Mask of the Phantasm Redesign

Gojira

Alright in regards to my other projects I found this one to be more manageable, so I’m going with it. Yay Mask of the Phantasm! I’ve always wanted to make the Phantasm. It’s a bit of a re-design since we don’t get a lot of costume details in the movie.
Mask of Phantasm Concept Art.PNG

I’ve already gotten a grey cotton based material for the cloak, gloves, and boots. I was told cotton is best for weathering. It’s a thin material so I might have to line it.
I want to try the pepakura and fiberglass route for the mask. I’ve never used this technique. So first thing I did was 3d model the mask myself. Translated that over to Pepakura. And after a day of folding paper and applying the fiberglass resin:
20150722_234316.jpg20150722_234236.jpg

I then applied about 3 layers of bondo over the fiberglass. I filled the lower parts with joint compound. It seems to be working for the most part
20150730_172645.jpg20150730_172655.jpg

It definitely still needs some refining, but I think it’s coming along nicely. It’s my first mask in this style. I don’t expect it to be perfect, but I’m going to keep going with it. I’ll make changes on my future iterations of the mask. I might be able to even start painting the mask this weekend!
I've never sewn before, so hopefully I can get a friend to help me with sewing the cloak. I already have all the patterns needed for that. I plan on getting that started within the next week or two since, but it depends on my friends availability.

The Phantasm was always one of my favorite designs, and I really like where you're going with it. Can't wait to see it finished!

Well done, sir! I like what you've done with it so far. I think you are doing a great job of translating the animated appearance while also putting your own slightly more realistic spin on it. Looking great!

The Phantasm was always one of my favorite designs, and I really like where you're going with it. Can't wait to see it finished!
Thank you very much! The Phantasm is one of my favorites too! I hope the rest of the suit comes out as well.
G,
this is how redesigns are supposd to be ( awesome ) not disasters like bay-turtles .
awesome casting
Haha. I'm glad you like my redesign!
Well done, sir! I like what you've done with it so far. I think you are doing a great job of translating the animated appearance while also putting your own slightly more realistic spin on it. Looking great!
Thank you for the compliment. I really wanted to make a more realistic Phantasm, so thank you very much.

I'm going to add a bit more weathering to the mask tomorrow and I think the mask will be done (aside from adding straps). I started weathering some of my fabrics today and cut out my materials for the boots. I'll try to get the boots sewn tomorrow too!

if you are gonna do the blade , dont make it one solid piece of material ( or atleast add a lighting fabric *aka the tron suit LEDs* in between the blade itself ) try the dollar store with the party lights for the micro solar lights ( but thats how i would do the blades XD )

i think the mask was awesome before the weathering tho , after it didnt have as much fear XD instilled ( got a gothic fetish , tbt)

Great work! and I found this Photoshop of the mask of the phantasm in the dark knight trilogy and that mask is just a air-soft mask that could work.
maskphantasm.pngUJIezJk.jpg

Or there is more of a 'accurate' version from one of the batman beyond comic covers which I'm assuming that you are going for something like this? But with your own 'flair' of course, and love the drawing and mask so far:).
3963973-bmbuni_cv13_53726add387db7.86182453.jpg

This build looks fantastic so far!! I really like the weathering job you did on the mask. My girlfriend made a Phantasm outfit last year. She's wanted to rebuild it for awhile now. She needs to find a better way for the mask to stay on aside from Jason Hockey Mask-style straps. Here's a picture of what hers looked like:

10349889_400400856807201_3646045285247490346_n.jpg

if you are gonna do the blade , dont make it one solid piece of material ( or atleast add a lighting fabric *aka the tron suit LEDs* in between the blade itself ) try the dollar store with the party lights for the micro solar lights ( but thats how i would do the blades XD )

i think the mask was awesome before the weathering tho , after it didnt have as much fear XD instilled ( got a gothic fetish , tbt)
I think for the blade I'm going to use some pvc pipe and maybe wood for the blade.

Great work! and I found this Photoshop of the mask of the phantasm in the dark knight trilogy and that mask is just a air-soft mask that could work.
View attachment 510547View attachment 510548

Or there is more of a 'accurate' version from one of the batman beyond comic covers which I'm assuming that you are going for something like this? But with your own 'flair' of course, and love the drawing and mask so far:).
View attachment 510549
Yeah I saw that Nolan styled Phantasm. It looks cool. Yeah I'm going for a more realistic version of the mask.

This build looks fantastic so far!! I really like the weathering job you did on the mask. My girlfriend made a Phantasm outfit last year. She's wanted to rebuild it for awhile now. She needs to find a better way for the mask to stay on aside from Jason Hockey Mask-style straps. Here's a picture of what hers looked like:

View attachment 510683
That's a really cool costume! Do you mean by the hockey mask straps, a strap on each side and one going from the top too? I was thinking of anchoring in my straps to the mask with a strip of fiberglass. Hopefully that will work. Will see about that

I finally did a bit more weathering to the mask the other day. All I did was brush some watered down black acrylics over the mask and wiped it off quickly. Then I added a bit of rust around the mouth, nose. and a few other spots.
20150803_133459.jpg

I got to work on the cloak and under shirt today too! I sewed the cloak yesterday. (someone showed me how to sew!). I rubbed wet coffee grounds around the cloak, more concentrated towards the bottom.I let the cloak air dry to assure the stains set in. If you do rub a lot coffee grounds into your material I strongly recommend washing the cloth afterwards, my cloak smells like a Starbucks. After it dried I took a belt sander to the material to shred it a bit. I used a wire brush to fray the material even more. Here's where it stands right now
20150805_144748.jpg20150805_144809.jpg, I

Attachments

• 20150805_144748.jpg
    20150805_144748.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 404
  • 20150805_144809.jpg
    20150805_144809.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 350
Last edited:
I think for the blade I'm going to use some pvc pipe and maybe wood for the blade.

Yeah I saw that Nolan styled Phantasm. It looks cool. Yeah I'm going for a more realistic version of the mask.

That's a really cool costume! Do you mean by the hockey mask straps, a strap on each side and one going from the top too? I was thinking of anchoring in my straps to the mask with a strip of fiberglass. Hopefully that will work. Will see about that

I finally did a bit more weathering to the mask the other day. All I did was brush some watered down black acrylics over the mask and wiped it off quickly. Then I added a bit of rust around the mouth, nose. and a few other spots.
View attachment 510861

I got to work on the cloak and under shirt today too! I sewed the cloak yesterday. (someone showed me how to sew!). I rubbed wet coffee grounds around the cloak, more concentrated towards the bottom.I let the cloak air dry to assure the stains set in. If you do rub a lot coffee grounds into your material I strongly recommend washing the cloth afterwards, my cloak smells like a Starbucks. After it dried I took a belt sander to the material to shred it a bit. I used a wire brush to fray the material even more. Here's where it stands right now
View attachment 510859View attachment 510860, I

Love the cape/cloak and mask:).

I finally put some straps on the mask. I found a broken head lamp of mine and used it's straps. I cut the middle piece into 3 pieces and then attached it to the mask using epoxy.
20150806_105751.jpg20150806_105759.jpg20150806_143938.jpg20150806_143953.jpg
I also finished making the claw today. The base was a piece of pvc pipe. The claw/blades are made from 3 pieces. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the claw being made, but it's just wood pieces cut out. In between the blades is a handle. A slot on both side of the pvc pipe was cut so the blades could slip in. The cap is a piece of styrofoam that was then shaved down. The styrofoam was then covered in bondo so it would attach easily to the pvc pipe. The raised ledges on the pvc are 2 pieces of the thin foam sheets.
20150806_152253.jpg20150806_200755.jpg20150806_203235.jpg20150807_120735.jpg20150807_173226.jpg
I finished attaching the boots to a pair of shoes I had lying around and my left glove was finished as well. Sorry I don't have any pics of these at the moment. I'll get some tomorrow. Actually the costume is pretty much done at this point. I should be able to get some full pictures of me in the suit tomorrow as I'll be wearing it to KC Comic Con!

I can't believe I missed this thread. Whatever. The mask looks even better in person; with the metallic paint showing through, it genuinely looks like metal. So cool!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back