Marvel Movie Rights and Future Marvel Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by rodneyfaile, May 4, 2012.

1. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

When does Marvel regain the movie rights to the X-men and Spiderman? The best Marvel movies have been made by Marvel Studios.

X-men First Class was the best non-Marvel Studios movie. Michael Fassbender and James MCAvoy are excellent actors. I could watch an entire movie of Magneto going * hunting!

I want to see more cameos from other characters to add continuity. Even if its only a mention. A picture of Thing on a monitor behind Tony Stark. Courtroom scene with Matt Murdock.

Can you imagine what it would be like if Marvel still had those movie rights?

2. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more..
    When marvel do a film they do it BIG and BADA** and they are always awesome..
    But continuity of the films would be good i.e have wolverine as a camo in captain america (during WW2)

There must be some law genius that can find a loop hole in the contracts so marvel can get the films back!!
    But good question when do they get the rights back ??

3. TaylorMcManus

TaylorMcManus Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm not sure if they want the rights back at the moment. I'm sure if they did, they'd find a way. But obviously they're focusing on The Avengers, so they leave the other characters to other studios. A few cameos wouldn't be worth all of the money they'd spend buying the rights back. But I definitely agree, it'd be cool to see more characters added to their universe!

4. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

It would have been cool to see Hugh Jackman in Captain America!

5. The BDK

The BDK Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe the contracts were written up so that they have to make a movie every few years or the rights revert back to marvel. Thats why the Amazing Spiderman is comming out, Xmen first Class was made, and Fantastic Four and Daredevil are currently in works to be re-booted.

I wish the rights would revert too so they could have Beast as an Avenger, a Defenders Movie or even something like a Secret War epic movie.

6. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I think that's standard practice for anybody that holds a license to an IP, they have to do something with the IP every so many years otherwise they lose their license/copyright.

7. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. cboath

cboath Master Member

It shouldn't even come down to rights. Just do some quid pro quo. Marvel allows Fox to use IM or Hulk or someone in a spiderman movie and Fox lets spidey appear in the Avengers. Cross promotional win win for everyone. That's probably too easy a solution though.

9. JD

JD Master Member

...at this point, I think I'm glad that X-Men and Spidey are outside of the Marvel Movie Universe. It could become a little too crowded in those movies if they were to keep adding and adding characters.

I'm sure we'll see a few more Marvel heroes added here and there, but I think keeping some of the larger franchises separate might be the best for now.

10. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

I'd rather see a new Wolverine. A shorter, hairier, growlier one.

11. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pretty interesting read here from Wired, an interview with Kevin Feige. This issue gets addressed slightly

12. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

The cartoon series from the 90's handled this fairly well. Remembering the Spiderman Animated series I used to love it when they had the different guest spots every so often. They had everybody ranging from Captain America, Wolverine, Punisher, Fantastic Four, X-men, Iron Man, Blade, etc.

The story Arcs were well done and they flowed well together. Hell, even spiderman showed up in an X-men story IIRC. Point is they worked and worked well, something i wish the studios would reference. Like cboath said if they worked together it'd be mutually beneficial.

13. Cookiee Monsta

Cookiee Monsta Well-Known Member

Punisher & Blade have reverted back to Marvel.

14. Chris27989

another question how come stan lee still does the camo roles in the spiderman films if marvels don't have the rights ? Just confused me

15. Kevin Gossett

I think that is more of a courtesy

16. Chris27989

ahh thats what I thought

17. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Excellent!

Can someone write a fan fiction where Blade kills everyone in Twillight and True Blood?

18. Kevin Gossett

Off to a good start here! :lol

19. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

A Secret Wars movie would have to be a trilogy of it's own just for the sheer number of characters and the storyline.

20. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Hopefully that means a new Blade movie when he gets out of jail...

21. Chris27989

isn't snipes out of jail, thought he was released 2 years ago as he did Game of death

i'm probably wrong lol

22. Cookiee Monsta

Cookiee Monsta Well-Known Member

Wesleys version of Blade differed to what was in the comics thanks to Goyer. If Marvel does another Blade movie no doubt it'll be with another actor, different look & origin story.

23. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Probably go with another younger actor.

24. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Stan Lee is a character, to be sure, but he's not a Marvel Comics character; they don't own him. Unless his contract with Marvel forbids it (which doesn't appear to be the case), he's free to appear in whatever movies, television shows, advertising, etc., he chooses. Besides, he's so closely identified with Marvel Comics that they probably consider it free publicity.

25. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

No more please.

Especially Punisher. There's been what? 4 of those. They all sucked.

It just doesn't make it as a movie.

26. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

I didn't think there was any way a Thor movie could ever work. I've seen two movies with Thor now, and one of them might be my favorite movie ever.

If Marvel Studios can make a movie about a hammer-wielding god, I'm sure they can pull off a vigilante.

I liked Blade a lot.

27. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

28. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Well see. I really hope they don't make Venom out to be a hero in a stand alone film. I would love to see a "dark" scary Venom flick, but I know it won't happen.

29. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

anything is possible is the pretty sister of NO!

30. Rotwang

Rotwang Sr Member

I would love to see a Marvel universe that doesn't reset itself every few years. Maybe they can keep the stories going, but change actors if necessary as time passes. Or in the case of teams, just change the roster.

31. Kevin Gossett

That's the current plan for Iron Man. When RDJ stops, they're still going to continue the story with a different actor, a la Bond

32. SeeD

SeeD New Member

haha Venom a hero, even when he does good things Venom is still rotten to the core but i really couldn't see him getting his own movie.

I just hope that one day they do a Civil War movie(s) :D

33. EyeofSauron

funny thing is, sony is going crazy :D

they said they want to do the same thing with their marvel characters as marvel did with the avengers

they are making the venom movie as part of this universe, as is the new spiderman reboot.

i dont know where this is heading.

34. The BDK

The BDK Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hopefully, it heads to a grand failure that leads to Marvel taking the rights back.

35. EyeofSauron

im not even sure how that is supposed to work

what main characters do they have:
    Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson,
    Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, The Lizard/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

not really a lot to build an universe from, except for a spiderman series. They are doing the venom movie, but really, unless they do a lot of villain movies, i dont see how this will work

36. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

They'd have to change the storyline, no way Marvel would let their most popular movie hero be the bad guy.

37. SeeD

SeeD New Member

I take it you're referring to Iron Man?

38. SeeD

SeeD New Member

They could do it based on the new Venom comics but I have no idea who they would pick to be opposite Venom even if he's partially good he's still a monster, my only guess would be Jack-O-Lantern(which they probably don't the rights for) or Kraven

39. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Indeed.

40. SeeD

SeeD New Member

It's not so much that he's a bad guy in the Civil War he's just on the side of the Government(EVIL :p) really depends on which side people agree with. Though they would have to give this 150% since it is one of the most popular story lines.

41. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

I'm exaggerating a bit, but Cap fans certainly didn't have to hang their heads in shame after Civil War like Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic fans did. The writers were also clearly biased towards Anti-Reg being right, and Tony was being a complete tool during most of the crossover. What-If showed if he'd not threatened Cap before all hell broke loose things would have turned out much better.

Maybe it's just I gave up on Marvel comics soon after because of the "One More Day" [expletive deleted] but I don't recall Civil War being popular. I remember Cap's surrender being mocked, and placing bets on how long he'd stay "dead."

42. SeeD

SeeD New Member

I really liked it at least, maybe it was just me :( Personally as much as I love Cap I think they should have left him dead(at least for longer than they did) and the same for Human Torch, We can't really appreciate the seriousness of these parts if they just come back.

Minus the One more Day and Cap Resurrected and Civil War was a great story though.

I think M-day would make a pretty * interesting plot for a movie or two but they would have to carry it on afterwards or it would fall flat.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  43. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

It's Marvel, the only person that actually stays dead is Ben Parker. I'm surprised they kept Cap dead as long as they did, I was betting on a year tops.

I wanted to like Civil War, it sounded awesome on paper, but the Stamford incident was trivial compared to all the other crap that happens in Marvel so it didn't work for me as a catalyst for the Registration Act. All the time the X-Men have opposed Mutant Registration, only to ignore this one didn't sit right with me.

I wouldn't want to see M-Day as a movie. It was done to reduce the number of mutants in the comics, something that doesn't need to be done in the movies. After the cure plot from X-Men 3 I think it'd be redundant too.

44. SeeD

SeeD New Member

Personally i got why they didn't want to get involved after all those years of being persecuted as mutants and having their identities forcefully revealed, why would they want to defend other heroes rights to privacy when they don't even have that.

Ah yeah i can see how that would come across repetitive I just really like what it leads into later on.

45. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

It leads to a bad sequel when they switch directors and then a reboot of the franchise.

46. SeeD

SeeD New Member

Yeah they would just end up ruining it on me :(

47. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

*, that joke just made me worry about Iron Man 3. Shame on me.

48. SeeD

SeeD New Member

Well rumour has it that Iron Man 3 is gonna involve the Mandarin so that should be an interesting movie and with Avengers 2 in the works I'd be pretty surprised if they tried to pull a reboot.

49. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

I mean since they switched directors for Iron Man 3 I'm worried about the quality, not a reboot.

50. SeeD

SeeD New Member

oh wow i didn't even hear about that, yeah that worries me a little Favreau did such a good job with the first 2 it's strange that he isn't directing the 3rd.