Marvel Movie Rights and Future Marvel Movies

Here's hoping that the powers that be understand that long term success of the entire franchise rests on the quality of writing - that each new film and character will enhance and expand the universe on film. Each new character and character arc has to be original in some way or else we'll get bored fast.

Marvel Could Start Releasing Three - Or Even Four - Movies A Year | Badass Digest

Interesting speculation about the other 2017 release which I thought was not in consideration anymore.

This would be the first I've heard that Marvel may want another movie to take Ant-Man's original Nov slot. Having 2 additional films the same year as Avengers 2 seems like overkill though, but I guess we'll see in the next few months if they decide to go down that route.

Personally I think Marvel shouldn't do more than 3 films a year and even those years should be the exception. Maybe 2015 is their first test if they add a 3rd film. 2 a year seems to be the magic number IMO. There's only so many producers, artists, and staff at their disposal. Also, the more films released a year, the more box office competition they're bound to run into, unless Marvel's so cocky that they'd release tentpoles during off-peak, which to me seems too risky even with their brand value.

Geez, how many Marvel movies are there going to be a year? We've already got Sony promising a Spiderman universe movie a year and Fox will want to squeeze out as many X-Men and Fantastic Four movies as they can. Geez, they're going to be competing against themselves.

AND THERE'S STILL NO ANNOUNCEMENT OF A FEMALE LEAD FILM!

Fox has X Men DoFP 2014, FF 2015, X Men Apocalypse 2016, Wolverine possibly 2017 and maybe X-Force somewhere in there and whenever a FF sequel/crossover is due... Add in Marvel MCU and Spidey films... I feel sorry for DC :lol

I'm actually wondering now, is this Disney/Marvel's subtle hint that they're going after the other studios that're holding onto their film rights? Fox and Marvel haven't always been on the same page, that's no secret. 3 to 4 Marvel Studio films a year is certainly going to cannibalize revenue from the other Marvel films from Fox and Sony. Also consider the fact that Marvel Entertainment's royalty take from their licensed deals with Fox and Sony is not very lucrative (in fact in their earlier years, Marvel didn't make a dime after studio accounting), so it's not like financially this strategy is going to hurt Marvel. Their profit margins from their vertical studio business on the other hand are much higher and my guess is they can absorb a small hit to their box office numbers on their Marvel Studio films, though there's still a lot of risk with this move because of the vertical nature (higher break-even required). From a branding standpoint, Marvel still gets other studios to sink in hundreds of millions of dollars in what are essentially massive advertising campaigns for their properties, and I find it highly doubtful the other studios will purposely sink their X-Men, FF, and Spider-Man franchises just to retaliate since it's their money on the hook. Marvel's end game here would obviously to cause enough cannibalization that the other studios give the film rights back.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this :lol

Fox has X Men DoFP 2014, FF 2015, X Men Apocalypse 2016, Wolverine possibly 2017 and maybe X-Force somewhere in there and whenever a FF sequel/crossover is due... Add in Marvel MCU and Spidey films... I feel sorry for DC :lol
i don't. :D

DC's films are pretty weak these days. The Nolan batfilms were good, but Man of Steel was....not.

However, DC is doing pretty well in the TV department. Better than Marvel, it seems.

DC's films are pretty weak these days. The Nolan batfilms were good, but Man of Steel was....not.

However, DC is doing pretty well in the TV department. Better than Marvel, it seems.
DC did capture a big television presence with surprisingly little opposition from Marvel. Soon after DC secured network deals Marvel announced their productions to be distributed through Netflix. Arguably what Marvel has done is the smarter move. I suspect they were deliberately quiescent until DC was committed to television.

Netflix has been releasing some good original series lately and the medium allows for more creative freedom. The "Heroes of Hells Kitchen" is that much more promising since it's produced for Netflix.

I just wish so badly that Sony and Disney could come together and bring Spidey in for an Avengers film. That would just be one of the coolest things ever and he belongs with his other Marvel mates!

I just wish so badly that Sony and Disney could come together and bring Spidey in for an Avengers film. That would just be one of the coolest things ever and he belongs with his other Marvel mates!
I understand what you're saying; but, Spidey's not really an Avenger. Yes, he's worked with them at times...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back