Marc Webb talks about web shooters in The Amazing Spiderman!

Steamboat Spidey

All credit goes to comicbookmovie.com

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=43373

Marc Webb Talks About The Use Of Web-Shooters In The Amazing Spider-Man!

The director of next year's Spider-Man reboot talks in detail about why the web-shooters will be used in the film, as well as dishing on the design of the costume and the extended legs on the spider symbol...

Speaking to LA Times, Marc Webb - director of the hotly anticipated The Amazing Spider-Man - talks about why he decided to include the use of the web-shooters in the film (something that Raimi's trilogy didn't), saying that they helped to dramatize Peter Parker's intellect. He also discussed the design of the costume, saying that they wanted to make the body longer and more agile (something that the extended legs of the chest symbol emphasizes).

On why they decided to go with web-shooters...

I had a meeting with Stan Lee and we talked about the web-shooters. I was curious about the incarnation of them [because] of course in the previous films [they went away from them] and we wanted to reestablish ourselves. That was one thing but the other thing was the fact that the web-shooters were able to dramatize Peter’s intellect and I thought that was really cool. … It was in the comics and we have a different design but it’s a cool element to have. It’s not something we over-use or over-exploit. To me, it’s something I remember from when I was a kid and thinking 'It would be cool if I could build those.'​

On the design of the costume...

We paid attention to the question of ‘How would a kid make it?’ And obviously we took some license with it. We also wanted a design that would make the body longer and more lithe, more of an acrobat, someone incredibly agile, and the legs of the spider [symbol on the chest] were something we used to emphasize that. We made a bunch of different suits for different lighting conditions. I wanted something that worked in the night a little better. We paid attention to that and also made the webbing [on the costume] a little bit darker. With the costume and the web-shooters we wanted to emphasize that these are things that Peter Parker made and that he is special himself even if he feels like he’s an outsider.​
The Amazing Spider-Man swings into theaters July 3rd, 2012!

Sounds pretty interesting to me. What about you guys?

I think it sounds good. I really hope that Pete will be creatively intellectual in this version. We saw in the trailer that he was hunched over writing in his notebook when Gwen turns around to look at him. Maybe he's working on chemistry formulas or drawing up mechanical schematics, and if something like this is done and brought up before he's bitten by the spider, it can show the audience that Pete really has the mental ability to concoct web fluid or build webshooters.

As long as we can BELIEVE that he's a smart guy in the film. Hopefully the actor is up to the task of conveying real intellect. That's what worked so well with the IRON MAN movies - it wasn't hard to believe that RDJr. was smart enough to make those things. His solid acting sold it.

And I've been following Spider-Man since comics were 12 cents and I remember being freaked out by how weird and scary some of Steve Ditko's drawaings were. I always remember Spider-Man having web-shooters. The biological webs never made sense to me - why would they shoot from his wrists? They don't shoot from a spider's wrists! I like the drama of him having made them himself. They might run out of web juice - they might get damaged, etc... And it makes him more than just a mutant with powers. He's also resourceful enough to have created some of those powers himself.

I totally agree that was what drew me ta spiderman in th' comics he was a regular guy /w/ th' strength and agility proportionate to a human sized spider but he had a high intellect and was a wiz /w/ chemistry an science.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back