Marvel Thing 2015 build

First coat of base paint. I think this orange is right on the money. Let me know what you guys think. Working on the 2nd boot. Also included a shot of the inside that is carved out to allow room for the calf to slide into it.
0105151408.jpg0105151348.jpg0105151346a.jpg0104151621.jpg
I will start airbrushing the shadow and scarring effects later this week. Should have the boots wrapped in material this week as well.

Attachments

• 0105151349.jpg
    0105151349.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Well its been a week since my last update. It has been a hellish week of fighting with material for the boots and wrestling foam onto the mannequin. The boots i am back to square one on. I ordered some faux leather fabric to try wrapping them in. I have a descent start on the legs and had the chance to mess with the Fantastic 4 symbol. I think its a pretty descent match to the classic.
0105151721.jpg0109151336.jpg0109151336a.jpg0109151426.jpg0109151532b.jpg0110151953a.jpg0110151953.jpg You Will notice that i carved all the way into the back of the leg and then put an angled relief cut into the knee to allow for motion.
Over the next few days i will be doing the final carving of the legs before wrapping in material as well as finally try and wrap up these boots. As always any suggestions will be welcome.

Sweet love it. Are you going to do a test fit before you paint? The color is spot on in my opinion. MAN I CANT WAIT TO SEE MORE PROGRESS!

Sweet love it. Are you going to do a test fit before you paint? The color is spot on in my opinion. MAN I CANT WAIT TO SEE MORE PROGRESS!
Thanks for the encouragement Peek. I have actually been doing test fits as i go. I will post a video link later this week once i have everything tweeked. Next step is wrapping the legs in a sheet cloth.(I cant hot glue the individual stones straight to the foam they don't stick.)

Try gel contact cement (ventilation, respirator!) to glue your stones foam-to-foam. It works great and a quart can goes a long way.

Are you using plain old rattle can spray paint on foam rubber? I am really surprised that works. I would have thought it would need plasti-dip first.

This is my favorite comic book character and you are realizing him better than any feature film, so far. Be very proud of this build!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try gel contact cement (ventilation, respirator!) to glue your stones foam-to-foam. It works great and a quart can goes a long way.

Are you using plain old rattle can spray paint on foam rubber? I am really surprised that works. I would have thought it would need plasti-dip first.

This is my favorite comic book character and you are realizing him better than any feature film, so far. Be very proud of this build!!

Hi Ahoudini, the paint is being applied over a stone effect that was designed to adhere to foam and other like materials, so this gives me both the rougher texture and a base for paint. I will definitely look into that glue though. It would allow me to skip a whole step.
Thanks

Boots wrapped up. I used a faux leather.(pleather). They didn't come out to bad...not quite what i was hoping for but after 3 attempts it is what it is. Now there are many incarnations of the The Thing over the years, most of which show him with either all black or all white boots, however there was a brief stint where he had white and blue boots such as these and they were always my favorite. I will be adding a FF Symbol to the cuffs which was never seen in the comics but i think would look very cool.
Check back later this week for a video link to a test walk in the new legs with the boots.
0112151822a.jpg0112151822.jpg0112151822b.jpgNext to my size 11.
0112151823.jpg0112152247.jpg0112152249.jpg
0112152058.jpgThe treads you see on the boots is nothing more than the tear off tabs on a square of EVA foam turned upside down. I thought they made pretty good boot treads.

Just a quick post with the final completed boots. Also have the legs in material wrap ready for the stones to be glued on. I will have a video posted late tonight of the final test fit of the legs, so be sure to check back.
0114151837e.jpg0114151847.jpg0114151917.jpg
Just a side note. I have been wrapping the foam in sheets to allow the hot glue to stick because I have had no success with gluing EVA directly to coach foam, However today I found a commercial glue stick product made by the Arrow company (they make staple guns) that works amazing foam to foam and will be utilizing this going forward.

OK here it is the Raw Foam Leg test fit for shape and mobility. "Yes I am the fat guy in the nerd shirt doing the testing". Mobility was outstanding but I do need to adjust the length of the ankles to better sit in the boots . I will also be adding a top skirt to the boots so you will be unable to see any transition points. (You may notice that the boots were not completed at the time of the video but have since been finished)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23kAnB-gyiA

How cool is THAT! :D:thumbsup please tell me you will film the end result at the comic con!
Subscribed to this thread since I found out where the subscribe button was :lol:facepalm

How cool is THAT! :D:thumbsup please tell me you will film the end result at the comic con!
Subscribed to this thread since I found out where the subscribe button was :lol:facepalm

You bet George. I will be filming quite a bit as the build progresses and I will include some vids of the actual airbrushing work when I do the final shading down the road.

Amazing work! I love this build!

They will be less so when painted, I bet, but the "knee caps" are a little distracting. Can they be tacked down, say with a big stitch of cord elastic, so they give when you sit but stay down better when you walk?

Please know that this is a tiny quibble and meant only in the spirit of trying to boost this gorgeous project !

LOVE THE VADER PROPS!! This suit is AWESOME! Isn't this a blast, making a character jump out and come to life. Man I am so impatient, more posts, more posts!!! You need 3 friends to finish out the 4. Man if I lived close I would gladly pic one just to stand next to your BAD AZZ SUIT! FREAKING AWESOME!! Can't wait to see more. OH and the 4 on the boots gives it that personal touch.

Amazing work! I love this build!

They will be less so when painted, I bet, but the "knee caps" are a little distracting. Can they be tacked down, say with a big stitch of cord elastic, so they give when you sit but stay down better when you walk?

Please know that this is a tiny quibble and meant only in the spirit of trying to boost this gorgeous project !

Ahoudini I will be hollowing out the inside of the knee flap and adding stone, this will give the effect that it is a solid stone knee cap that moves when he bends. I believe this should have a pretty cool effect. And by all means keep the suggestions coming I have very thick skin and will take all criticism.

I could actually use the communities help in finding a tutorial (an in depth tutorial) on building mechanical hand extensions. I can find plenty of Videos on hand extensions but no step by step how too's .

Hey Peek,
My son is going as Doctor Doom and my wife will be Invisible Woman. My other son is working on his Mark Series Iron Man and refused to be Mr Fantastic. lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back