Mask attempt and need molding help

Alucard1

So over many tries and fails, I had come to a mask I liked. I then tried making a mold with plaster parris. When pull the clay out it cracked and broke. Is their a stronger substance to mold my mask from
20151118_223443.jpg

Fibreglass or silicone
Plaster of paris is bad.. try tiranti if youre making a mask (latex) for a bio mask use silicone it retains detail.

What exactly are you trying to do ? Create a mold from a clay sculpt to create a latex mask or a hard bio mask ?

The answer to this question will lead you into your material choice. Remember you make a hard mold (plaster) to cast a soft material (latex)

You make a soft mold (silicone / latex) to cast a hard material. A soft mold will also most likely need a hard outside shell.

Plaster is ok for making mold in a pinch but Ultracal is A LOT better and either one will need a fiber reinforcement like burlap.

What exactly are you trying to do ? Create a mold from a clay sculpt to create a latex mask or a hard bio mask ?

The answer to this question will lead you into your material choice. Remember you make a hard mold (plaster) to cast a soft material (latex)

You make a soft mold (silicone / latex) to cast a hard material. A soft mold will also most likely need a hard outside shell.

Plaster is ok for making mold in a pinch but Ultracal is A LOT better and either one will need a fiber reinforcement like burlap.
I was going to make a fibet glass/bondo hard cast

Yea totally the wrong way round. But that aside. Plaster of Paris is not strong enough to use as a master mold for any sculpt. People use it as a mother mold. Like others said. RTV silicone over the clay, then before you demold it pour a mother mold which should be hard over the silicone. I used plaster of Paris for this. Or fibreglass.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back