it is, so I'm trying my damnedest not to have to start breaking out the Dremel until it's absolutely needed.

Here's the progress to date.

9466280203_c224bc45eb_c.jpg 9469061234_44a28b4b08_c.jpg

There's going to be a lot more in the coming weeks as I get time to work on it, and I'll be making my first attempt at sculpting. I'm thinking Monster, but I could be convinced to use something else if there are any better suggestions for someone who has an artistic eye, but hasn't ever worked in clay before...well, except for that ash-tray I made at summer camp when I was 9.

I'll also be taking on something that I've always wanted to get more involved in, since woodworking has always been a bit of a hobby of mine, and I am a bit of a sci-fi weapons geek, the Cerberus Raptor

9469031318_3aa44837a0_c.jpg

I'm already breaking that thing down into about 100 pieces in my head that I can cut and rebuild with MDF and putty. That's a few weeks out yet, but I'll get to it as soon as I can get my garage cleaned out enough to set up all my shop tools again.

Here's to new adventures!

this is looking good! keep it up man! im playing through ME2 right now so this is right in my wheelhouse.

second pic: must be smelly workplace with all those shoes :p

but cool stuff man, cerberus armor is sweet.

this is looking good! keep it up man! im playing through ME2 right now so this is right in my wheelhouse.

Thanks! I've played through ME2 about 3 times now. Hopefully I'm doing this costume justice.

second pic: must be smelly workplace with all those shoes :p

but cool stuff man, cerberus armor is sweet.

Yeah, the lovely (and she is lovely), wifey has a shoe collecting fetish. What you can see in that photo is barely the tip of the iceberg. I think at last count she had something like 118 pairs of various sized and shaped heels. She hardly wears the things though. Now the running shoes we keep at the bottom of the stair well...that's a wholly different animal. ;)

And thanks! Your thread was partially the reason I made the decision to finally start contributing and not just reading what others had done.

Looking really good so far, you're pretty good with foam, especially for a first timer :p

Looking really good so far, you're pretty good with foam, especially for a first timer :p

I'm finding it's not the foam that's a pain in the ass, it's cutting it properly so when it's bent/shaped it still looks like the piece you were attempting to make.

If I could show half of what I did wrong before I started getting things right, this thread would be drowning in pictures.

There will be an update at some point today. The lovely, and she is lovely, wifey is going to turn me into a duct tape mummy so I have a place to store this thing, and I'm hoping to get the torso roughed out and glued up. So far everything seems to be progressing fairly well. Pics later.

This is looking nice so far. I'm working on a Mass Effect foam costume too, also as a first-timer, also not a Shepard suit. I'm enough of an idiot to try a krogan for my first build, hah.

I had a similar result to your first post when I had my first crack at one of the bracers. I didn't account for the foam's thickness after making a paper pattern, so it ended up too small, and pretty messy otherwise. If I can pull off an encouraging turnaround like you have with the torso armor, I'll be a happy camper.

This is looking nice so far. I'm working on a Mass Effect foam costume too, also as a first-timer, also not a Shepard suit. I'm enough of an idiot to try a krogan for my first build, hah.

I had a similar result to your first post when I had my first crack at one of the bracers. I didn't account for the foam's thickness after making a paper pattern, so it ended up too small, and pretty messy otherwise. If I can pull off an encouraging turnaround like you have with the torso armor, I'll be a happy camper.

It honestly gets easier. The hardest part for me now is being OK with parts looking like I still need to finish them. I know there's quite a bit of magic to use to make stuff look better, but I'm a bit impatient with it. There is quite a bit to do to finish off things that aren't hard lines. I just have to balance out my want to be finished with the need to have everything done in a manner than lends itself to being finished off. Not having any one elses build to "cheat" from is only making me want to make it perfect at every turn. I've spent the better part of today pouring over the calf pieces and have cut and tossed about a dozen sheets of cardstock to get to a point that I'm happy with it.

The best part is hearing that I'm not alone in trying and failing. Best of luck with your Krogan! If I can get this to turn out worth a damn, my next build may well be Garrus...

Very ambitious, I like it! I always liked the Cerberus armor designs (it almost made me feel bad about sending bullets through their skulls...almost).

I am going to pick nits and point out that the standard troopers don't carry the Raptor; as far as I know only the Snipers (or Ghosts or whatever they're called) use it. Still a very cool looking gun though.

I'm a big fan of ME builds; after I finish my Cap (and possibly Iron Man) build I want to try my hand at a Quarian suit.

I am going to pick nits and point out that the standard troopers don't carry the Raptor; as far as I know only the Snipers (or Ghosts or whatever they're called) use it. Still a very cool looking gun though.

I knew someone would bring that up :p

The picture I have shows the trooper with a Harrier, but I'm pretty sure Volpin already built one of those (and really quite damn well if I may add) so the idea was to stick to building stuff that I haven't seen before so I don't constantly compare my first effort to someone who has years of experience behind their builds. And if I fail at churning out something decent before the Long Beach Comic and Horror Con, I can always order a kit from him to complete the build, or just modify a Nerf gun.

Plus I think the Raptor will look pretty awesome up on the wall. (Honestly, that's my real motivation...)

UPDATE!

So for the last few weeks I've been traveling around for work and I finally got a weekend off to play around with my armor again...
It took me the better part of the day to get these right. I've got one horribly failed attempt (seriously, I had to kill it with fire...) and one that's passable as a piece to use as a test bed for finishing and painting techniques.

The pauldrons and bracers are roughed in finally. Whooooooo hoooo!
image.jpegimage_1.jpegphoto.JPG

Hopefully tomorrow I can get a start on prototyping the leg armor and the belt...

Stay tuned!

Hey this is looking great! I have been searching for files for the cerberus trooper armor. Would you be willing to share your pep files?

Hey this is looking great! I have been searching for files for the cerberus trooper armor. Would you be willing to share your pep files?

Absolutely! PM me your email address and I'll send you the .pdo files for what I've got completed to a point that it's useable. Word of caution though, they aren't anywhere near as polished as most Shepard Armor, so you'll have quite a bit to "work out" on your own as far as finishing and detail. I removed a whole bunch of parts that I will either add after with accent pieces or will burn in with a hot knife/iron. The calf and foot armor especially since I'm going to be building them directly onto a pair of rubber fishing boots. I'll also gladly answer any questions that may come up, so please don't hesitate to ask.

You have super clean cuts on the foam edges, not easy to do. Nice job :)

Thanks man. I've recently discovered the benefit of a blade sharpener (well, to be specific, a round diamond hone) and it's helped IMMENSELY! Had I known before that a blade that had been sharpened worked better than a brand new one, I wouldn't have wasted the first 30 or so blades by tossing them out when they started pulling the edges. I think a lot of the reason these x-acto blades stop doing a good job has more due to the oily manufacturing coating on the blade deteriorating and grabbing the foam than they are at simply getting dull. I was literally down to my last blade on a part I wanted to finish up (you know how when you get in that mood to just get something done and over with? I had those feels all day that day...) and I had hit that magical point when the blade would only cut a rough jagged edge, and I absolutely needed a clean beveled edge so it would glue up properly. After looking around for something else to cut it with, I grabbed the kitchen knife hone out of the butcher block. I figured what the hell and tried to clean up a decent enough edge on it to get through with the last 5 cuts or so.

Turns out it cut better than it did when it was new. I dug through my big tool box out in the garage for my mini sharpening tool that had a little round diamond hone on it and tried it out. That made all the difference in the world. I can now get about 5-10 times more life out of a blade than I did before and they always cut better after I sharpen it the first time. I bought a 15 pack of blades (just so I'd have a few extras) and I've completed all of the upper leg armor using 1 blade vs. the 5 or 6 that I would have had to use before.

I'll update the thread when I get home later today with my progress to date (Nearly ready for a test fitting from the neck down to the knees...ZOMG!) and I'll snap a photo of the sharpener and what the blade looks like after I get done with it. They aren't pretty, but dammit if they don't work a treat.

I've also got to make a run out to Harbor Freight to pick up some more floor mats and some other assorted goodies (My love/hate relationship with that place is legendary, but a 20% off coupon means I can pick up a pack of 4 2'x2' mats for $7) I am waiting on an Amazon shipment to arrive this week with buckles, nylon webbing, elastic straps, and velcro strips to get everything buttoned up to start the finishing process. I think I'm going to use white and black Plasti-dip to finish it off after I fill in the holes and gaps with paintable latex caulk and seal it with ModgePodge. The texture of the Plasti-dip means I should only have to dry wash it slightly with browns and black to get a weathered look without having to repaint the whole thing in a dingy white wash. At least that's the plan...I've got an extra shoulder pauldron I made when I was prototyping that I'm going to practice on before I go all out.

Also, I've changed gears a bit since my IRL work has gotten stupidly busy and I don't know when I will be able to spend the hours it's going to take to prep my garage for woodworking, much less create useable blueprints for the Raptor and get this armor 100% complete...So I think I'm going to try to build a foam M-27 Scimitar to go with this suit. I should be able to complete that well before the Long Beach Comic Con in November, and if I end up with more time, maybe I'll get back to the Raptor. The wifey has made known her interest at possibly becoming a Phantom to compliment my Trooper for next year's Conventions we hope to attend. Then the Raptor will be in the proper hands. :)

This is awesome, great work! I'm kicking around the idea of starting not one, but TWO Cerberus builds (Engineer/Phantom, for my husband and I) and am also a complete newb - so it's really neat to follow your process.

I'd love to see what you come up with for your wife's Phantom build! I'm not sure what to use as a base that will be both thin and sturdy enough (because seriously, that armor looks like it's painted on!) to hold up to your typical Con abuse.

So I was kicking around the idea of sculpting the helmet, and it occurred to me that I don't have an armature to build on. I also have zero experience with Pepakura for it's intended use, so I figured what the hell, kill two birds with one stone, and gain some street-cred with Pep'ing. Worst case, I'm out a few hours work and a bucks worth of card-stock.

I tore apart the full Trooper file in Metasequoia down to the helmet, and started the way fun task of unfolding it. Came out to something like 129 pieces, but having no other real experience with paper, I don't know any better and more parts means more crafting EXP, right? Printed it all out on 110 weight card stock,

9679658931_f91dd31e90.jpg

fired up the glue gun and hobby knife, and away I went.

9682887708_2e49095cf5.jpg

A little while later and

9682891340_a372914e25.jpg

Finally built the exterior up and was so ultimately proud of my accomplishment! This actually looks like the 3D model in Pepakura. WHOOOOHOOOO!!

9679652803_98fb0da2c2.jpg

And then I tried it on and realized I had made a terrible rookie mistake. When I unfolded it, I measured around my head and had sized it just bigger (about 10mm all the way around), but it turns out I have ears and a nose and the top of my head isn't quite oval and flat on top like inside the helmet. WHOOPSIE!

9682885730_4ac2057888.jpg

So now I get to do that all over again (and about 15% larger than this time)...

But I built a thing! And it looks halfway decent for a first time out of the gate.

And here's my magical blade sharpener. Seriously...This thing has already saved me $10 in blades and this is only my first time hacking up EVA...
9682892282_ec7207d429.jpg

lookin sweet bud, gotta track me down one of them sharpeners here in holland, x-acto knives are a b*tch to come by here, always have to do it through ebay.

Cerberus Trooper...*WIP* Partial suit-up!

So I made another rookie mistake...

CA glue is HORRIBLE for foam parts that require any type of flexing ability at all. When I tried to finish off the surround "bodice" piece, it started creaking and cracking everywhere. Even though I had reinforced all the joints with hot glue on the back side, it didn't matter. Anywhere there was superglue, the hot glue just wouldn't stick.

In a fit of horrible rage I destroyed the entire upper armor. It made me feel better and I learned a little something about myself.

I'm just not a quitter.

So I started again from scratch with all the days of knowledge under my belt and decided to start again. This time I was going to build it with reinforcement where I knew it needed it, and shave off a few parts that ended up being extraneous after the unfolding process. I also revamped the center section to make it easier to transport should that need arise.

Needless to say, this time it came out better than I had anticipated and I ended up nearly pulling an all nighter. I was in that zone man...There was no turning back now. Considering I couldn't stand seeing it all this close and not throwing it on, I took the opportunity and did it.

Here's the latest and greatest Version 1.1

9735430702_d09d90df06.jpg 9735430138_6d6c53d8a7.jpg 9732198533_8569bc7ee8.jpg 9735428048_303dd71acd.jpg 9735431362_6fbb72aa45.jpg

It's nearly completely roughed in and a few small details done. All I have left at this point to build as far as the armor goes are the boots (waiting on Brown Santa to deliver them), and the under suit (I'm thinking a pair of distressed black coveralls will do the trick). I've got some more detail work to do on the upper part of the shoulder assembly so the white parts are just sort of laying on top, and the shoulder pauldrons will be affixed to the inside of the shoulder and a strap around my bicep to hold them in place.

The bucket is a completely different story, but that's something I'm still figuring out how I want to finish up.

But all in all I think it's coming together nicely. Now...Where are those aspiring universe saviors and knee high walls?

9732197981_f228432e02.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back